“Looking forward to a return visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Thelma's Bed and Breakfast

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crawfordsville
Thelma's Bed and Breakfast
2710 State Road 32 east, Crawfordsville, IN 47933   |
Bethesda, MD
“Looking forward to a return visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

My husband and I chose Thelma's B&B as home base for a two day visit to Indiana. The B&B was Thelma's home from the time of her marriage in 1923 to her death in 2000. Her family has beautifully restored the home, added a more private room in the back (the Cottage), and maintained the acreage around the home as a place for visitors to relax and explore.

We chose the Cottage - which offered us great privacy. The room is simple, and best suited to a short stay - there are hooks on the wall for hanging clothes, and there is no dresser to unpack your luggage - but the furnishings are attractive an comfortable. We were there for the first snowstorm of the season, and therefore had to use the in-room heater, but grew accustomed to the sound, and slept quite comfortably.

We really enjoyed meeting our host and other members of Thelma's family, and we made good use of their recommendations for places to eat. We particularly enjoyed our meals at the brightly decorated Little Mexico, where we had wonderful shrimp and chicken mole.

We would definitely return there.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

3 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
NL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

It was either one night at the Hilton Netherland Plaza in Cincinnati, OH or Thelma's in Crawfordsville, IN. I picked the latter and I didn't regret it one bit.

I did not stay for the area since I was on my way to the next city (St. Louis) and I guess Crawfordsville might not be that exciting. I arrived late and left after breakfast so I didn't have time to check it out.
But Turkey Run State Park in nearby and so is Rockville, IN with it's annual "Covered Bridge Festival". Both worth a visit.

Very friendly, helpful, laid-back and youthful inn-keepers Stephanie and Doug. The building is very nice and the rooms are of high standard, very nicely renovated. I really enjoyed staying at Thelma's. Great atmosphere. Kind of like as if you're at home, family-like.

Last but not least a nice breakfast.

So definitely good value for money. Recommended.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

My wife, 5-year-old, and I stayed at Thelma's over a weekend in October 2008 for Wabash College homecoming. We arrived late and the proprietor was very patient and gracious. We stayed in the new addition in the rear of the house.

Everything about our stay was restful, easy, and enjoyable. The innkeeper and our 5-year-old made fast friends. The place is quiet, despite numerous guests that busy weekend, and my daughter and I watched the combine gathering soybeans from a neighboring field one morning.

The bathroom and shower in the rear addition is small, but fine for most people. There is a kitchen and refrigerator available for use, with prior arrangement. The innkeeper is the nicest person you could meet -- Thelma's grandson, a tile setter, who moved back to Crawfordsville from the West Coast to take care of the house. He told us that all proceeds go to preserving Thelma's house for another hundred years. In this new time of scarcity, what better way to spend money while traveling.

The quality of the room and the price can't be beat, especially with some chain hotels of questionable safety along I-65, I-74, and around Indy. We've stayed in chain hotels in Crawfordsville, Cloverdale, Indianapolis, and Lebanon for 22 years, and Thelma's is the best place.

We visited Greencastle and Shades State Park from Thelma's, and recommend it as a home base for visiting all the beautiful state parks of western Indiana and the Wabash River valley. It's also good for folks visiting Wabash College.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family

Been to Thelma's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!