“Nice property…but horribly smoky!” 4 of 5 stars

Ameristar Casino Hotel East Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   777 Ameristar Boulevard, East Chicago, IN 46312   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in East Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice property…but horribly smoky!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

My overall appeal to this casino is nice. They have a beautiful hotel and plenty of places to snack and eat at, the area around the casino is generally industrial. I liked that the exit from in-912 was the actual exit for the casino. I've been to horseshoe many times and driving from calumet to the casino is such a drag with all the lights/traffic. This was way easier to get too!

The casino is an actual boat! Which means there are several floors, and you will find yourself cramped at times. All the cool "main" slots are in the entranceway, floor 2, which is where you will generally find most people play. But go to the other floors and they are usually not as busy.

As with my main general complaint as a non-smoker, I absolutely hate hate hate the smoky atmosphere. I came around noon and it wasn't so bad, however later in the day I started to stink!

The non-smoking slot area is ridiculously small and at the top floor, which generally makes no sense because smoke rises haha…but oh well.

Great slots, friendly staff, nice property. Will be back soon.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed here when it was Harrah's and Resorts. Same room. Nice size. Ameristar has redecorated and it is great; real modern ...chic. Enjoyed our one night stay. Room was comped, but i would pay to stay again. Gambling is entertainment and I entertained myself. Ate at the sports cafe. Had the nachos ; very good, fair price.

Room Tip: cheaper rates weekdays
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hammond, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

"Here's your room key" said the receptionist and that was the last time I heard from her. The rooms are quite nice and luxurious. The all marble bathrooms were a delight and the big, flat screen TV was welcoming. That's it. No room services. Nothing. If you need food, you'd have to go hunt for it within the recesses of "the boat". That was a deal breaker. I suppose for the price, that problem could be overlooked. Certainly worth the try, though.

• Stayed October 2013
Highland, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

This is not only the best casino hotel in the area but the best hotel in the area. The rooms are always clean and the beds are super comfortable. There is a huge soaking tub to get lost in for hours. The staff is friendly and willing to get whatever you need to make your stay comfortable (within reason, of course). I feel very safe in this hotel and casino even when traveling alone. I highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dearborn Heights, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

This is a great place with upgraded room and good food. The staff is usually friendly and always acknowledge and smile. There was a glitch with check in this time, the person was rather rude and actually walked away and let a co worker finish check in without saying a word. The bellman can be rather pushy, otherwise great place and generous comps

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Megan A, Guest Relations Manager at Ameristar Casino Hotel East Chicago, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
I'm so sorry to hear this. Your feedback certainly does not match the quality experience we want our guests to have while staying with us. We would like to follow up with you. If you send your contact information and details of your visit to Guest.Services@pnkmail.com, I will forward to the hotel management team for quality assurance training. Thank you for staying with us and we sure do look forward to your next visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

I love staying here! I mostly come for the room, but sometimes play in the casino. Every time I come here I feel like I am rich! From the king sized beds to the modern upgrades in the rooms, it is always perfect and the staff always treat you so nice. If you need somewhere to escape, this is the place! They even have great views of Lake Michigan!

• Stayed January 2014
Beloit, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I have stay'd here many times and I absolutely LOVE the place. I believe they only have two smoking floors, 11 & 12. And the top floor 15 (high rollers and VIP reserved floor) I think is optional. I NEVER smell smoke when first entering a smoking room. They always smell fresh to me. The rooms are always VERY clean and well appointed. The picture reviews on this page truly do this property justice! Only CONS are the past few visits the wi-fi signal has been very weak and I depend on said for business connections when I am there. The other is that generally one HAS to book early as this place fills up FAST most of the time.

The food at the Buffet is EXCELLENT as far as I'm concerned. Well prepared, very tasty, and Beautifully Presented. They do not try to wow you w/ expensive cuts of meat or Flamboyant Over-the-Top Dishes that though might be "pretty" - never seem to taste right in a buffet setting. Instead they have GOOD, HARDY, TASTY food that makes you want to come back for more! Price? that is very reasonable too!

Casino? --
perhaps it is a little tighter than the other nearby local properties. But I win there enough to keep me playing there! And for the beautiful experience of staying and eating here, I do not mind giving them a little play.

Location? --
A little hard to get to until one learns their way around this heavily industrialized area of Lake Michigan.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Megan A, Guest Relations Manager at Ameristar Casino Hotel East Chicago, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Thanks for being our guest and for sharing your experiences. We're so glad you enjoy your time at Ameristar and I'll definitely forward your compliments along to our staff. We look forward to your next visit.

Been to Ameristar Casino Hotel East Chicago? Share your experiences!