“Not terrible...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Bloomington
Chicago, Illinois
“Not terrible...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

But not amazing either. I'm an IU grad and went to visit friends this weekend, stayed at the travelodge because it was a lot cheaper than our other options. Also knew we wouldn't be in the room much.

Creepy room decor, I guess the travelodge mascot is a sleepy bear? He was covering every inch of the room. Mold on shower wallpaper. Windows didn't open so the room was very stuffy. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Highland Park, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

The Travelodge is simply filthy & rundown. I guess there is a reason you can find a room here when everything else in Bloomington is sold out. As inconvenient as it sounds for IU parents, drive to Martinsville or Bedford for a room. The average rating would be lower if you could offer a 0 in any category. Just because a place is cheap (& its not on IU game or parent weekends) it is not a value.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Stayed here on the last night of a two week road-trip; all other stays had been at Best West. properties but chose this T/L for price for a short overnight. Best Wests' are luxurious by comparison.

Bloomington T/L accomodations are basic and well-worn and in need of a good freshening-up. Comp breakfast is minimal; cold cereal, juice, coffee, and sweet rolls.

Pet-Peeve: Sheets don't fit the bed and don't stay tucked-in. Once you roll over during the night you find yourself all tangled up in the sheets.

When leaving town passed a Motel 6 on N.Walnut that looked much more appealing.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Battle Ground, In
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

Like the reviewer below, we don't have a clue what the negative comments from '10 are about. We have been staying in this motel several times a year for at least 5 years and find it to be a great value. Clean rooms and property, friendly staff (must be a good place to work - the same counter guys have been there ever since we started staying) and great location. Like other college towns, rooms in B'ton can be grossly overpriced but remarkably this place, with the best location in town (less than 5 minutes to campus and in the middle of a shopping area) is about the cheapest. Get an upstairs room with a balcony (ok - the view is of the Red Lobster parking lot - I didn't say the place was perfect). No frills - no mini fridge, no microwave, no pool, rather old tv's and limited satellite channel selections, but the wifi works fine. If you have a little time and you're a fan of microbrewery beer, check out the selection at the Sahara Mart next door. Nothing cold, but a truly impressive selection. And yes, there is plenty of ice in the machine at the Travelodge for your cooler.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Marina, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

The title sums up this motel's main draws. I got this on a Priceline vacation package. It was either this, Days Inn, or pay something like $80 more for my four nights. This appeared to be in a better location than the Days Inn, so I chose it. Kind of glad that I did, because there was a lot of construction on the bypass, in front of the Days Inn, so that would have likely been very annoying.
But I wasn't expecting a lot here. I mean, anyone who's stayed in a Travelodge, experiencing all the glory of a "Bear Bites Breakfast" and a stay where at least something has to go wrong, knows that this is not a top-end hotel. I was happy that my little cinder-blocked paradise (relatively large room) was bed bug free and seemed to be clean. I think what throws some people off is the exterior of this place, which will likely be nostalgic for some, especially the hallways that stink of cigarettes. Actually, it reminded me of an apartment complex in Boulder where a friend lived for a while, as it was an old motel that had been converted. I could see that happening to this one, actually, because it's pretty much the last business (period) before you reach the IU campus, a long stretch of residential.
Staff seemed nice enough, never being too friendly but also being cordial. One was even nice enough to send off a fax for me at no charge. The breakfast was garbage, as anticipated, and the funny thing was that, because I like my bagel actually toasted instead of heated, it set the smoke detector off. The clerk said that this was a common occurrence, and that it would stop soon. But it went on for a full two minutes, and, needless to say, I was not there the following morning to take advantage of my complimentary Bear Bites Breakfast.
The requisite of any Travelodge stay is that something has to go wrong. In this case, it was the wifi, which just suddenly stopped working one night, and was out for over 24 hours. I tried several access points, but all of them refused to give me an IP. I asked and was told that it was having issues, and that there was no estimated time of restoration, so I had to finish the night at a coffee shop in order to complete my business for the day. Annoying, yes. But it could have been worse.
And, yeah, it's not THAT bad. I mean, I've certainly stayed in worse motels, even worse Travelodges, and at least it was in a good location in a safe neighborhood. So if you're coming here on a tight budget and need something close, clean and cheap, this would be a good option. Otherwise, there are other places in Bloomington that will suit you much better.

Room Tip: Low wifi signal, close to access point
Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Cross Plains, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

We were staying in Bloomington for just one night on our way home from a vacation. After reading some of the reviews I called to discuss them with the manager (owner?) before making a reservation. He said since he had taken over operation of the property he had put a lot of money into the motel and he thought I would be satisfied. We were, indeed, satisfied! For the price and for our needs the Travelodge was great. The manager went out of his way to be friendly and make sure we had everything we needed. The location is fantastic near the university, right next to Red Lobster and within walking distance of Coldstone Creamery! The free high speed Internet is a real plus...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

I had to stay here for 4 nights because of winter storm. I checked in on Monday and explained my weird hours that I worked(sleep during the day and working in middle of night). Got a kingsize bed in a non-smoking room $45/night. Decor was old but room & bathroom were clean & bug free. Wifi, limited cable on TV. Location was close to restaurants & drugstore. They served continental breakfast and staff was helpful & friendly. Only complaints I have was the phone calls waking me up on days 2 & 3 to come clean my room, I woke up to let them in on day 3. And on day 4 I was awaken by an 11am phone call telling me I had to check out by 11:30am, I said I will pay the $25 fee for late check out and was informed I could no longer stay because all rooms were booked & they needed to clean mine now. Yes I was kicked out w/little sleep but I did just show up 4 days prior w/no reservations.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Bloomington Travelodge? Share your experiences!