“Don't call it "handicapped accessible" when it's not” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Edinburgh
Chesterton,Indiana
“Don't call it "handicapped accessible" when it's not”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

The only thing that was handicapped accessible about this room was the doors to the room and bathroom. The bathroom had a bathtub with a handrail on the back wall of the tub. no shower chair, or shower platform to sit on for a handicapped person to shower. There were no other handrails anywhere in the bathroom. My husband is confined to a wheelchair and had a great deal of difficulty using the bathroom. The bed was so soft that he almost rolled off of it. I had to sleep in his wheelchair so that he could be comfortable sleeping ACROSS the bed. And bright and early at 7:30 AM the fire alarm went off, I was in the process of changing my husbands wound dressings and had to stop and try to get us both dressed to leave the room. The alarm stopped after 15 minutes, so I could finish what I was doing. The only good thing about this Best Western was the young lady who checked us in, she couldn't have been nicer. It would be nice to be able to trust what their room ads say - when it says the room is handicapped accessible I really expect it to be!

Room Tip: Don't expect the handicapped room to be accessible.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dave A, Owner at BEST WESTERN Horizon Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit. We’re glad to hear you found our front desk extremely helpful and apologize for any inconvenience experienced in your room. We want all our guests to have a comfortable stay and appreciate your honest feedback on this matter. We are constantly looking for areas we need to improve at our hotel and I want to assure you will we take your direct feedback to our hotel improvement and development plans so that we can better serve our wheelchair guests.

Hotel Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Lima, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Never stayed in a Best Western before because I thought it wouldn't be very nice but since it was a spur of the moment trip with minimal amount of money we tried it out. We stayed 3 nights. The receptionist was a hoot and put up and kept up with my husbands humor.....which is not easty lol It was VERY clean and the house keepers went out of their way to accomodate us. I needed a pair of scissors to open a plastic sealed package so I asked them (the house keepers) and the guy went to his cart, got the scissors, opened the package and instead of handing the opened package back to me he took his time to take everything out one by one and then dispose of the trash. Bless his heart, such a sweety! The only thing I noticed was the hallway smelled like cigarette smoke, not sure if Indiana hasn't passsed the smoking ban law or not but we couldn't smell it in the room...thank God! Overall very impressed!!

Room Tip: bathroom sink area was a little small. If you need a larger sink area you might want to ask if all t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dave A, Owner at BEST WESTERN Horizon Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Guest,
We are very happy to hear that you were very impressed with your stay at our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed it so much, and appreciate your recommendation. It sounds like you experienced great customer service from our staff members and a relaxing, clean room. We thank you for staying with us and hope you will do so again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Upon my arrival I called to see if i could do an early check in they said that my 2 rooms would be available, I arrived at 2pm where they informed me that there are NO rooms and that if i did an early check in that it would be a 10$ fee, she gladly told me to wait at the premium outlet, when 3pm came I checked in another customer asked if there was a public restroom for her child to use the service desk employee said No when the customer said " so what he should just pee in the pool" the check in woman said " if that's what you feel he must do go ahead" the entire check in line was in plain disgust, she gave us our rooms one on the first floor and one on the second, the halls smelled of very strong smoke smell and the rooms were musty and damp, when we walked in the room there was urine in the toilet (the room obviously wasn't cleaned) I called down to front desk they said they would send housekeeping, housekeeping showed up with a can of lysol, I then went down to front desk to complain she said there was nothing she could do they were booked, the next morning the breakfast had watery eggs and stale pastries again when I complained there response was really your going to complain off of free food, I left the hotel for my daily plans and upon returning at 4pm my room was not cleaned, no fresh towels I went to front desk to check out ( I was supposed to be there for 5 days) I complained to front desk where I ended up talking to the manager, the manager proceeded to call me a liar and told me I never made complaints! the staff was rude, unfriendly and unhelpful. I WILL NEVER STAY OR RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE!!!!

Dear Guest,
We are sorry to hear your stay was not satisfactory. We have very high standards of cleanliness and are looking into any reasons things may have been missed during your stay. I appreciate your feedback and have noted these items to bring up in our training meetings where we reviews areas we can improve our hotel and service. We hope you will stay with us again to see the many improvements we have made.
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

For $100 per night, I would expect a little better. Very musty and damp. Dirty, dirty worn carpet and heavy smoke odor. Beds are not very comfortable. Pool is indoor but cold. Fitness room had two treadmills and a recumbent bike, but was closed for rehab. 2 story building, no elevator. No laundry. Parking lot shares with a taco bell. And right across the highway are the premium outlets. Would not stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012
We appreciate you staying with us and your honest feedback. We are sorry if we did not live up to your expectations and would a second chance to host you again so that you can experience our excellent customer service. We strive to provide the best value and customer service for our guests and hope you will be able to experience that the next time you visit.
McCormick, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

First experience with Best Western. Should be renamed Worst Western! Room was very dark. Had to place ironing board in front of bathroom in order to see. Bathroom sink/vanity was in the corner of the bathroom with two framed mirrors. If you wanted to see your whole face to shave or do makeup and hair, you had to turn to the right or turn to the left. Very strange! Toilet was very hard to flush, tub faucet leaked, and sink ran slow. Housekeeping couldn't "understand" why we wouldn't let them in while we were in the room.
Breakfast (I use the term loosley) was the pits. Took a code to get a cup of coffee without splattering all over your clothes. Machine was broken the three days we stayed there.Served expired yogurts. Dining area was to small and they only served until 9, even on the weekends. We went out for breakfast on the last day. Breakfast is part of your room rate and that should not happen. We travel a lot and we will never consider Worst Western again.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the ice machine and elevator.
Dear Guest,
We are sorry to hear the feedback from your stay with us. I appreciate your feedback and have noted these items in our assessments of where the hotel could use improvements. We hope you will stay with us again to see the many improvements we have made.
Schaumburg, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

The carpet on the stairs is very worn. Carpet is the room needs cleaning. The refrigerator is the room didn't work. The firs day went to get coffee downstairs and the coffee machine didn't work UGH!!! and the lady working the breakfast area was aware of the problem. Second morning skipped the coffee and as I was walking out, I overheard someone say the waffle machine was broken.
I guess you get what you pay for. It was the lowest price in the area.

Dear Guest,
We are sorry to hear you were disappointed during your stay. We are continually making updates to the hotel and appreciate your feedback and business. We are adding your notes to our list of areas of improvements to make. We hope you will come back to see the updates made since your last visit.
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed a week and were well satisfied. We chose a "handicapped accessible" room because it was the size for two queens but just had one queen, giving us more room for our stuff. I'm not sure it would be the greatest for someone in a wheel chair. I am 5' 4'' and had difficulty using the sink. It was raised so high I couldn't brush my teeth comfortably. Other than that, no complaints. The bed was comfortable, the room was quiet in spite of being near the lobby, and breakfast was good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at BEST WESTERN Horizon Inn, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us feedback from your recent stay. We appreciate your comments and are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our value and hotel amenities, like free breakfast, make us a great place to stay. We hope we will be able to host you again in the future!

Hotel Owner

Been to BEST WESTERN Horizon Inn? Share your experiences!