“Nice hotel, disappointing service” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Carmel
Indiana
“Nice hotel, disappointing service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2007

The hotel is a little difficult to locate, in that the address listed on the web is on Meridian Street but entry is on Pennsylvania Street. It's hard to see due to local restrictions on signage. If we hadn't really read the directions given on the hotel's website, we would have never found it in the dark and I'm even familar with the area.

Nice suite but very cramped. The two double beds stuffed into the bedroom area are just that -- stuffed into and not particularly comfortable. When the sofa bed is made out, it is difficult to pass through the other room and absolutely no place to sit except on the made out bed. Add luggage and it's very inconvenient. It is nice, though, to have a refrigerator and microwave, but a small sink in this area would have been beneficial.

Our biggest problem was with housekeeping. We had no housekeeping until at least 3pm and prior to this, were in need of dry towels that we had to repeatedly request. After we finally did get housekeeping, rather than giving us clean drinking glasses, our glasses were merely turned over. (Yes, you can tell, plus they were also the glasses we'd brought to our room from the hotel bar.) The worst part was that, upon returning to our room after being gone several hours -- the door was NOT LOCKED. When the front desk was informed, they were unconcerned and said to let them know if anything was missing. Fortunately, there was not. The overall attitude of the front desk was just unconcerned. Not unpleasant, just not friendly or helpful.

Overall, this hotel could do better without much effort ... but it seems that "not much effort" is already the name of the game.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Sandpoint, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2006

We visit Carmel a couple of times a year, and after staying at the Doubletree and the Residence Inn, the Doubtree WINS HANDS DOWN.

The rooms are large, and comfortable. They are clean, and have good beds. The maid service was my only complaint, as we would call when we left our room about 9am and still at 3pm it would not be clean.

This is a nice place, quiet, well insulated, and has a pleasant staff.

Although breakfast is not included, it sure beat the Residence Inn and their pathetic offering.

Pay for breakfast, enjoy the peace and quiet, and relax.

• Liked — Quite and Comfortable
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2006

I am really surprised by some of the reviews here. I arrived for a business meeting and couldn't have been happier. I had a newly remodeled room, the bed was fantastic, the room was a suite with coffemaker etc, the bathroom was pristine, no problems putting my makeup on in the morning, the only thing I could find wrong with the place were the bathroom amenities. I thought this place was too nice to carry drugstore quality White Rain. I had a breakfast meeting so didn't stay for the food. My room was $99, I thought it was a great deal. I knew going in, that it was in a business district, so I wan't looking for things to do around the hotel.

• Liked — A suite for the price
  • Disliked — bathroom amenitites
  • Tips/Secrets — This is a business hotel, I wouldn't pick it for a weekend getaway.
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

My confirmed, prepaid reservation was for two (2) double premium patio suites. Each room was to have two (2) double beds as well as a pull-out couch.

When we arrived, our rooms had one (1) king-size bed and no patio. Front desk personnel offered to give us one room as confirmed, but could not come up with two. We were given a free breakfast buffet to compensate for the inconvenience.

A requested partial refund was denied.

A letter to hotel management was not answered; nor was a message posted to the corporate web site.

That was a major disappointment, and as a result, I will not use Doubletree again.

Minor inconveniences surfaced in that there were no sheets in one of the rooms for the pull-out couch. When rooms were refreshed on Saturday, one had no face cloths and the other had an insufficient number.

Overall, not a good experience.

Stayed June 2006
Carmel, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2006

My daughter and I along with my two grand children stayed at this hotel during spring break and there were few people there. It was appealing when we first walked in..nice cozy furniture, beds have nice linens and lots of pillows, it was all very clean.

The down side is the bathrooms are so tiny, you barely can fit in to sit on the toilet. The bath tub was slow draining so that you are standing in water up over your ankles by the time you are done..

The beds are why I am writing this review..for $150 you would expect to get a good nights sleep but the mattresses are so hard and not so quality, with a pad for comfort.. if you don't have back problems when you check in you will when you check out..So much for a beautiful bed that doesn't do what it's supposed to do...create comfort.

Also the entry doors provide no quiet privacy..We could hear people next door all night and was sure they could hear us as well....and that is not good..

All in all service was great, The area is excellent and there was no one around the pool...

We would try again just to see if the beds in another room were better..but not at that price..

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
South Bend Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2006

Stayed on a weekday recently, prior to a medical appointment in downtown indy. The hotel was recovering from having a pipe burst. It is always a bit disturbing to pull up and see several fire/water restoration trucks sitting outside. Had no trouble checking in. Nice cookies. We got a second floor suite that was well appointed. I used the pool with my boys (6 and 4) and they enjoyed it. The hot tub was nice also. The lobby was a bit smokey for my taste due to the bar/restaurant being wide open to the lobby. All in all a good stay. One warning, there are few places to eat within sight. You have to drive 3 to 5 minutes North to get meals if you don't want their restaurant. The hotel is in the midst of various office buildings.

• Stayed February 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2006

My family of four (husband, me, 2 kids age 9 and 12) planned a getaway weekend in February at the Doubletree Suites in Carmel, based partially on the reviews on this site. While the hotel itself was okay, I was disappointed in the information I received from them when making the reservation.

I called a month ahead to make reservations and asked if they had connecting rooms. We like to have connecting rooms so each kid can have his/her own bed, and so we can have family time but my husband and I can also have some privacy at times. I was told they weren't guaranteed, but I could call the day before and I would likely get them. I made the reservation for two rooms. I called the manager the day before arrival to reiterate our desire for connecting rooms. She was not available, but I left a voice mail asking her to return my call. She did not bother to return my call. I called the hotel again the day we were to check in and was told the reason they don't guarantee connecting rooms is because they essentially don't exist at this hotel. She offered us two rooms side by side, but I don't feel that's safe for children as young as ours. They need to be able to easily get to us at night if there are any problems.

We called all over trying to find a hotel with availability and connecting rooms, but there was nothing available. So we squeezed into one tiny suite and--alas--there was no romance for my husband and I.

The hotel itself was okay. Indoor pool was okay. Room was very clean and linens were above average. It would have been fine if that had been what we were expecting, but it wasn't. I feel Doubletree essentially lied to me because if I had known there were no connecting rooms I would have booked elsewhere.

Also, the restaurant is a minor step above tables in the lobby (it's blocked off from the main lobby by pieces of furniture.) It was very overpriced. I don't mind paying $18-25 for an entree if it's at a nice restaurant, but for what it was, this was outrageous. Perhaps they get enough expense account travelers in here during the week that are willing to pay this, but on the weekend there were very few diners.

If it is just two or three of you and you are comfortable in a small suite, you could do a lot worse than this hotel. It's just that they didn't have what we wanted, but told us they did, leading to disappointment for all of us.

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Indianapolis-Carmel? Share your experiences!