“Not a good way to end vacation” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Kintner House Inn

Kintner House Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Corydon
Kintner House Inn
You added Kintner House Inn to your Saves list
101 S. Capitol Ave., Corydon, IN 47112   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Corydon B&B and Inns
Muncie, Indiana
“Not a good way to end vacation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

On our way home from Bardstown, Ky we decided to spend our last night of vacation in cute and historical Corydon. We have visited there before for just a day and it fits our bill for a quiet little nook. We found the Kinter house on the internet and the reviews were nearly all favorable so we booked a room.

Just to preface this review, my husband and I are experienced B&B visitors. We have stayed in properties from PA, to Virigina, Kentucky and even Ireland, so this isn't our first rodeo. I read a couple of the less than stellar reviews and didn't give them much credence, as everyone can have a bad experience.

But, I need to be clear. You need to pay attention to the reviews that mention some of the issues with this property, because they are all correct.

When we arrived we were greeted by the innkeeper She was a nice lady who actually let us choose another room in the hotel after we viewed ours. She offered this before we even went upstairs. The property is neat on the outside, the landscaping clean and tasteful. The house is older and similar to other homes we have visited on first glance. Pretty little parlour, dining room etc.

When chose to stay in the William Henry Harrison honeymoon suite because it had a king size bed and a larger bathroom. Once we got to our room, the problems with this property became apparent. The home is clean, but not immaculate and the hardwood floors need a lot of work. Again, I'm not picky, so as long as its clean we are ok. We should have realized we were in for problems when we saw a flashlight on the bed side (which didn't work mind you). The house must have electrical issues. We turned on the bathroom light and they flickered several times before coming on, and one switch didn't seem to do anything. Some of the outlets on the floor were broken around the edges and the lamps flickered when coming on too. I was somewhat afraid our electronic things would start a fire.

Again, this is an old place, so we didn't give it much mind. Then we got on the bed. I've slept on some bad beds before, but this was so hard I could have bounced a quarter of it and lumpy. The pillow cases were so pilled that I had to put my sweatshirt over it to stop the scratchiness. The roomed smelled similar to an older ladies home where she never opens the window. My husband said, old house smell, but I didn't smell that in other B&Bs.

We didn't sleep hardly at all that night. We would wake up and it was only an hour later. We almost went on home, but didn't want to be charged for not staying. We got up early, skipped breakfast and just left.

The ladies we met were nice enough, Alice was very sweet, and Dee was nice too. But this place needs some serious TLC. I couldn't give it an average due to the condition of the room. We were in the honeymoon suite. This is supposed to be the nicest room in the place right?

Maybe other rooms were nicer, but I just couldn't bring myself to give this an average. For the nicer appeal of the lobby and the nicenness of the staff I didn't give it a terrible, but we will never come here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
converse, indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Our stay was very nice. The breakfasts were extremely tasty! Our room was on the 3rd floor - the schoolmaster's room - was very nice and extremely clean. Our bed was very comfortable. There is no elevator so that could be problematic for some visitors. Our only complaint was that our room was hot - there is no individual temperature control in each room - no ceiling fan or way to move air. On our second night we went to the store and bought a fan! Much better after that. We would definitely stay here again! Nice little town.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Not a bad stay but could have been much better. Room was very hot and you cannot control the temperature. You are at the mercy of whoever is running the front desk. It was very noisy. You could hear everyone walking around. We made a mistake and got the room across from the kitchen. The bed was not comfortable and sunk in the middle. The pillows felt like napkins. Breakfast was good, but you have to eat on their time. Overall would not stay again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

My husband and I frequent the Corydon area to visit his friend. This is our favorite place to stay. The porch is on the "main street" and there are rocking chairs and a nice swing. I enjoyed sitting out there reading my book and just listening to the sounds of a small city. the bed was comfortable, the breakfast was excellent and we have a great time. I recommend this place to anyone who wants to get away form the big city.

Room Tip: The floors are creaky so if that wakes you up you may want to try a room on the third floor - the do...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

The Bed & Breakfast is located very close to downtown. We ate across the street at a restaurant named Alberta's. It was fantastic. A young boy showed us around the Inn and he was a delight. I hope he is there if you choose to go.

Room Tip: Check out the rooms on the second and third floor before booking. We stayed on the first floor and...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We really enjoyed the tour guide, Miss Kathy, at the Indiana Caverns! She was funny and very informative. This cave was just opened in June of 2013.

We stayed at the Kintner House Inn, which is a quaint historic home with lots of history, in old Corydon. Our room, the President Harrison Room, was very large with a large bathroom but it was very cold so you should ask for a second blanket and wear warm pajamas! All rooms are controlled with a thermostat down at the registration desk. Our room needed a good dusting of the blinds, under the bed and the whole inn could use professional cleaning! Our tub had a shower curtain which needed to be shortened to stay inside the tub but not on the floor of the tub, since it kept stopping up the drain. The linens were great and the bed comfortable.

That evening the manager let us set up a card table and chairs for our game of bridge. She was
very accommodating and the next morning we had a great hot home-cooked breakfast with quiche, grits, fruit, and several sweet breads. There was also a cookie jar of chocolate chip cookies for us to snack on when we arrived at the Inn.

This property was made into the present Inn in the late 80's and so some things need updating such as worn upholstery, etc.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Mt. Sterling
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Kintner House Inn exhibits the best of what a B&B should be, plus much more! This historic old house features the most beautiful and historic furniture and architecture I've ever seen in a place of lodging. My only major problem with it - and the reason for the Average review - was their HVAC system. The temperature cannot be controlled in each room individually because of the way the HVAC system is designed. When I stayed there, on 8-31-2013, the temperature in my room was only 69 degrees F. and could not be changed. Altho I did not measure the temperature in other parts of the house, my room did not feel like the coldest spot. Also, it was obvious from the filthy ductwork that the air filters were not changed often. In summation: If you like cool places to stay, this place offers everything, including a great home-cooked breakfast! But if you like your room warmer than 69 degrees, either bring your own heater or find other lodging.

Room Tip: Bring your own electric heater if you like sleeping and bathing in warm rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Kintner House Inn? Share your experiences!