“False Advertisement” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Corydon
Bardstown, Kentucky
“False Advertisement”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I frequent HIE and this one was a disappointment. I asked for directions to a local funeral home and was told some would be in at 4pm who might know. I was thinking a local would know the best route. The HVAC is awful! Steaming hot in hallways, passage to elevator and lift as well. My room, 206, was humid. The a/c system was still on a button push system and continually froze up regardless of the suggestions for tweaking the unit from the night manager. It was 9pm when returned to my room. The carpets were stained on the room and hallways. Beds were not comfortable. This is not the fault of the people who work there now. This is a corporate level issue. "Refreshed", is a false advertisement. When I return next month, I'm staying at the Hampton Inn. I don't mind paying $100 a night for a room, but not for this quality.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Corydon, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Dear laura r,

I appreciate that you took the time to leave a review of our property. It is disappointing that we fell below your expectations on several aspects particularly with the condition of the air conditioning systems and beds being sub par. We have taken note of the points that you have raised in this review and it will be addressed with management to consider for upgrades needed on our end.

Again, we appreciate the candid feedback and our apologies for the shortcomings experienced.

Pam G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We were visiting Holiday World and didn't want to have to drive the long trip home after a long day at the amusement park, so we looked for a hotel fairly close by. Of course, there isn't much closer than an hour away. I thought the hotel was very clean, had a really nice breakfast included and the beds were actually quite comfortable! The room also came with a microwave and small refrigerator. The pool was clean and no one was using it when we were there. The check-in/check-out was very easy and quick. The other guests must have gone on a bad day and just got bad luck with a room because I was very pleased with our room and stay. The one thing that was kind of annoying was that there wasn't an ice machine on our floor. One of the first things my husband does when we stay at a hotel is fill the ice chest up with ice. He was a little frustrated that he had to go down a floor to get ice, but maybe they were in the process of getting one on the 3rd floor. To me, that wasn't a deal breaker. If you are looking for a comfortable, clean reasonably priced hotel, then I would suggest this one!

Lafayette
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

After some confusion at check in, we were able to get in our room early. The lady at the front desk that helped us was very pleasant. Our kids enjoyed the pool and hot tub. Breakfast was very good! Those cinnamon rolls are addictive! Our room was very big, and they were able to get us a roll away bed for our kids. Our only complaint was our carpet was pretty wet by the air conditioning unit. Overall, an enjoyable stay!

Stayed July 2014
Corydon, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Definitely not pleased with my stay. Upon entering the room, the room smelled old, stale and smoky. The room obviously was used as a smoking room at some point in the past and that smell hasn't subsided. I'm asthmatic, and thus my body immediately reacts to this left-over residue. There are pieces of carpet that were cut up that were obviously places where there had been cigarette burns. The area behind the bed hasn't been vacuumed in a long time. The carpet in the upstairs hallway is old and wearing.

The pool was a bit on the cold side, and the hot tub wasn't working properly for some of the other guests.

I asked the receptionist about the smoky smell and changing rooms. She attempted to pretend that the room had never been smoked in. After I didn't cave in, she finally admitted to the room having been smoked in. I then preceded to ask about changing rooms. She was insistent that there were no available rooms, but I don't believe it as there were many dark, quiet rooms. But I can't be certain of that truth. She offered to move us to Baymont Inn. At this point it's 9:30 PM and time for the kids to go to bed, so we stayed at the Holiday Inn. At no point in our conversation did the receptionist apologize for the condition of the room.

I will not be coming back. I'd advise you to find another hotel.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Corydon, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear Joey B,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay. I trust we can regain your confidence in our products and services.

Dhan M
Kalispell, Montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

At first I was going to give this hotel an Average rating but after second thought decided it did not warrant being put into that category as I will not stay here again. I will simply stay in Louisville or drive on to the next town if heading west.

The check-in process was very slow and there was only one family in front of me when I arrived. I guess the front desk attendant was having a bad night. When I got to the room I noticed the HVAC system did not work at all in the stairwells, worked slightly better in the hallways and was average at cooling the actual room. I can not stand a warm room when spending a night at any hotel. The beds were way too soft and I woke with a stiff back. My kids tried to go down to the hot tub and pool area but the pool was tiny and the one person sitting in the hot tub took up the entire thing. There was literally no room for another person. The person was a large individual but the hot tub was also no bigger than most bathtubs. It was obvious that the hotel must have been re-branded into a Holiday Inn Express as it appeared to be in a building that been around longer than HIE has been in existence. I'm a bit surprised IHG allowed it to wear it's brand. The only thing it did have going for it is that it is most likely the nicest hotel in Corydon as there wasn't much to pick from in that small town. In any event, I won't ever be there again.

Travelbrainstorm[dot]com

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Corydon, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear TravelBrainStorm,

Thank you for writing a review on your recent stay. It seems that your experience during check-in, issues with the air conditioning system, and pool area prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for the shortcomings you may have experienced. Please know that this is not reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves in.

Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and services we offer to our guests. We would follow up your concerns to the hotel management and we are confident they will take necessary actions to improve our guest satisfaction. We do hope you would consider us again when you can enjoy all the hotel amenities.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Morgantown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

There was nothing really special about this Holiday Inn Express room. The room itself was rather small when compared to, say, the typical Hampton Inn room. It had a very small refrigerator. We had to unplug the clock radio. Some cell phone or CB radio interference was picked up by the clock from time to time. The AC was good, room was clean, bed was adequate. Not bad overall, but the price was a tad high. Restaurants, stores, gas nearby. Staff very friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Corydon, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Michael E,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased that we were able to provide you with a friendly and adequate accommodation.

Although I would have preferred that you had a better stay, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts regarding our facility. We will use your feedback in making decisions about possible upgrades and pricing strategies in the future.

Faith R
IHG Care
Terre Haute, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here one night for a getaway long weekend. Clean, friendly, acceptable breakfast, basically, your typical Holiday Inn. Price is a little on the high side for my liking, but prices are rising on everything these days, I suppose. A little hard to find at night, signs could be bigger.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Corydon, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear DebbieK947,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I am pleased that we have met your expectations regarding our friendly accommodation and complimentary breakfast.

I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with locating our hotel. I have noted your concern about our road signs to reconsider improvements to avoid the same incident from happening in the future.

As for the room rates, we strive to provide a competitive rate in the area. It is not our intent to inconvenient our guests instead provide rate options that make sense. Nevertheless, this point has also been taken into account for future reference.

Faith R
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Corydon? Share your experiences!