“Good location, clean, tidy and contemporary” 4 of 5 stars

Bed and Breakfast Deal
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Portland, Oregon
“Good location, clean, tidy and contemporary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Great location right on the main street in Bloomington. I flew into Indianapolis and drove to Bloomington for a conference that lasted 3 days. Being located downtown, parking is in a multi-story garage behind the hotel, but it has a direct connection to the hotel. $5 per day for parking is not too bad, but then again this isn't NY city! Front desk staff were very welcoming and helpful and I was soon on my way to my room.
The room was large and well appointed and the bathroom was clean and large. I asked for a room overlooking the back of the property (not on the street side of the hotel) and consequently had a view over the parking garage, which was what I asked for so I can't complain! Being a tall building, it is actually constructed from concrete and bricks and as such noise from your neighbors is much reduced over stick built properties.

I ate in the sportsbar there once which was was OK, standard bar food. I did not eat breakfast.

Overall I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street if you are a light sleeper....
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
MikeCampbell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We strive to be a clean and friendly place to stay while you Bloomington. I'm glad you got to experience our great downtown area with its many shops, restaurants, and walkable districts. We hope to see you again very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Valparaiso, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This hotel has a great location and the staff always makes us feel welcome. We've used this Hilton Garden Inn every time we've visited our son at IU, and even before he was a student. We highly recommend it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us again and again! One of the really fun part of working at a hotel in Bloomington is getting to meet and get to know the parents of our IU students over the course of 4 years. We will work very hard to make this a great place to stay while you are in Bloomington. Go Hoosiers!
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Six-story Hilton Garden Inn (HGI) -- 160+ standard rooms in downtown Bloomington on square.

2 Queen Beds Room on 3rd Floor
---------------------------------------------
• City-small, narrow room facing back of hotel. Comfortable for 1 or 2 people, cramped for 3 or 4.

• Relatively quiet; not disturbed by street or hall sounds. Courtyard/ parking garage view -- not street view (N. College Ave.) at front of hotel.

• Sleep system bed: set dial to desired firmness/ softness *before* going to bed, so mattress has enough time to adjust to your selection. (Dial is on side of top mattress; lift sheet & turn dial.) Liked this queen-sized, sleep system bed at this HGI. (Had king-sized sleep system bed at another HGI & didn't like at all.)

• Spacious desk with enough electrical outlets for electronic gadgets. Free Internet/WiFi (& hardwire). Also, remote print (from your room) to printer in Business Center downstairs by lobby. Comfortable ergonomic office chair.

• Tiered cabinet with microwave on top shelf, coffeemaker in middle, & mini-fridge at bottom. (Two free bottles of water at check in.) (If staying a while & watching budget, purchase drinks & meals at local eateries/ grocers (within walking distance). Store drinks/ food in mini-fridge & re-heat meals in microwave; avoid costlier Pavilion Pantry foods/ beverages.)

• Smallish, flat-panel HDTV (26" LCD) that swivels to your viewing direction: bed, desk, or comfy chair by window.

• Smallish bathroom: shower/ tub combo with towels at far end of shower. Enough counter space & fragrant toiletries.

$14+ Breakfast Buffet
-----------------------------
• On-site Great American Grill (on lobby level): 6:30-10am on Mon-Fri; 7-11am on Sat, Sun.

• No free buffet certificates/ coupons for HHonors members. ($14+ x 5 mornings = $70+; also add tip for excellent service.)

• Hot & cold foods: cooked-to-order omelets/ eggs, french toast, pancakes, croissants, meats (ham, bacon, sausage) gravy, home fries, fresh fruit (pineapple, strawberry, cantaloupe...) yoghurts, breads, cereals, milk, juice, coffee, tea, etc.

• Spacious dining area -- tables/ chairs & booths with excellent service: they seat you, take omelet order, & follow up. (Overflow/ outdoor patio dining in nice weather.)

Pricey Room Service
----------------------------
• From on-site Coaches sports bar/ restaurant (Indiana University (IU) Hoosiers, beer, food) at lobby level: 11am-10pm on Sun-Thur; 11am-midnight on Fri, Sat.

• Tasty shrimp pasta, cobb salad; reasonable servings; prompt delivery; pricey as expected with room service, but wonderfully convenient if returning late & just too tired to go out for food.

Conveniences/ Niceties
--------------------------------
• $5 self-parking in multi-level parking garage behind hotel. [From hotel, take 1 (of 2) elevators down to Courtyard level (bottom/ basement floor) then walk across courtyard to garage. Take garage elevator (or stairs) to your parking level. (For clarity, the Lobby is 1 floor above Courtyard level.)] Ample parking, no difficulty finding a spot. (Hotel will issue you 2 separate keycards: 1 for room, 1 for parking garage.)

• Business Center (on lobby level next to front desk) 2 computers, printer, & copier for printing boarding passes/ documents; spacious desk & 2 comfortable office chairs.

• Mid-sized exercise room (on lobby level) with ellipticals, treadmills, weight machine, bicycle, etc. (Wonderfully walkable area (right outside hotel door) you may have little use for exercise room in nice weather, but are grateful for it in inclement weather.)

• Plenty of nearby eateries/ shops within walk distance to suit any budget & palate.

• Access to nearby roadways: 37, 45, 46.

• Depending on traffic, approx. 1+ hour drive (~60mi/ 97 km) to Indianapolis International Airport (IND).

Recommend this solid HGI.

Suggestion: If lengthy stay & want to economize, think out meals & prep accordingly -- especially if 2 or more people (in your party). In-room mini-fridge & microwave help, as well as nearby groceries/ takeout. (Pricey on-site dining quickly adds up over several days -- easily doubling/ tripling meal expenses.)

• Stayed September 2012
MikeCampbell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of the property. We are glad we were able to meet your expectations and earn your recommendation to others. Please come see us again soon.
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

As the frequency of my stays show, I am very pleased with this hotel.
I wrote already reviews about that place and I pointed that the attention of the breakfast area improved a lot but as I mentioned earlier already, housekeeping still needs some improvement, out of my view.
It improved already compared to my last review but I see it this way, to me it would belongs to self pride as well to normal common sense, that I would not forget to take care necessary details, while handing over the room after cleaning back to my customers.
I cannot understand how it comes that housekeeping randomly forget to replace for example stuffs like toilet paper, tissues, coffee, soup etc, if they do that job daily?
I could imagine that my employer would expect of me, that I am able to repeat my work steps in every single room as I did in the room before with the same attitude and attention to the needs of the customers in a "Hilton Hotel".
Sure, it is not only here so that I have to take care of it by my own to get stuffs replaced that housekeeping wasn't able to provide and as I pointed, it isn't related to it if I leave a tip or not, it didn't make a difference but related to the name of the hotel, the expectations of the customers here are somewhat higher opposite an average hotel.
This place is nevertheless one of the best I staid within North America and I am very thankful for the stellar attention of the staff and outstanding service around my stays.
Thank you!

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay, but more importantly that you felt comfortable enough to stay with us again. I was glad to see that we had improved in some of the areas you noted since your last visit as our goal as to continuously get better and better. Thank you for rating us one of the best you have stay at in North America. We hope to see you again very soon!
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Went to Bloomington for a basketball game between North Carolina and Indiana. Stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn because it seemed to be close to Assembly Hall. The hotel was a convenient 1.3 miles from the coliseum which allowed me to leave my car parked and my wife and I took the short walk and saved the hassle of traffic and parking. The hotel was located in a downtown area that provided $5/night parking, several restaurants within a couple of blocks as well as a sports bar/restaurant open within the hotel that was open all day. I had positive interaction with several of the staff that proved to be very willing to help in any way they could. The rooms were very clean and well maintained.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and for reviewing our property. We are glad we were able to add to a great weekend of IU Basketball with you and your family. Our goal is always to provide a clean and comfortable facility with friendly and helpful staff. Bloomington is such a great college town and we hope you come back for an upcoming Big Ten game to root on the Hoosiers!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed one night while visiting IU with my son. We got in late and the room was ready. Clean room, nice staff and everything that you would expect from a Hilton Garden Inn. I would definitly stay here again - no doubt about it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MikeCampbell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We are very glad that your last trip to Bloomington was enjoyable and we look forward to your next visit with us. See you very soon!
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights on a Wednesday and Thursday. The young/ student staff actually seemed to care and interested with my stay. The breakfast and wait staff were very good as well. The room smelled and looked clean. There was plenty of space in the room even with 2 beds. Overall an impressive hotel of its caliber for a college town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
MikeCampbell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel! Being in Bloomington we are blessed with having a good group of IU students working with us at the HGI. We are glad we were able to meet your expectations and we hope your return very soon.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington? Share your experiences!