“Nice Choice in Bloomington” 4 of 5 stars

Grant Street Inn
310 North Grant Street, Bloomington, IN 47408   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Bloomington B&B and Inns
Chicago, IL
“Nice Choice in Bloomington”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

We've stayed at Grant Street on several occasions are always satisfied with our stay. The Inn is in a great location, as you can walk to restaurants, bars, shops and the campus. Rooms are simple but charming and clean. Breakfast is very good as well. Room 26 has a private balcony and 31 is nicely decorated and has shared porch access. Bathrooms (especially showers) are small. Staff is helpful and accomodating.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
East Central, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

We stayed here for one night after an IU football game. The service was wonderful. We loved the plate of home made cookies, assorted teas and coffee waiting for us. The Inn itself is spotless and decorated beautifully. Our room was nice size with a large TV. Everything worked as it should. The breakfast buffet was a gourmet treat with enough options to please everyone. Quiche, eggs, sausage, potatoe casserole, oatmeal, coffee cake, muffins and a nice variety of fresh fruit was plentiful and displayed beautifully.
The Grant Street Inn is walking distance to Kirkwood and Bloomington nightlife.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

I booked this hotel using points from my credit card. I got to the hotel around 1:00. Check in time is 3:00. They said my room wasn't ready so I checked my luggage and went out to do some shopping. It was raining out and I had a cold so I went back to the hotel around 2:30 hoping my room might be ready so I could rest. I was told that it would be around 10 minutes. I was told this without him looking it up. It seems that they don't let anyone check in early even if their room might be ready. Ten minutes later, everyone who was sitting in their lobby got up to stand in line to check in. I just sat and waited for the line to go down. I don't understand why they work this way. I travel frequently and have never encountered this before.
The room was very nice. I pad an extra $30 a night for a room with 2 queen beds vs. the king bed I had booked. It was a nice sized room and large bathroom. Big enough for my daughter and I to both put on makeup at the same time and have plenty of space. We had a hard time getting the temperature in the room right. It was either too hot or too cold. The second morning at the hotel, my shower went cold. Right before it went cold, I think the toilet flushed in the room next to me. It got hot again but a few minutes later, I lost hot all together. A cold shower isn't a good way to start the day! I called the front desk to let them know. They were apologetic but thats all.
The hotel is in a fabulous location. One block off of Michigan Ave. and basically central to everything. I'm just not sure I would stay here again because of mediocre customer relations.

• Stayed October 2009
Marlborough, Wiltshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

This is one of my favourite B&Bs in the world. It has everything right - from being greeted with coffee and macaroons on arrival, to the friendly staff, to the beautiful, individual rooms. The decor is impeccable, the breakfast sensational, and the location convenient for the university and downtown.

Sounds too good to be true - but it is! I can't recommend it highly enough to anybody wanting to stay in Bloomington.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

My first time in the US, and this was a wonderful place to stay. Put up by UI during conference. Excellent breakfasts, really excellent. The room was sumptuous (a double bed with two mattresses, one on top of the other - like the princess and the pea!) and the staff were extremely friendly. Everything was perfect - hugely memorable and highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

Great place to stay in Bloomington! Clean, quiet and homey. Perfect place to stay if you have a child at Indiana university. we are going back to stay there this weekend.

• Liked — quiet and clean, Old Victorian bed and breakfast
  • Disliked — only 2 people to a room allowed
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

I was put up here by a department in IU during a recruitment visit. What a wonderful place! Great rooms (we were in the annex and were able to see all of the open rooms during the day, all were wonderfully decorated), and if you book on their reservation system, you can pick the room you want (with pictures!). I didn't get to do that and sadly, mine only had a shower. I think some may have bathtubs which I prefer, but that's neither here nor there.
Breakfast was excellent every day. They have cookies in the afternoon and coffee available all day (a real plus as there are no in-room coffee makers and I need LOTS of coffee).
Very convenient location. We could walk anywhere that we wanted to go. Bloomington has great shops and independently owned restaurants--too many, i wanted to try all of them! And the area is very safe.
My only complaint is that (in the annex at least) they have those room heaters that you find in hotels/motels, and we couldn't get the heat right. The working fireplace was nice, but waaaay to hot. It seemed like I was constantly messing with the heater and the windows didn't open. Just a minor problem, certainly not a deal-breaker. May have just been the room as it seemed smaller than others.
Staff were great and so friendly (I'm from Florida where everyone seems so rude and impersonal). It was very welcoming.
Overall this was one of the best places that I have ever stayed.

• Liked — The great rooms
  • Disliked — The heater : /
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Grant Street Inn? Share your experiences!