“Neat and clean with fridge and microwave” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Chesterton
“Neat and clean with fridge and microwave”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Quick review: this is a good stay if you want a spacious, basic, neat & clean room with some in-room amenities. Pool and sauna. Friendly, profsesional staff.

I stayed here one night for a meeting. Room #206 has a king size bed that was comfortable and a sitting area. There are many items that one expects at this type of hotel (coffee maker, iron/board, good word desk, etc.) and some that are really value-added if you were staying a while (fridge, microwave.) I would have liked an in-room safe, thought. The furnishings were comfy and rather basic, but should be replaced sooner rather than later -- getting a little old.

Clean, comfortable bathroom with some toiletries. The towels are okay, but you know that this isn't a 4-star hotel.

Free wifi worked well (thank you! I get irritated when hotels charge for this service that seems rather basic.

Friendly, professional service throughout.

The free breakfast was edible, but it's good that it is free. I rarely think much of the free breakfasts often served at hotels at this price point -- mediocre pastries, scrambled eggs in the form of round yellow slices, etc. Okay coffee. Juice from a dispenser.

There is an indoor pool and hottub (I didn't use either.) It looks good for a dip, but the area around it has a few chairs and not much else. This is not the kind of pool where you linger a while, but I'm sure kids would love to jump in afer a day on the road.

So: it's a good stay for price/value.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Neil p, Manager at BEST WESTERN Indian Oak, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on our hotel. All of our rooms do come equipped with a microwave and a refrigerator, which is very convenient. Also, they are very spacious and your room was on the lakeside, which does include the pullout sofa and coffee table. I am glad that you were happy that we have free WIFI throughout, which helps out in so many ways for our travelers. I am sorry that you were unsatisfied with our breakfast choices. The pool area is rather large and the guests do tend to love the area. It is nice for individuals to sit in the pool area or on the outside of the pool area, especially if they do have children. I thank you very much for your review and encourage

164 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Beloit, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I decided to go back to the BW and I was once again very impressed. I enjoyed a wonderful swim in their very nice pool lots of room to do laps. The staff actually remembered me. I had a nice walk on the lake. The bed was just the right comfort and the room was nice and quiet. I decided to do some site seeing and the staff was helpful in telling me were some of the best places were. I will continue coming here. I have stayed in a number of Hotels on vacations and this one is right at the top of my list. So if you want to just get away or need a place to stay while on business check them out you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the pond.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Neil p, Manager at BEST WESTERN Indian Oak, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you so graciously for such a wonderful review. We greatly appreciate that we have made each stay at our hotel enjoyable. The lake is such a wonderful hidden feature that our hotel has to offer. The 50-foot pool does have plenty of room and is large enough for any type of swimming activity that one may enjoy. I am pleased that the front desk staff was able to assist you with any question or concern you had throughout your stay. I am grateful that we are ranked in the top of your hotel list and we do enjoy making our guests happy. My staff and I look forward to providing many more memorable stays for you and we look forward to seeing you soon.
Crown Point, Indiana, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I am a former hotel General Manager. I have managed dated properties in the past and understand the struggles this hotel may have. I do not however find excuses for lack of cleanliness and staff. The guestroom had a bathroom that was patched up terribly and looked like it was going to fall apart any second. The linen was thin and fraying. The shower curtaiin was pink as if someone had washed it with a red sock. There was pubic hair on the wall of the bathroom. Our toilet backed up the second day and the front desk attendant, who was also working breakfast, offered to plung it. This being said in the breakfast area amongst other guests. The poor girl worked all day and night with NO ASSISTANCE!! I do not understand how the owner of this property could justify having ONE person on staff to deal with all the demands of the day. There were plenty of heads in beds to cover the cost of a few hours of breakfast coverage or maybe a maintenance technician. Not happy at all with breakfast options. Coffee was terrible with one creamer option. Milk was in a pitcher that the whole world used to poor into their ceral, not to mention there was no label. It is hard to image one person being responsible for maintaining breakfast as well as guest needs at the desk.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Neil p, Manager at BEST WESTERN Indian Oak, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for the review. We value every guest and the feedback about your stay is always encouraged. I am personally sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel. During the steadier months we do have a breakfast area attendant throughout the breakfast times of 6am- 9am each day. In the less steady months, the front desk helps out in that area. If you were unhappy with your room after checking in, we could have corrected it then. We could have offered you a different room or even offered to clean the room ourselves. The acknowledgment of the staff member in the breakfast area was greatly appreciated. As far as working all day and night with out assistance is, quite untrue. My front desk staff works 8 hour shifts and the day shift is relieved at 3pm each day, as was done throughout your stay as well. I am very sorry that you were unpleased with your stay at our hotel. Perhaps you would like to come back in the warmer months and enjoy a lakeside room. The rooms are more spacious and the view of the lake is gorgeous, especially with the swans and geese. Again, I do apologize for your unhappiness and if you would like to contact me directly, neilp@indianoak.com I would be more than happy to discuss this further.
Pine Island, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed at this hotel several times in the best 6 months! Pleasant staff, rooms clean, very pleasant place to stay for the price! Great location with plenty of places to eat close by. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Book the lake side vs parking lot!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Neil p, Manager at BEST WESTERN Indian Oak, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us such great feedback. I appreciate that you have come back many times and that you are very satisfied with our hotel. Thank you as well for acknowledging my staff, as they do try very hard to make each stay a memorable one. The lakeside rooms are quite cozy and the view of the lake gives it that extra special touch. We are definitely in a great location and there are many restaurants to choose from. We are also very close to the Indiana Dunes and the Lighthouse Mall in Michigan City for warmer months. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your next visit with us.
Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We liked the room and the staff was nice. The problem I had with this room was noise from train traffic. The room looked over an inlet on the Lake and it was a nice view. But the train was on the other side of the inlet.

Room Tip: Get a room not facing the lake as the train tracks were across the narrow inlet and it made for some...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Neil p, Manager at BEST WESTERN Indian Oak, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
I truly value your feedback and I thank you for taking the time to do so. I do apologize that the trains were a bother during your stay. We are located in close proximity to two train tracks. Unfortunately the town of Chesterton does hear the echo from these trains all throughout the day and night. We are located close to the steel mill and the south shore train station, so the train traffic does tend to be a more active at certain times, than others. On a pleasant note, I am glad that you enjoyed other aspects of the hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed our staff and our lakeview room. The view is beautiful to look at all through out the year. I thank you very much for your review and I wish you a happy new year.
Rochelle, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

At check in the front desk staff was very friendly, and let me know where there was nice places to eat at. The hotel and my room was very clean. i have stay at different hotel for work and by far this was the best stay i have had in a while. I was impressed that my room got serviced every day. Special thanks to Neil,Crystal,and Patrick.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Neil p, Manager at BEST WESTERN Indian Oak, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. Having a great staff from start to finish just makes the stay so much more enjoyable. I am very glad that you took advantage of having your room serviced everyday of your stay. Having a clean and comfortable room when you check in and all throughout your stay helps add to a great experience. I am thankful for your feedback and am extremely happy that you found our hotel to be one of the best you have stayed at. We are located in a nice location, with many restaurants to choose from. I am glad that my staff was able to give you some feedback about nearby restaurants. I hope you come back to see us soon. Thank you again for giving us your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Been to BEST WESTERN Indian Oak? Share your experiences!