“Nice place but no hospital discount” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
Fulton, Kentucky
“Nice place but no hospital discount”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

The room was clean and the bed comfy. The college makes it noisier with people coming and going in the night. We had family in the hospital and they don't have any hospital rate. The breakfast was a bit on the skimpy side unless you paid for your breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Bloomington, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Trish,

Thank you for staying with us for your trip to Bloomington. We understand it must have been a difficult time. I am glad you found the bed comfy and room clean! While we were offering a continental breakfast for a few days during our restaurant training, I can now say our Courtyard Bistro is open for breakfast and dinner! I hope you come back and try the great food!

Warm regards,

Barry Volkers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I have stayed at this Courtyard several times when I have driven my son back to Indiana University or picked him up and they never fail to impress me! Everytime I walk in the door I am greated by a friendly person who is ready and happy to check me in. The rooms are alway clean and the beds are very comfortable. I enjoy the breakfast buffet the next morning that is just delicious and the servers are always friendly and there with more coffee or juice (which I can get my self at the buffet, but they are always more than happy to do it for me. I have stayed her for 3 years now and it's never let me down.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Bloomington, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Ms. Kramer,

Thank you very much for your great response. I am very happy that we have continued to provide a great experience over the years. With our new Bistro and Starbucks. we look forward to offering you that great service for years to come.

See you soon!

Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Visiting IU, and it was really convenient, but... currently undergoing remodel, bare floors & dust. Paper-thin walls, drunks whooping it up in the halls after last call, and stark, featureless rooms leave much to be desired. Take my word for it, it's worth a few bucks to find a nicer place.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Bloomington, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Bob,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Courtyard Marriott Bloomington! We appreciate your insight. I am very sorry for the status of the elevator area, we know this is a very heavily trafficked area and it does not look great as of right now. As you stated, we are currently updating the property and occasionally our progress can affect the stay of our esteemed guest. I hope that you are able to come back when all is finished and see what great work was done. As far as the noise is concerned, we unfortunately can not prevent guests from being discourteous, but we can implement new strategies to increase our response times and ensure a quiet area for all of our guests. Thank you for bringing these items to my attention as we continually strive to offer a better product for our guests.

Regards,

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

My daughter and I stayed here when we came for a college tour of IU. The location is on a main street about a 10 minute walk to Kirkwood Ave. which is the heart of downtown Bloomington where a slew of restaurants are located. You can walk to the campus (which we did) but it will take about 20 minutes to get to the Sample Gate on Campus. From there you'll do a lot of walking on campus if you don't have a car or want to take the campus bus, so be prepared.
The hotel is decent. We found it to be clean - the room we stayed in was very large with two double beds and a separate sink area outside the bathroom. The acoustics in the room were not great. We could hear someone going to the bathroom above us every time they used it and we could hear conversations in an adjacent room.
There is a gym which is a small room with two treadmills, elliptical machine and a bunch of dumb bells. Not much but the equipment was all in very good shape.
The staff were all very helpful and friendly.
Since our daughter will be attending IU starting in the fall, we'll be visiting Bloomington many times and I wouldn't hesitate to stay in this Courtyard by Marriott when we come back.

Stayed April 2014
Gary,

Thank you for your thoughtful response. We appreciated the opportunity to serve you and congratulate your daughter on getting accepted into Indiana University! I am glad the weather allowed for you to walk to campus, enjoy the nice scenery, and come back to a clean room! We are certainly working on any type of noise issues and understand how this can negatively impact a stay. However, I am sure you will love our new Starbucks and Bistro when you return!

Warm regards,

Webster, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Stayed here many times as my son is now in I.U.s doctorate program. Not much had happened other than wear and tear.... but the new lobby renovation shows promise of improvments to the dated rooms, bedding, mechanicals and finishes.

Staff has been great and accommodating: moved us to a new room with a fridge for 84 year old mom's meds....brought us shampoos in the morning as we only had lotions stocked in the room.

I wish they could shut up the loud talkers talking at 3am...or those running in the hallway one floor up at 3:30am.

I'm sure this hotel will surely get back to the 4 or 5 star rating we are used too with the Marriott brand.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Bloomington, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Steve,

I appreciate your understanding of our progress towards a better hotel! We are very close to being all the way complete; I am sure your return trip will be 5 star! As you had stated, we were able to accommodate your request to switch rooms- we were very happy to do so! When you come back in the near future just give us a call and we will have all these items waiting for you. Have a great week.

Evansville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I stayed here for the first time in March. I was attending a meeting at the convention. It was a great choice. The staff were friendly and apologetic for the renovations. It didn't bother me. The room was spacious and clean! Breakfast was also great! I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Ellada,
Thank you! We appreciate your understanding of our current "facelift!" We look forward to hosting you on your return trip!
Andover, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I should caveat this review with the fact that the hotel appeared to be going through renovations when I stayed there in early April 2014.

This was my first time traveling to Bloomington so I can't say for sure how it compares to other hotels, but I'm sure you can do better for your money. Woke up early as I was in town for work. There was no hot water, which apparently was common among other guests, no water running to toilet so it wouldn't flush, and a towel rack was falling off the wall.

I'd look to stay elsewhere if traveling there in the near future.

The location was good and so was the service. Maybe this place will be better once renovations are completed.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Barry V, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Bloomington, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Justin,

Thank you for your response. You are absolutely correct, it is awful to not be able to take a hot shower. There was some work that got done nearby which left our water unable to recirculate properly resulting in the water issue. This has all been corrected and adjusted! If you are coming back to Bloomington in the near future, please reach out to me and I will help you through the reservation process and ensure you a better return trip. Thank you for your understanding!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Bloomington? Share your experiences!