“Dirty and mismanaged” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 23 hotels in Bloomington
Chicago, Illinois
“Dirty and mismanaged”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

After checking in, I went to the “remodeled fitness facility” to work out only to find that the equipment was quite old and difficult on the knees.

I went back to my hotel room and did as recommended by experts…check the mattress for signs of bed bugs. To my horror, there was one moving. I called the front desk who asked if I could hold. I said just a quick moment. After 5 minutes, I hung up and went to the desk to tell them my room had bed bugs (if you see one, there are far more there). She asked if I wanted to change rooms. Was that question even necessary? I was given a new room but no offer of help to move my things from one room to the other. No one apologized or seemed even vaguely surprised at my finding. In addition, I was never offered any compensation for my troubles which includes having everything cleaned to prevent bringing any bugs home. Oh, and did I mention I was charged $10?? (I did try to find another hotel to stay but everything was booked...)

I did switch rooms to one without bugs. The next morning, I put my used towel on the floor to be changed as it had makeup powder on it. When I came back to my room Saturday night, I went to grab a clean towel from the shelf. I unfolded the nice new towel, only to discover it had the same make up stains. Yep, housekeeping just folded up the used towel and put it back. The wastebasket wasn’t emptied and the sink was dirty.

That evening the neighbors were having a party. They decided to smoke outside by the garbage can to entrance 2. The smell of smoke was extraordinarily strong in my room. The party went on all night even after I had asked them to quiet down and asked the front desk to handle it.

I would have loved to chat about this with a manager, but the manger was not reachable for the next few days. I will never stay at this establishment again (I am in the area frequently and was hoping to try somewhere new).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Doug T, Guest Relations Manager at Fourwinds Resort And Marina, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
I am so sorry your stay was filled with problems. The main problem was you received terrible service. I sincerely apologize for that and would love to try and earn your business again. We really have a nice very unique property. You are right the service was terrible for your visit. But I can assure you that will not happen again. Most reviews are very good for our property but we are going through some training issues and I promise we won't stop until all customers get what they paid for and more. Again please except my apology and I hope you might consider given us another chance to earn your business.

232 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in April and the hotel is set on a lake with beautiful views.

The rooms and common areas are so clean and renovated to a high level, the staff were very helpful and accommodating. The rates were fantastic, wish we had stayed longer

A great find and we will go back!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Doug T, Public Relations Manager at Fourwinds Resort And Marina, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
On behalf of myself, and our team, we thank you for your kind works and great review. We have undergone a major renovation and in the future we will be adding more new and exciting things to the resort so that when you come back we can continue to earn your business each and every time. We look forward to your return where I promise you will always get great service and a wonderful experience. Thank you again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We arrived Friday at 4:00 pm for check-in. As we got near our room, it still had not been cleaned. Luckily we came with a set of friends and waited about 45 minutes in their room for that to be completed. The next day we left until 4:00 pm, but came back and room was never cleaned and no fresh towels were provided. If there was any complaint it would be the housekeeping portion. Otherwise, Friendly staff, great food and a spectacular view. It was sunny and cool, but would love to come back when warmer. We had a great time despite the housekeeping issues. I will definitely try again to see if they can work the kinks out. Thanks Fourwinds for a great little getaway!

• Stayed April 2013
Doug T, Public Relations Manager at Fourwinds Resort And Marina, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
On behalf of myself, and our team, we thank you for your kind works and great review. We have undergone a major renovation and in the future we will still be adding more new and exciting things to the resort. Sorry for the housekeeping issue, we are in-between General Managers.We look forward to your return where I promise you will get great service and a wonderful experience. Thank you again.
Naples
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband and I went to the Fourwinds for our honeymoon. We were so dazzled that we are going back. Our room was very clean with very comfy sheets and pillows. There were so many lovely touches that made our stay so pleasant. The service was outstanding and the staff was extremely attentive. We loved our view and the grounds are exquisite. Definitely would recommend this hotel and we will be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Doug T, Public Relations Manager at Fourwinds Resort And Marina, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
On behalf of myself, and our team, we thank you for your kind works and great review. We have undergone a major renovation and in the future we will still be adding more new and exciting things to the resort. We look forward to your return where I promise you will continue to great service and a wonderful experience. Thank you again.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We were visiting family in the area and decided to stay a few extra days. We were greeted by friendly and professional personnel at check in and we were definitely impressed by the decor and the comfort of our room. The lobby area was undergoing renovation as we had expected from reading the reviews but it appeared nearly complete. The remaining hotel and resort still provided the amenities and enjoyed the service and the food at the restaurant. The views from all the common areas and the restaurants are gorgeous. I would definitely recommend this hotel and look forward to returning the next time we visit our family. PS the only reason I am giving four stars for cleanliness because of the renovation but otherwise there were no issues.

Room Tip: If you want a view ask for the ones facing the lake
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Doug T, Public Relations Manager at Fourwinds Resort And Marina, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
I and the entire staff at the FourWinds thank you for your review. We are trying each and every day to earn your business. We have invested a large amount of time, energy and funds to make the FourWinds the best it can be. The renovations are nearly complete and will be done by May 1st so any clutter should be gone. We hope to see you again and continue to give you the best experience possible. Thank you
Evansville, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We visited the Fourwinds Resort back in Feb. with the Groupon special. We were very happy with our stay and we are planning a return trip this Summer with friends. All of the staff was very friendly and accommodating. We ate lunch and breakfast in lounge and we were very please with portion sizes and overall taste...yummy!!

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms are worth the extra money!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
I and the entire staff at the FourWinds thank you for your review. We are trying each and every day to earn your business. We have invested a large amount of time, energy and funds to make the FourWinds the best it can be. We hope to see you again and continue to give you the best experience possible. Thank you
Cincinnati,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I made a reservation for a Junior King Suite, because we were traveling with a toddler and needed the extra space. The Junior King Suite was supposed to have a bedroom, a separate living room with a pullout sofa, and a kitchen. We drove 3 hours to get there, and stood in line for close to 40 minutes waiting to check in. At checkin I was told they had sold out of the room that we had booked, and they were putting us in a 1 bedroom room, with no pullout sofa and no kitchen. That meant 2 adults and 1 child in one bed...and they thought that was perfectly acceptable. We had also brought groceries with us planning to cook, and now found ourselves without a kitchen. I tried complaining to the manager, Josh, who was completely unsympathetic or willing to do much to make the situation better. He offered us a free $20 breakfast but refused to do anything else. In my mind $20 was a slap in the face, for the inconvenience and told him this was not enough. He told me that the breakfast was all they would do, and that he wasn't going to "give me the house". WOW. FYI the resort is going though a renovation and is a total mess - building supplies were stacked up by the front lobby door, the front desk was severely understaffed, the "manager" looks like he is 18 and would rather be somewhere else. Please do yourself a favor and go somewhere else. This relaxing weekend has turned into the weekend from hell.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. They will not guarantee the room that you book is available.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
I and the staff are very sorry we did not have the room you had booked. I understand that you did get the correct room for the second night and your husband was happy with the free food coupon we gave to compensate for the room. However it is clear you are not satisfied so please feel free to call and ask for Josh he will correct this and make you happy. Our goal like most all hotels is we must have satisfied customers and we will do what it takes to make you satisfied. Thank you and again on behalf of the Fourwinds we are sorry for our mistake.

Been to Fourwinds Resort And Marina? Share your experiences!