“Your Run of the Mill Courtyard Marriott” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Bloomington
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Your Run of the Mill Courtyard Marriott”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

The best thing about this hotel is the location, right on College Ave in Bloomington, close to everything. The hotel is very nice, quite up to Marriott standards. The lobby is very clean, nice tv and sitting area. The woman at the front desk was as nice and helpful as can be. If you're going to Bloomington for an event at the Convention Center, this is the hotel for you because it is literally connected to it. Our room was very nice, it smelled very perfumy but I don't know if that was the cleaning or the previous occupant. The only downside to my visit was the shower. It took a long time for the water to get hot and the water pressure was lackluster. All-in-all great stay, and I would go again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I often stay in Courtyards and have to say this wasn't my favorite. I stayed here because it is one of the closest hotels to Indiana University, but it is surrounded by depressingly empty lots and the main road can be loud. I asked to be moved to the back side of the hotel, which was quieter and overlooked empty parking lots, not as depressing. It has everything you would expect from a Courtyard. The rooms were huge and clean; however, it smelled as if they had used a fragrant powder on the carpets or spray in the room. The smell was overbearing at first, but because they had moved me once I chose not to complain again. After a while, you get used to it, but I probably killed a few good brain cells during this stay. It was also unnecessarily expensive for the location and condition of the hotel and they did not offer a university rate. The only thing that saved this hotel was the friendly staff. They were very helpful and very nice. A clean, decent hotel, but not one of Courtyard's best.

Room Tip: Avoid the front side of the hotel. There is a lot of traffic on College St and the hotel sits close...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Stayed there just one night. Was assigned a room adjacent to the elevator: turned out the elevator was making loud noises when in operation, and the room was an excellent resonant. The reception desk phone could not be reached from my room, had to go there in person. Asked to be relocated, and eventually was: but had to wait for a long time before a single remaining employee (after 10 pm) finished doing other things (answering outside calls, selling bottled water, etc.). Explained to me that he now had to go and clean the room I was leaving. The price I paid ($150) was a bit too high for this kind of service. The new room was quieter, but one should warned that the street noise is considerable everywhere. The rooms themselves are basic and reasonably clean, but some of the towels look crumpled, as if they already had been used. Free wifi internet worked OK.

Room Tip: far from elevators, top floors
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel on and off for over 10 years. It is sadly in need of an update. While I am a Marriott person, I've been staying at the Hilton Garden Inn up the street. The HGI is newer and nicer. The B-town Courtyard could use makeover like the one Marriott gave their Courtyard in Champaign. I recently stayed at the B-town property just for the points. But next month I'll be back at the HGI an will continue to stay there until Marriott renovates this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I feel like this hotel shouldn't carry the Marriott name. The bad experience started on the first day of my stay -- with the desk staff delaying my check-in THREE times -- well past the normal check-in time. And then, after I repeatedly requested they put me facing downtown and on a top floor, they put me facing the back parking lot on floor 3 (of 5). The desk staff is very uneven, with most of them staring blankly at you when you request something as simple as a receipt. When my toilet repeatedly clogged, no one answered the phone when I called the front desk. After I got an answer, I was told to come get a plunger. There's no staff on duty to fix problems like that? Twice in just a few days, the cable went completely out. And when the cable works, the scant channel selection is the worst I've ever seen in a Marriott (and I spend 80% of my life traveling and staying in Marriott properties). There are few channels, of which >25% are sports-related. The few non-sports channels are pixelated and prone to blacking out and/or freezing frequently (we're talking every 2-3 minutes). I feel like the hotel tries to make up for corner-cutting, lack of knowledge and customer service by extending the offer of free breakfast -- which may be the only bright spot in my otherwise dismal stay. I was excited about staying in a property close to downtown, but now I'm wondering if I should've abandoned the Courtyard for the often-substandard Fairfield on the outskirts of town.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Spent weekend here for D's sorority Dad's weekend. Location is very good . You can walk everywhere , so great for the bar hopping. Room is clean, but most notable is 46in or larger flat screen TV!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

Location is great, connected to the Bloomington convention center and just two blocks off the main town square. Easy walking distance to great restaurants, bars, Kirkwood Avenue and the Indiana University campus. The lobby and reception areas were nice, but my room felt a little clinical. It was quiet, though (even next to the elevator), and there is free in-room wifi, free parking, and a huge TV. Only one small window that opened about four inches, which I quickly discovered because the smell of air freshener was absolutely overwhelming when I first came in. The bathroom light is on some sort of energy-saving mechanism, so when you first turn it on, it's very dim and then you have to wait for it to progressively get brighter. I'd already called the front desk for maintenance by the time I'd figured it out.

The staff was nice, but seemed slightly clueless. I had a problem with my key card on the second day that took four visits to reception to clear up. Then I had to wait to check out while they figured out how to input my Marriott voucher for credit.

All in all, not a bad place, but nothing terribly standout about it either. For the rate I paid ($200 a night), it was overpriced.

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the elevator for the most quiet stay.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Bloomington? Share your experiences!