“Checked in, Checked out.” 1 of 5 stars

Motel 6 Bloomington - Indiana University
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1800 N Walnut St, Bloomington, IN 47404   |
Ranked #23 of 23 Hotels in Bloomington
Albany, New York
“Checked in, Checked out.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is the worst motel I've ever had the privilege of seeing. I say seeing because as soon as we check in and saw the rooms, we checked out asked and received a full refund. We were traveling to Bloomington for a wedding and were looking for an inexpensive alternative to the the other hotels in the area, as we are on a tight budget. After checking in we tried to find our rooms. We were given 2 rooms next to each other as we have 5 in our family. We drove up and down but could not find the rooms as they were in the way back of the motel. There were many people just hanging out, with room doors open smoking and drinking, we even saw one guy peeing in a bush. Upon finding the rooms we're concerned for our safety immediately. The rooms were located in the very back of the motel. The only other vehicle in the parking area was a bicycle. We opened the 1st room and stopped at the door, absolutely disgusting. Stepping for a quick inspection, the floors were horrible some type of laminate or vinyl flooring. The bed spreads they were not comforters, were soiled and stained extensively. Gag reflex into action. The pillows looked like postage stamps and the mattresses were ancient and looked more like hammocks. The bathroom forget about it, nasty and I don't think there were any towels. The smell of urine filled the bathroom and there was some type of fluid on the floor. We backed out of the room to check the other room. We entered only to find other peoples things in the room. Got back in the car and back to the front desk. Is there a problem she says, are you kidding. I tell her about the filthy disgusting rooms one of which was already occupied and I asked for one of the newly updated rooms that are advertised on the web site. She told me that our rooms were the standard rooms at which point I asked for a refund as I would not subject my family to this filthy motel. After a phone call to someone, the credit was given in full. The girl at the front desk was pleasant, but one comment was odd. She said she wouldn't stay there either. This motel is a flea bag and looks like it rents rooms by the hour. Stay away. Motel 6 should be ashamed that their name is on the sign.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

So I needed a room for the night during the week as I was going to be traveling to a conference at a State Park and they didn't have any rooms for the night I needed it, so I began my search for a room. So I did a little research online and found out that they had NEW ROOMS, so I viewed the pictures and was like okay lets give it a try. Booked my room, arrived to the hotel and the lobby is nice, got to the room.....WOW! What a complete change from the pictures I seen online. It appears that they used another property's photos. The room looked like it just a new coat of paint, a new vanity, and hardwood floors. But, needless to say I wasn't impressed at all. The A/C was horrible and the people next to me were fighting all night long, called to the desk many times....and nothing happened. I would've been better off sleeping in my vehicle and going to a truck stop to clean up in the morning.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Well after reading the other reviews, there must be "good" rooms and "bad" rooms in this motel. The renovation that is shown in the photos did occur, but in this particular unit the floorboards were buckled from water damage. Immediately upon getting into the room, I noticed a strong urine smell. It subsided a little when the HVAC was turned on, but it was still very bad. The HVAC unit was ancient and very loud, and this was exacerbated by the fact that a semi truck was parked outside the neighboring hotel and idled for several hours. I also found a yellow stain on the fitted sheet of one of the beds. The night manager said she could not find another room for me, and she brought me a can of Febreze. The daytime manager gave me a 25% discount but only after I said I would call the corporate office.

The only positives were the location (excellent), and the price (low, but still not worth it). If you must stay here because of the price, you can at least take comfort that the other people staying at the hotel seemed to be fine, and the location felt safe.

Look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 102 at all costs. Tell the front desk you need to see the room before giving your credit...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Rochester, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Walked in, dropped our bags off. Floors were dirty and beds were filthy, with stains on both comforters. Immediately left and demanded a refund. I was rewarded with two nights free, exactly what I won't be using any time soon. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

This hotel was certainly inexpensive, but the inside of the room was shabby. The website said that rooms had been recently renovated, but it was a slap-dash renovation. What really needed renovating was ALL the bed linens. One of the bed covers had many burn holes and stains, and the blanket was very dirty. The shower stall was not clean, and there were trim pieces that were peeling off. The free internet did not work, and the floors were dirty. Unfortunately I can't say many good things about this place. We tried not to spend too much time in the room. Others we were traveling with also stayed here, and they were not as bugged by their rooms as we were.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Schererville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Very low cost for a good stay. Surprised by how modern the rooms looked. Would stay here again, esp for the great location and cost.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Terre Haute, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

We stayed here when we spent a weekend at Brown County State Park and Nashville, IN. It is not a 5 star hotel but it provides a good location and safety. The room was clean and spacious.

Room Tip: abnsave can offer a small discount if you book through the hotel website
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Motel 6 Bloomington - Indiana University? Share your experiences!