“Good Hotel BUT WARNING” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Carmel
Williamsburg
“Good Hotel BUT WARNING”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is our first time staying at this Double Tree property, as a Gold member of Hilton, this is a Good Hotel But, with Warning flags for guests. When I checked in they assigned us with a room that I wanted but, when going into the room it was occupied, walked back to the front desk, who were surprised and they assigned another room, of lesser quality, they were full and their error but room that was less than desirable. It turned out OK BUt, did not like being next to the parking lot. Then comes the cheap side of the hotel, the rools of toilet paper, only a few sheets, went to housekeeping, that is all they had and on their carts walked down to the front desk and they gave me a whole unopened roll.

Besides the above issues the staff, except for housekeeping was very good, they had their hands full with a full hotel, due to soccer and other events. Staff was helpful and pleasant but, housekeeping and MGMT 's control over rooms is questionable

Room Tip: Good Location, But issues with housekeeping and rooms being assigned when occupied
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
James S, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Indianapolis-Carmel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our property during your stay in our area. I am very sorry for the problems you encountered. We have fixed the front desk issues and I have addressed the other matter with our housekeepers. I hope that you give us another opportunity for a better experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Medford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

The Hilton Doubletree's no cancellation policy is criminal. To adjust a reservation they will cancel your reservation and charge you for a more expensive rate and add a $50.00 charge on top of that. Never heard of such a rip off in all my years of traveling. If you need to change a reservation for whatever emergency--FORGET IT!!! They have the worst customer service from their third party reservation line you can imagine. They are totally unwilling to help with any problem. I wouldn't stay in a Double Tree Hotel if you paid me.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. I’m very sorry the cancellation policy didn’t meet your needs. As I read the recitation of details, the only conclusion I can reach is that there appears to be some sort of misunderstanding. Not being able to contact a guest makes it difficult to render assistance or further explain an issue, but I would certainly be willing to do so, if contacted. At our hotel, we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience. I hope the next time you’re in our area you will consider staying with us.
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was the perfect hotel for my husband and myself to stay at while we were in Indianapolis this weekend for a friend's wedding. We booked this hotel through Priceline and were pleasantly surprised with the accomodations. The room was actually a suite with a pullout couch, tv, desk, microwave, and fridge in one room and the bedroom in another. The room felt clean. The bed was actually extremely comfortable (and clean) and I slept like a rock. The bathroom was also very clean and the shower got really hot which was nice after a long drive.

I'm not sure if I would go to this hotel for a romantic weekend getaway, but I would definitely stay here again if we're in town for a wedding or other event. It was great quality, especially for the price and location (close to interstate).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Chicagoland, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Granted, this property has received some rough reviews in the past and I was a bit apprehensive on the front end. Not wanting to waste money or be frustrated by my stay, I reached out the general manager before booking. He was helpful and courteous and pre-assigned us to a room that was said to be on the 'newer' end of things.

Here's how I'd break down the stay:
Service -- excellent. From check-in to the restaurant, everyone was more the courteous. I was pleasantly surprised by the nature of the staff. They were a joy.

Rooms -- decent. Definitely do need some updating. Wear and tear is obvious from walls to furniture (torn and tattered chairs, molting caulking, wobbly fixtures). I've stayed in a lot worse places, it's not HORRIBLE, but a thorough rehab would do this property some good. The biggest issue with our room was the odor. Not fresh at all; resembled a gym bag (not exaggerating). I could overlook the wear and tear, but the odor was a bit much.

Housekeeping -- when we checked in, everything (but the odor previously mentioned) was great. Well-cleaned, made-up, etc. Biggest issue here was the fact that our room wasn't cleaned in a timely fashion. We left our room for the day around 8:30am. Came back around 2:30 for a brief rest and the room hadn't been cleaned yet. We left again around 4 and upon our arrival late at night the room had not been cleaned. I realize everything works on a schedule, but I was surprised that a room for a staying guest would not be cleaned before 2pm and, further, that though we apparently missed the "window" for cleaning (2-4??) we received no note or offer for cleaning at our convenience.

Food -- Breakfast buffet was quite good. Plenty of options, healthy and non. Here again, service was great. Better than expected.

Others:
In-room Internet is $10 a day; fortunately ours was free with HHonors Gold. It's a strong stable signal, though it came in a bit weak as we were streaming a show from NBC.
Free parking is good.
Be prepared that GPS might take you to the front of the building, which is inaccessible from that road. You need to drive around back to get in. (Not the hotel's fault. Just prepare yourself.)
Our room (as with many) faced a courtyard which has the pool in it. If people are having a good time down there, you may pick up some excess noise.

All in all, it was a fair stay. Admittedly, I had low expectations given the previous reviews, and was pleasantly surprised in turn. Would I stay here again? Not sure. Do I think some cash investment could make this unique building a really great property. For sure.

The biggest advantage this hotel has is that it seems to know its weaknesses and prices accordingly. You would pay far more at most Doubletrees, but you would also expect more. You would pay about the same at a Hampton Inn, but could expect about what you'd get here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at our Hotel and for commenting on your visit. I appreciate your candid review of our property and the glowing remarks about our friendly and professional staff. New perspectives about our hotel and our guestroom appearance help us make improvements to our guests’ experience. I’ve addressed the housekeeping issues with our staff. Aside from refreshing our guest rooms, we will keep in mind your comments for future improvements. Please feel free to share additional comments or suggestions at any time. We hope to see you again soon.
Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Room was clean and spacious, but disappointed that there was no fan in the bathroom. Very foggy/steamy after the showers! Good location, close to a lot of businesses/attractions in the area. A little disappointed about the size/depth of the pool, but workout room was nice.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Rantoul, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I travel alot and the trip of which i stayed here was the worst by far. I reserved and paid for my room via doubletree website 6 weeks in advance. upon checking in i went to my room which was supposed to be a king suite with a balcony, and it was just a king suite. of course i called to the desk and she tried to offer me a balcony room with 2 full beds. what a joke. i guess reservations mean nothing to these people. ruined our anniversary get away which was supposed to include wine on the balcony. also they give just one packet for coffee. also when i checked in they said they needed a card on file for any possible charges, even though i told her there would be none. and guess what they charged my card as soon as she swiped it. i callled them and they said there were no additional charges to my room and the money would be refunded. they practically commited fraud by charging my card without any authorization. a week has passed and no credit back on my account yet. i a sooo furious at this point. i have called and left messages on a mangers, lindsay, voicemail because for some reason she can never answer any calls. probably because of the overwhelming complaints. also the furniture in the room was very very stiff. bed was comfortable and shower was nice and hot but thats it. everywhere in the room they are trying to get you to charge more things, from the $4.50 bottles of water to the tv that tries to sell a different movie after every button you hit. I WILL NEVER STAY AT THIS PLACE AGAIN.

Room Tip: choose a different place
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
James S, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Indianapolis-Carmel, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for your review of your stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, especially concerning areas in which we can improve. We are sorry that we weren't able to supply your reserved room type. Our front desk staff goes through a detailed process every day to ensure that our guests receive exactly the room they expect. However, there are times when circumstances can prevent that from occurring. I am also sorry for any miscommunication regarding the manner in which credit cards are handled for potential incidental charges to your folio. If you feel there are improper charges on your credit card, I encourage you to contact me directly so we can address this issue. Once again, we’re sorry for the inconvenience and I appreciate you bringing these matters to my attention.
College Station, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stay in the Carmel area frequently for business. If you want a brand new shiny hotel, this isn't it. If you don't want to pay the prices charged at all the new hotels in the area, this hotel generally fits the bill. My rooms this year have been generally clean and everything worked. The seating area in the suites/rooms is not large but is functional. The decor in the rooms isn't fancy and is starting to get dated in some of the rooms. The staff has generally been helpful when I have had a question and resolved any issues I've had quickly. They do not have a business center/computer to print boarding passes which is a little strange in this day and age. You have to have the staff at the front desk print your boarding pass off their computer/printers. There is onsite food and the breakfast offerings have been pretty good when I was there. You generally have to drive 5-15 minutes away to get food but there is about anything you could think of within that distance.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Indianapolis-Carmel? Share your experiences!