“Rented room twice” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Columbus
Niles, MI
“Rented room twice”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Hotel is very basic. At about 12:30 in the morning they had someone come into our room because they checked to room out to someone else. Was asleep and all of a sudden the door opens and two strangers were just as surprised as us to have people in the room. WIll never stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Terrible, dirty, smelly, massive maintenance issues, unprofessional gm (Tom) and unsafe feeling due to the people aloud to loitering around facility! Was the worst experience with a hotel I have ever had! DO NOT subject your family or friends to this location!

• Stayed May 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This hotel is probably in the worse condition of any that I have seen. The pictures posted are very misleading. When we arrived, we notice structural and maintenance issues as well as people loitering around. Since we arrived before the cancellation deadline, we attempted to cancel the reservation we had made before even checking in due to safety and health concerns with this hotel. Unfortunately, the general manger, Tom (refused to provide his full name), claimed that he changed the cancellation deadline and that we had now missed the deadline and we would still have to pay for the room. However, our decision not to stay was solidified when another guest came to the office to ask for a different room since the one he was just given smelled of urine. Obviously the hotel is in a very dire need of funding and maintenance, otherwise the GM wouldn't have been so unprofessional about our cancellation nor would a guest be so explicit about the conditions of their room in front of others. I highly recommend not subjecting your health and welfare to this establishment.

• Stayed May 2013
mpls
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

A quick place to stop on a long trip. We needed some sleep so we stopped at this location. This is a bare minimum hotel. You get a bed, a shower and a TV, not much else. Quiet? No you don't get that. The hooker who set up shop in the room next to us saw to that. The cars coming in and out all night and the party she had going was enough for us to make a phone call. They came down yelled at them and it was quiet until her next trick came over.
The rooms are old and outdated. You get no shampoo if you need a shower. There are plenty of other hotels in the area, avoid this one.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from anyone who has set up shop in the hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

First things first: if you stay at a Motel 6 you should expect bare bones accommodations. They are no frills, and they state that clearly in their ads. I honestly have no problem with that. I travel with things like shampoo and soap, and I have an alarm on my iPhone; therefore, I don't really "need" the hotel to supply these things. Motel 6's ads emphasize that they give a "clean, comfortable room at the lowest price of any national chain." In order to get those low prices you have to sacrifice things like shampoo and a large enough bar of soap to actually finish your shower. As a result, it's really not fair to fault them for lacking these things, or alarm clocks. I even remember when the Motel 6 chain was in its infancy in the late 60s and had PAY TELEVISION SETS. At least the facility did have cable TV and wi-fi.

Having said that, there are some things that even a Motel 6 should have; for example, towels instead of white strings that you can read a newspaper through hanging on the towel rack. And saying "white" is a little unkind, given that one of the "clean" washcloths was covered with black and yellow stains. A bath towel and the bath mat were also threadbare and dirty to the point where they should have been discarded or relegated to the rag pile. The air conditioner in my room also didn't work. Granted, it was "comfortable" outside (low 70s) but if you're going to have an A/C in a room it should work.

The worst problem was the fact that this is obviously not living up to the "clean" part of the commercials. It almost reminded me of another chain that featured someone getting into bed wearing a Hazmat suit. The major problem was not on the carpet or the walls, it was in the air. When I walked in the room reeked of air freshener, almost to the point where the first thing I thought was, "Why did they spray so much? What odors are they trying to cover up with the overkill?" I would warn anyone with allergies, respiratory problems, and/or issues with sensitivities to scents to STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. I spent the next morning tethered to my nebulizer because of the air freshener stench.

The carpet was also very dirty. I cannot really fault the property if someone who apparently walked through a dozen fresh oil spills in a parking lot stayed here. If any hotel had to replace their carpets after every person with overly dirty shoes trudged through they couldn't stay in business. Still, it would be nice if they at least gave the appearance that they tried to clean the stains out of the carpet. The bathroom area had faux hardwood flooring instead of carpet, and maybe that would be a better option than the terribly dirty carpets. At least the flooring was clean.

There are plenty of other hotels in the immediate vicinity, and with a little negotiating on Priceline you can get a room for a few dollars more than the regular rate at the Columbus Motel 6. Even paying full price at the Hilton Garden is worth it to avoid the problems at this particular Motel 6.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta, Ga.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed at this location as a late overnight on the way back from Chicago. The bid sites did not show anything interesting, so we chose this hotel based on price. Most Motel 6 locations are not that bad for the money. You arrive late, sleep, and out early the next morning. They are not destination motels by any means. This location was disgusting. I made a reservation on my smartphone from the road, so we would secure a non smoking room with 2 beds, non smoking, micro/fridge and requested a no pet room. I booked a room with a micro/fridge, thinking this would be a better room, as this is a trend with this brand. The clerk could not read the reservation properly as she said it was for 1 person & none of the notes I added were in her view. We were not provided a micro/fridge or non pet room as outlined in the reservation. OK, we got the 2 beds and forget the micro/fridge as it was late, wanted to get to sleep and up early next day to continue home. Motel 6 should be ashamed of having the property under their brand, and will be once they look into my complaint. The room had a fly which husband had to swat with one of the few clean towels. You could see marks on the wall where it looks like other customer have had this problem. Lots of flies in the midwest. The carpet was dirty with pet stains in places. The room smelled, so have a feeling this first floor room was a pet room. The soap was some generic Indian brand and not the typical Motel 6 branded soap. I bring my own, so theirs went in the trash. The bath towel I used looked like one of their own beige worn out towels. Complete with a hole. Not a hotel stock towel. The air would stop in the middle of night. Husband had to clean the vent and we still had to switch it to vent and then back to cool so it would work. We did this several times during the night. Never again at this location. A few exits down, we saw a Motel 6 with interior corridors that looked better. The good reviews for this location must be from friends or owners, because this motel is a fleabag. It is one of those where the foreign owners live there and clean the rooms themselves. I hear Columbus is a nice town, but had not interest to explore after not getting a good night's sleep and having to get on the road home.

Room Tip: Anything but this. There are other options on the exit as well as a better looking Motel 6 a few exi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Muskego, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This was the worst experiance I have ever had. Employee outside smoking, room numbers hanging sideways, holes in the walkway upstairs. Then get into the room and get attacked by fleas, how gross. Requested my money back and was given a hard time, asked if we wanted a different room REALLY!!! how gross!!

Room Tip: Keep going down the road
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Motel 6 Columbus? Share your experiences!