“Great place for a low budget!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Motel 6 Bloomington - Indiana University to your Saves list
Motel 6 Bloomington - Indiana University
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1800 N Walnut St, Bloomington, IN 47404   |
Ranked #23 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
“Great place for a low budget!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I've stayed asst a few Motel 6 before, so I sorry of have developed an image of what they are like. This one went above ABMs beyond that image. The lobby was very nice and well set up. Then when I got the room, I was shocked. It was very nice and clean. I've never Aden anti Motel 6 with the set up of this one. wood floors, a very nice vanity area, comfy beds... The way it's set up you wouldn't think you were at a low budget motel. I'm very impressed amass will definitely stay again when I'm back down here.

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

This is by far the worst hotel/motel i've ever stayed in. Unfortuantely, this was the last place in town that had rooms available for the football weekend, so we weren't left with many options. The lady at the front desk was the best part of the entire experience. She was very friendly and worked with me to find a room that was updated and near our friends. At first, she put us in the way back of the hotel and when I pulled up, there were some suspcious people sitting outside looking like they just woke up (it was 6 pm). So, I went back up to the front and asked to be moved to the front of the hotel, closest to Walnut st. She ended up finding a non-smoking room for us, which was a huge relief! My friends had to stay in smoking rooms and said the smell was unbearable (even air freshners couldn't help). Just standing in the room, I felt dirty. I had luckily brought a few blankets so we wouldn't have to touch any of the sheets or comforters. We were also stuck with two double beds which were horribly uncomfortable. I can pretty much sleep anywhere, but I woke up several times during the night. The towels were about half the size of normal towels and have been heavily used. Some of them even had yellow stains (I'll leave it up to you to determine what that was from...) So, I would recommend bringing your own towels. I have never felt so gross taking a shower in my life. I must say that the rooms have been updated, but at a verrrrry cheap price. I can't imagine what they looked like before the renovation. Since I graduated from IU and will be returning to Bloomington many times in the future, I can say that I will choose a different weekend to visit if this is the only place available.... especially because the rate was $100 per night during the football weekend.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay towards the back of the hotel. The woman at the front desk told me that there is usuall...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
lansing MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

Stayed three nights while attending Lotus World Music and Arts Fest the weekend of 9-24-11.

After being advised by a festival official to not stay there, I spoke to the Bloomington Director of Tourism, who personally went there, spoke to the manager who showed her a room. She called me the next day and said the room was spartan but in decent shape. So we decided to give it a try.

We were first given room 211, but the a/c was a little too noisy and the room rather musty smelling. I spoke to the desk clerk(friendly and co-operative) who then gave us 212 next door. It was much better. Spartan to be sure, but clean, reasonably well maintained, and had a refrig and micro-wave. One goofy thing is that they installed a "long" style toilet and you can't close the door without first raising the seat. OK you won't find that at a Hyatt, but at $139 for 3 nights, we could live with it. The beds were comfortable enough too. Also, it's close to town and a straight shot to the business area.

A place at that price point doesn't always attract a top tier of society and things got a little noisy Saturday night when someone's car alarm kept going off for a couple hours and another person felt the need to squeal his tires on entering the premises. The other two nights were OK.

So would we stay there again? It's a measured "yes". If you plan to spend most of your time out, aren't too concerned about amenities, and only need a place to sleep, It'll get you by. But much more than that and you may want to consider another place.

What can I say? It's a Motel 6!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Room was clean and staff were friendly. Was offered a sexual favor for a price by a person staying in room near mine. Obviously running prostitution from that location. I will pay extra to get away from that scene next time.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Bloomington, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Wished I had forked out another $20 bucks. Made reservation 2 months ago, and when arrived was told only smoking rooms available. They came up with one, but bathroom smells moldy, bathroom molding falling off wall and wall looks wet underneath, a/c not taking moisture (or smell) out of air, bed and pillow hard. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! definately less than desirable. Needs torn down and start over. New bathroom sink nice - now gut the rest. I am stuck

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Terre Haute, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

After I had returned from staying at this fleabag flophouse, I received a phone call from one of its employees, asking me if I had left a silver necklace (with a crucifix) in the room. Apparently, one of the staff found it when cleaning up. I realized I had, and asked them to hold it for me until the following Saturday.

When Saturday proved impossible, I called back and spoke to the manager. She advised me that it was their policy that if property was found in a guest's room, staff are not to tell the owner of the property. She informed me that when I asked the employee details about the necklace, the employee had violated hotel rules by revealing anything.

In other words, they intended to keep my property, even after it had been turned over to their lost and found!

Stay there at your own risk. If you must stay there, then be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you leave with ALL of your property!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Dyer, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

This is the dirtiest motel I have ever been in. The carpet looked like something out of CSI. Thanks God we did not have a blue light! Bathroom was filthy, sheets weren't clean, sink was stopped up. And we were itchy the next day!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Been to Motel 6 Bloomington - Indiana University? Share your experiences!