“A Little Slice of Jersey in Indiana” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #48 of 207 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: American
“A Little Slice of Jersey in Indiana”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

If you are from Jersey, NYC, or Philly and find yourself in Carmel Indiana stop by as it will make you feel like home. All others should come for the great sandwiches, which put the local Indiana Deli Shapiro's to shame. I will concede that I can't fathom why it takes so long to make the sandwiches. While they warn you about the wait, I must say,hire some more staff. If you don't want to become totally frustrated, come at off hours or order for pick up with plenty of advanced time built in. Hence the low rating for service. The servers are pleasant enough and have always been great to the kids. Sign the wall if you are from back east, it is great to see all the hometowns represented.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Home, Indiana USA
“Great food - if you're not starved by the wait!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

First, let me say that my sandwich was amazing! The food at this place is excellent, and if I could rate it based solely on the food it would receive a five. HOWEVER; a restaurant's rating is based on the entire experience, and ours was abysmal. We (hubby and I) walked through the door at 1:00 p.m. - just past the lunch rush (we thought). Even though there were a couple of empty tables, we waited in a line with no "We'll be right with you" for 15 minutes. Finally we were seated, and waiting another 10 to 12 minutes before anyone came over to at least take a drink order. At about 1:28 (we've already been there almost half an hour, right?) our order was taken. Hubby ordered one of their signature sandwiches, and I had basically a club sandwich on cheesy bread. At 2:10 - I repeat, 2:10! - our server finally came over to say that he would go check on how our order was progressing. It took 45 MINUTES from the time we ordered to finally get our sandwiches!!! As I said at the beginning, they tasted great, but we were there an hour and a half - that's just TOO FREAKIN' LONG for a couple of sandwiches and a glass of iced tea. No offense to Guy Fieri, but I think he needs to give some of these places he visits some pointers on good customer service.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Carmel, Indiana
“Not a Fan of this Eatery”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We went to Jersey's Cafe a week ago after spending all of Saturday enjoying great weather and outdoor activities. Jerseys had been recommended by our neighbors who are from New Jersey. Plus, I spent four years in New Jersey early in my career. Inside the restaurant space felt tight. Tables are close together. The floor around our table was dirty, which is a big turn off for me. I have seen reviews which say the staff is not friendly. On the contrary, we found the staff to be friendly. The reports of slow service are correct. Very slow service. The menu is large. The majority of the items looked like heart attacks on a plate. I mentioned to my wife that I don't remember New Jersey food being so unhealthy. The food was generally good, but not great. I only ate salad the next day to counterbalance my Jerseys Cafe meal.
This restaurant got a lot of attention after it appeared on Diners Drive-ins and Dives. Unfortunately it does not live up to the hype. I won't go out of my way to go back.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Il
“Great Food, but abysmally slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I watched the Jersey Diner review on Diners, Dives and Drive-Ins We went last night (8/15/2012). The diner was clean and had great decorations. The diner was not busy and apparently was staffed with a full complement.

The sandwiches were great and lived up to the recommendations! We paid our bill and were told by the waitress to purchase cookies and candies on our way out (we couldn't order from the table). My husband waited at the counter for 1/2 an hour but no one came to the counter to help him. We finally left without buying cookies.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Carmel, Indiana
“A touch of home close by”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

Went to jersey's with my kids for dinner. Having grew up in jersey, had to try this place out. I ordered the Taylor pork roll sandwich, and was not disappointed. It was good, it was huge, I'd felt like I ate a whole pig. For appetizer I had ordered the chili cheese fries, which were equally as good. My kids ordered the Mac and cheese, and portions were so large, we came home with a lot of food. Price for the three was $41, not bad for three.