“Pretty Nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Clarksville
Columbus, Indiana
“Pretty Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

This was our first time staying at a Candlewood Suites. Based on the latest Tripadvisor reviews, we were hesitant, but they had a super deal on a "points" stay, so decided to take a chance. Glad we did. We were quickly greeted and check in went smoothly.

Our room on the fourth floor was very spacious. A little worn, but clean. Very large livingroom/kitchen area and nice-sized bedroom. Great towels in the bathroom.

Check out was also quick. We went in and out of the hotel several times, and there was always someone at the front desk. (This was a concern based on previous reviews.)

Walking distance to Outback Steakhouse. There are many other restaurants/shopping within a mile or so, which would be easily walkable in nice weather.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Lexington, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I am a platinum member with IHG, never had any problems with staying at Candlewood Suites before. I travel with my business a lot and love staying in places that I feel I am welcome. On this day I arrive at a Candlewood in Clarksville Indiana, tired and ready to relax, my wife and I didnt want to drive no more and was pretty excited to know we had found a Candlewood on the exit we had decided to eat on. Had a nice waiter at Cheddars tell us how to get there, and that the rooms, and staff was very friendly. We got to the hotel, and I went in to see if they had any available rooms. When I got inside I was pleased that the hotel was nice, neat and very clean. But I wasnt pleased with no one being at the front desk. I waited about 10 mins before I realized that no one was there working. I dont know if they dont have a staff at all times, or if they were just busy. My wife later called the hotel to see if they had any rooms before we got on the interstate and found the next one in Louisville, and to our surprise a young lady answered. My wife just aske her if they had any rooms and how much. She said yes, was very quick to get off the phone so my wife just said thank you and let her go. Im not sure if she was extremely busy or if we was just a bother but either way I know that when we are back in Clarksville we will make the extra trip to stay at Candlewood in Louisville

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Louisville North, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Brady J,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience. It is unfortunate you were unable to stay at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Greenwood, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

First time staying at a Candlewood, and I have to say it was a bit disappointing. Upon our arrival, We were greeted by a young lady named Kayla. Check in was quick, however with it being our first time staying at an extended stay, we were not sure what to expect, and Kayla was not very informative. She seemed very eager to get us out of her hair. The more questions we asked, the more her tone changed, and she began getting "huffy". I later realized why when we came down to check out the facility (since we weren't told much) and she was in the lobby with a young man (I assume her bf) playing and being touchy. Not professional. The worst part is, she hardly noticed us walk by. All in all, our stay was ok. The rooms were great and clean, and the rest of the hotel was nice, but I don't see us returning to this location again.

Stayed January 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Louisville North, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear By6064,

Ben J
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Although I travel regularly, this was my first visit at a Candlewood. I didn't really know what to expect other than through the reviews here on Tripadvisor, so I wasn't disappointed but surprised. The room I had was equipped with a kitchenette, but the actual living space was very small. As others have said, there is no breakfast but you can make your own. Making meals seems to be what at least some folks do because the halls smelled a bit like cooked meat. Such was the case of the odor that came from the room next to me. Not long lasting, but the smell was bad. All in all, not a terrible stay but not something I plan to do on a regular basis.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Louisville North, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Coach5000,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at the hotel, we would like to thank you for providing your feedback. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties.

Regards,

Brenda J.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Well, check in was fine and quick. The woman at the counter had her boyfriend sitting in the Libby watching tv (we later came down as we came and went and she was sitting out there with him). She left a few hours later, I'm assuming she was just lounging until her shift ended.
Our room was nice, besides a few things. Our window is made to open and it would not very easily, we had to force it open because the window is too large for the frame it is in. Because of this, the window is warped and since it is very windy outside- all you hear is the wind coming in the room.
The couch had a large rip I'm the seam (we switched the cushions so the rip would be down so we didn't make it worse).
Other than that, nice amenities in the room- microwave, stove top, full fridge and freezer, adequate cabinet space, dishwasher, sink. And necessary cooking utensils.

Overall I'm happy with the stay other then the noisy windy window and that one somewhat unprofessional staff member

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Milton Keynes, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Candlewood Suites (in general) - great if you want to make your own breakfast - they don't offer facilities but you always get a kitchenette with fridge, microwave and hob.
As a Brit working occasionally in the US it means I can have simple cereal and coffee for breakfast at bizarre hours of the morning (jetlag) which works really well for me.

The rooms are cleaned out once a week so I stayed for 7 nights and never had room service - you make your own bed. This works for me as it feels more like coming back to my own place (mess) rather than a hotel room - might not work for others.

Clarksville, Indiana
This one has a pool - but it's small, good for spending time with kids but not worth me getting wet (I had taken swimming gear just in case).

The rooms are very similar in layout to the one in Plano, Texas I use so I'm guessing it's a standard model. They are quite dark (dark wood) but perfectly functional and at a great price point compared with Sheraton / Hilton etc.

I'd probably not use one for a vacation but find them great for business use.
Free wifi works well.

The location of this one is interesting - next to the interstate (3 minutes drive) on a block of land not developed further yet. Shops within 2 minutes drive (quite a few - see Veteran's Drive on google maps). Nearest store for groceries is Target (one set of lights) equally Walmart on Veterans drive is close by.

Recommendations for eateries - just over five minutes drive is a new Mark's Feedstore (saves crossing the bridge to Bardstown Road) great ribs etc.

Room Tip: All rooms similar - quieter at the back and on higher floors.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed here one night when we were in town to watch the night races at Churchhill. The hotel is very clean, modern and I would assume built within the last two years. The bed was super comfy and the pillows were really nice. As a side, note that most Candlewood Suites only have Queen size beds, if you are traveling with a partner you may want to consider that fact.

The hotel is really close to Louisville. I think it took us maybe 15 minutes to get to the track. It was pretty much a straight shot, and b/c we stayed on the north side of the river our room was at least fifty dollars cheaper. There are a bunch of chain restaurants next to the hotel (O'Charley's, Logan's, Outback, Bob Evans), which worked well for us. This hotel doesn't serve breakfast so it was nice to be close to morning options.

The best thing about this hotel though was the staff. We left really early in the morning and I stupidly forgot all of my jewelry on top of the dresser. Needless to say my partner was less than thrilled two hours later when I realized I had left thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of birthday/anniversary/Christmas presents at our hotel. In a panic I called the hotel, and WOW. Staff responded so incredibly. While I was on the phone with the clerk she ran up to our room, with me on the phone, and located the jewelry.

We promptly high tailed it back to the hotel, two hours later we arrived. The clerk had wrapped up the jewelry to make sure none of the chains got tangled and the earrings didn't get misplaced. She knew who I was the moment I walked into the hotel (I must have looked panicked). She was super nice and so wonderful I contemplated giving her a hug.

This was a great hotel, made more amazing by staff's willingness to help me in locating some very valuable and sentimental jewelry. While I generally try to believe in the inherent goodness and honesty of others my partner is less inclined--he too exclaimed how pleased he was to know the jewelry was still where I had mistakenly left it.

Awesome stay, awesome staff and I left (the second time) eternally grateful!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Candlewood Suites Louisville North? Share your experiences!