“Consistant with other Harrah's Properties” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Horseshoe Southern Indiana

You added Horseshoe Southern Indiana to your Saves list
Horseshoe Southern Indiana
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11999 Casino Center Drive SE, Elizabeth, IN 47117 (Formerly Caesars Indiana Casino Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elizabeth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sugar Grove, Illinois
“Consistant with other Harrah's Properties”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

This was the 8th Harrah's property we have visited in the last two years (Las Vegas, Tunica, Metropolis, Reno etc.). The rooms are clean but slightly dated and similar to all the other Harrah's. The security is excellent and the staff very helpful, often volunteering advice and direction. As are all Harrah's it is casino based with an excellent steakhouse (Binion's), extensive buffet, 24 hour cafe (lobby at this property) and at least three other food choices. The casino is about 8 miles west of New Albany, Indiana in the middle of "nowhere" on the north bank of the Ohio River. Actually two large power plants are nearby. The facilities (hotel lobby, restaurants, air conditioned or heated walkways in between facilities are on the third level -not on the ground level--seems to be designed to keep spring flooding of the river from extensively damaging the property. The casino itself is a riverboat-4 levels with the lowest level non-smoking. The hotel and riverboat are at opposite ends of the property-be prepared for a long walk. In Indiana, unlike Iowa and Illinois-smoking is allowed within the casino! If you are a non-smoker like me-wear clothes you can put in a plastic bag at the end of gambling-and take a shower--If you go anywhere in the casino-you will smell like an ashtray very quickly. If you have pulmonary problems-find another state to gamble.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I visited Horseshoe Southern Indiana for four days. It's a little drive from the highway exit, but that's not a problem. On my second day, I went on a day trip to visit the Derby Museum at Churchill Downs and the Louisville Slugger Factory. The hotel was very nice! I was pleased to see that Indiana was finally doing something right by only allowing smoking in the casino (which I would give my left arm to be able to enjoy craps without smokers). I passed through the first floor of the casino and it was indeed smoke free. The new law made It nice to pass through the lobby and walkways and not get knocked down by the horrible smell of smoke - the casino is bad enough. The room was great! The hotel was very clean and the hallway on my non-smoker floor smelled fresh and clean. I was very pleased that the casino dealers and pit bosses knew my name by the end of the first day! It wasn't because I was winning or losing big - they were simply nice! They were concerned about me enjoying my visit. I was pleased that there were plenty of food options. Try Legends! I had a great time and it was well worth the ride from east Tennessee to visit the Horseshoe Southern Indiana Casino Hotel. I have a feeling that the people who are upset about the chance of losing money write questionable reviews. I will certainly visit this property again!

Room Tip: I don't have any specific tips. I was on the 6th floor and it was perfect.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Louisville, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I have been over to Horseshoe several times over the past years. IT seems the casino and the hotel have lost their personal touch. It is darn near impossible to get any comps!!! They advertise all over the television and billboards about their "great" comp policies, but unless you seem to be betting 100 a hand, forget it, you'll never get one. Dealers are not personable, pit bosses could care less about you and it is very dirty, the tables for the table games are old and show their age very badly. You are better off to go to Belterra or French Lick.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

To start off, I just wanted to answer an important e-mail... Oh, that will be $10.99 a day for the low-speed Internet, $15.99 for the "high-speed Internet". $24.99 for a couple of microwaved hamburgers at the only place which is open downstairs... You're in the middle of nowhere, and expect at least a 20 min. drive to go get food anywhere else... The following day when (most of)the other restaurants did open up, we found their high prices to be ridiculous... Keeping things in perspective this ain't Las Vegas, but just because there's no other competitors doesn't mean you have to gouge your 'customers' no one I talked to including me won anything in the casino (I don't gamble very much to begin with). They have a "non-smoking floor" I didn't see anyone "non-smoking" in it all night, & they accommodate that with ashtrays at every machine/seat. (Right next to the "non-smoking area" signs. Speaking of smells walking into the indoor pool was like walking into a bottle of bleach, replete with dozens of screaming kids, some "swimming" in the hot tub. Then inside the room, the beds were very uncomfortable, I woke up with a back ache every morning (we only stayed 3 days we left 2 days early) No spa facilities and very limited shopping on-site lead me to recommend this as a no go for anybody who wants to have a good time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Nicholasville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

rooms were great and clean. couldn't ask for better. people were also great...

Room Tip: stay on river side rooms
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
North Olmsted, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Recently stayed 3 nights at the Horseshoe. The room was comped so for us it was a great deal. We thought the room was fine. It was clean and had no odor. We thought ALL of the employees were incredibly nice and really seemed to enjoy their jobs. The walk to the casino was not any longer than you walk in Vegas to get to places. The slots seemed to be paying out good, we even came home with some money, which is something we never plan on doing :). Would stay there again even if we had to pay for the room. Very close to Louisville, which is a lovely city with plenty to do. Nice place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I had not been here since the switch from Caesars to Horseshoe and after staying two nights I can see why I was not in a hurry. The staff with only a few exceptions was not friendly. Front desk was nice and total rewards was nice, but slow. The rooms were average CET Property rooms, nice but not fancy. No sound proofing at all and we could hear the entire room next doors conversations at all hours.The property reeks of smoke more than any other caisno I have been at and I have been at a lot! The casino itself was horrible with smoke and seemed dirty. It also paid very little with poor video poker pay scales. I have really been disapoointed with CET in general lately and their offers are getting horrible. I used to be a diehard CET property guy, but now I will play elsewhere with a better offer. Paula Deens buffet was a disappointment compared to the one in Tunica. The food really was bland and other than the waitress the staff was not friendly at all. The pool is nice and indoors but not well controlled., There were a ton of kids jumping into the pool and almost hitting people and no one said anything. I hit the slot service button once because I had to use the restroom and wanted someone to watch my machine for me and after 45 mins a guy came talked on a walkie talkie and said to reset my machine, but never even asked me why I pushed the button?? huh??? I think next time, I will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Horseshoe Southern Indiana? Share your experiences!