“BEST CHINESE FOOD IN NW INDIANA” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Description: Tao Chens is listed in your competitors' websites
Description: Tao Chens is listed in your competitors' websites
Portage, Indiana
“BEST CHINESE FOOD IN NW INDIANA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

My wife and I prefer Tao Chen's to any other Chinese restaurant in the area. We eat here at least 2-3 times a month. Fabulous soups and egg rolls can be found here. I really enjoy the Chicken in Garlic Sauce or the Twice Cooked Pork. The servers are friendly and attentive. The kitchen is flexible on which vegetables you would like in your entree. Prices are reasonable too. We drive 25 miles round trip for this food when we have a Chinese restaurant in our own town just two blocks from our house!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Joliet, Illinois
“worth the trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

My aunt and I used to eat at his restaurant in Michigan City and don't have the opportunity to eat here as often as we would like. The hot and sour soup is my aunt's favorite. She also loves the pork and garlic sauce. I was amazed with the richness of the egg drop soup and finished every bit. Most other places I have to add soy sauce to get some flavor but not here. My chow fun with shrimp was delicious. The shrimp were plump, plentiful and perfectly cooked. And the gravy was nicely balanced. I would definitely order this again. Have never had anything here that I didn't enjoy. We both agreed we need to make the trip here to eat more often. We found the portions quite ample and both of us needed "doggy boxes" for later.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Best in the area!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I eat here weekly! Personal favorites are the chicken fried rice and general tsao's chicken! Consistently great!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portage, Indiana
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I have to tell you, I love Chinese food. I have eaten it all over the place and for me to tell you I am disappointed in this cuisine is very difficult. The portions are small and the entrees seemed to be lacking any intense flavor. The fried rice had really nothing in it; I make better fried rice at home and I am not Asian at all. I didn't pay for the meal; it was a treat from our uncle however, I don't believe I will return any time soon. There is better Chinese across the parking lot at another place. Tao Chen's was truly a disappointment after I heard so much to the contrary.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Roy
“Good Eating!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Food tasted great! But the servings are small. I think customers would appreciate if the owner increased the portion a little more. In addition to cost and quality of the food, I believe having a good portion is one of the components that keep customers coming back. Also the amount of white rice they serve you is skimpy - maybe consider not charging for additional refill of rice, it's not that expensive.

Visited April 2013