“Fresh Alternative” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Carmel, Indiana
“Fresh Alternative”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This location of Piada Italian Street Food opened about 2 weeks ago. The concept is similar to the popular Mexican grill shops, but with an Italian twist. You can choose a piada (light tortilla-like wrap that's grilled for some crisp), angel hair pasta, or a salad bowl as your base. You then choose a protein (I chose Italian sausage, my fellow diner wanted calamari), and add as much as you like of cheeses, veggies, sauces, even crispy pancetta bits. We enjoyed our piadas very much, though extra napkins and forks were needed as the wraps lost containment. In terms of value, the prices are similar to the Mexican grills. The protein portions appeared smaller (might be completely appropriate by weight), but it's easy to load up with toppings. We did not leave wishing we'd had more to eat.

The shop has a clean (stark?), modern look which I liked very much. The food prep area is bright and dominated in white, while the dining area has dimmer lighting and dark wood furniture. I liked the background music too, though I'm much too old to know how to categorize it. There were 2-3 tables outside overlooking the parking lot if you think that's fun. Anyway, I think Piada is a nice alternative to everyday drive-thru food.

• Visited September 2013