“Courtyard of 10 years ago” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Columbus
Las Vegas, NV
“Courtyard of 10 years ago”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stay at lots of Marriott properties. I'd be gold level if not for my love of Priceline when I travel personally. This property was a flash from the past because this is the first Courtyard I've seen in a long time that hasn't got the big internet fueled display screen letting you know all sorts of important things like weather and tourist stuff, instead it has a sticky board with printouts of weather and tourist stuff. The furnishing is just as I remember as well. Retro is not so bad.

We would not visit IN in February but things happen and we had to. The hotel was almost empty. There were 9 cars in the lot one morning we stayed and the property has 90 rooms. No doubt this added to the fact that it was dead silent. Even A/C and refrigerator were quiet. One night had an upstairs neighbor but it was barely noticeable.

Great beds, great linens except the towels were a bit thin (the pool towels were better). Good TV but limited to premium channels. Mini refrigerator and small microwave. Two outlets on desk so we could charge cell phone and iPad at same time.

There is some cracked flooring in the hall adjacent to the pool that may be a trip hazard. I would encourage them to fix it or at least cover with a mat of somebody may get hurt.

Something about swimming in February is great fun. It's cheating the fact that there is light snow outside. The indoor and pool and Jacuzzi spa were clean. I swam three times in our three days. A hop in the jacuzzi between laps gave me time to catch my breath. I passed on the treadmills and elliptical and other equipment which all looked to be in good shape.

The property is off I-65 going west on 46. The sign is a bit small so we missed it and had to backtrack. I used Priceline and got a great price. Continental breakfast was free (to include Monday morning) but they charge for hot breakfast on weekdays. Nice people.

Would stay again.

Room Tip: If property is almost empty the ground floor is great because it's faster to the pool and breakf...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Torrance, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

On my last business trip to Columbus Indiana I stayed at the Courtyard Tipton Lakes. Just off I-65, the location was very convenient with many eateries close by and only an off ramp away from my final destination. The Staff here was very nice and they took care of all my needs and requests. Since I had to start early I love that the hot buffett breakfast was ready at 6:00AM. I also enjoy the complimetary coffee all day and a microwave and small refrigerator in my room. The lounge area is nice but there is no dinner service. If supplies are needed there is a Sam's Club and Walmart on the opposite side of highway I-65. Rooms are quiet, hot water was hot. For me it worked.

Room Tip: upper floors away from the elevators
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Kankakee, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I've stayed at a lot of hotels, and all have had problems but they usually made up for them in other ways. We just wanted to "get away" and relax. So in looking, their website advertized a pool and hot tub, continental breakfast, you know.. the works. A little more pricey, but we figured it was worth it.
First, we arrived late at night, looking for the hotel. Going around the curve we almost blew a tire because we missed the entrance. Why? it was pitch black and no lights lit the dark driveway.
Second, when we got to check in we were informed the pool/hot tub weren't working-no notice on the website about that. no comps for it either when we said it was the main reason for booking there. We were told to walk across the street if we wanted to swim. Yea, right.
Third, we asked about the continental breakfast. No problem...for $7.50 a pop. Yea, right.
Fourth, when checking in, I was asked for a credit card..although I pre-paid online. Not a usual problem, except they charged me $9.12 for "incidentals", even before we checked in! They refunded the money after 3 days and my complaining about it.
Room was ok, nothing special but the treatment received and not even a "sorry about this" has left a bad feeling about any Marriot I would ever consider staying at.

Room Tip: call and ask detailed questions..no matter what their web site advertizes. It will save you from a b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbus Tipton Lakes, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations and I am actively working with our team to ensure safety is our first priority. I understand your frustration with our pool being out of service; we are in the process of upgrading the pool area and will have a beautiful new one shortly. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your comments on our breakfast selection and pool area in mind as we continually work to improve our guests’ experience. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area. Thank you again for making me aware of your concerns.

Warm regards,

Barry Volkers
Indianapolis, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

We waiting a long time for someone to come to the front desk. The lobby is beautiful, but the pool and hot tub were closed for repairs. We were very excited to get a room with a balcony because my friend smokes. Unfortunately, we found a wasp nest inside the light so we didn't sit outside very long. The breakfast buffet was very well stocked but it was $7.95. I slept very well. Nice place.

• Stayed November 2012
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

A quick overnight stay at this hotel for business was pleasant overall. This is an older property but mostly well kept. The room featured a huge 46 inch flat screen TV, a soft but comfortable bed, and a generous work desk with free wi-fi internet. The bathroom and linens were adequate. The only flaw was an extremely noisy heater fan. Luckily the weather was mild so I didn't have to run it, otherwise the noise would have drowned out any phone calls or the TV. However, my business partner who stayed in a different room didn't have this issue so it's most likely a maintenance problem (Room 210 - management please take note).

Other nice things were a courteous and helpful front desk staff and a decent breakfast buffet featuring eggs, sausage, bacon and do-it-yourself waffles. There's also an indoor pool and fitness center that I didn't have a chance to check out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Andrea T, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbus Tipton Lakes, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent trip to Columbus and for sharing your review. I will absolutely follow up on the few issues you encountered during your visit with us.

We were thrilled to read how you enjoyed our location, services and food quality. We will celebrate those with our Ambassadors as we do so enjoy when we go above and beyond our guests' expectations.

Thank you again and we look forward to your return.
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

My wife and I had spent the day at the Scottish Festival and were ready for a little "wind down" time..... and this was the place to land! Courteous and helpful employees..... room was immaculately clean and in order. Beds?..... ah the beds..... meant to see what brand they were before we left. Having had back problems for several years, I've become accustomed to just "living" with whatever bed I found myself in.... but here at the Marriott, I was to enjoy a new experience. I slept for a straight 8 hrs.... I'm usually up two to three times a night. The pool area was as clean and in order as our room. I can say nothing but good things about this hotel.... and would wish everyone to enjoy the experience that my wife and I shared with our stay here. To Marriott.... I raise my glass.... and would give to all a sincere and appreciative thank you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrea T, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbus Tipton Lakes, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us and for your kind words about our hotel and our team which we are extremely proud of. We so look forward to the pleasure of your stay very soon.
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

This is a decent Courtyard in a quiet location a few miles from downtown Columbus. The hotel has not yet been converted to the Bistro and they did not offer free breakfast to Platinum Members. The hotel itself is pretty typical of the older Courtyard set up and was comfortable. My main complaint was the extremly bad wireless connection. I actually gave up and used my air card! The staff was friendly and helpful. I would stay here again should future travels bring me to Columbus.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Andrea T, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbus Tipton Lakes, responded to this review, September 10, 2012

Thank you again and we look forward to your return.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Columbus Tipton Lakes? Share your experiences!