“Good choice except perhaps during bad winter weather” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Bloomington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cleveland
“Good choice except perhaps during bad winter weather”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

This property is superbly located for exploring downtown Bloomington. The hotel is clean and the staff is friendly and competent. Rooms are well appointed. Received a good rate using the AAA discount and booking online. My king-sized bedroom was perhaps a little small, but it had a good desk with free internet and one chair and stool; no complaints for a solo traveler. In typical hotel fashion, you had to plod through the remote menu offerings to access cable channels.

On Saturdays in the summer, there is an excellent farmers' market behind the hotel. This market is an interesting place to catch a breakfast or lunch.

There were two annoying negatives.

The elevators were small and only two were available for not only guests, but also for service personnel. In the morning, when everybody was trying to check out, maids were filling the elevators with towel carts! I would hate to be in this hotel when only one elevator was working.

Also the parking situation is not ideal. There are perhaps ten 15-minute parking slots in front of the hotel. These are to be used to register and then unload (load upon leaving).

I had a lot of luggage for a business trip that I didn't want to leave in my car. Upon checking in, I found a vacant unloading slot and a luggage carrier was available to help me port my luggage to my room in one trip. No complaint.

Upon checking out around 10 a.m., no parking slots or luggage carriers were available. I instead made three trips to my car in the parking garage, which necessitated using the packed elevators repeatedly, often waiting for an empty one.

The parking garage is a public garage behind the hotel and is accessed through a small, open-air courtyard off the hotel's basement level. It's perhaps a three-minute walk with luggage from the hotel elevator to the parking garage elevator. Crossing the open-air courtyard may be unpleasant in inclement weather, especially during a snowstorm/blizzard. Parking was $5 through 6 p.m. the day of checkout with in/out privileges.

I would stay here again very willingly given the hotel's quality and excellent location despite the elevators and parking situation.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
MikeCampbell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
Thank you for your detailed comments about your most recent stay with us and your desire to stay with us again. Just like you, we think downtown Bloomington has some great offerings and we are currently developing a more specific downtown map to provide our guest with better recommendations like the ones you gave in your review. I've talked through some of the points you brought up regarding the congestion in the elevator at checkout time and the walkway to the garage. We do keep the courtyard cleared when it does snow and thankfully the covered garage keeps the car free of snow, but perhaps there is a better way for us to handle this. Thanks again for the positive feedback and we'll work to make your next stay even better.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Potomac, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

We stayed 3 nights on business at the Garden Inn before moving down to the Marriott Courtyard for our 3 nights of leisure. Simply put, we would have been better off paying a little more to stay at the Hilton! The rooms were clean, well-equipped, and the "Revolution" adjustable king bed provided a great nights sleep! All staff we encountered were friendly, helpful, and efficient in meeting any request. Our room was a bit on the small side, but clean, comfortable and very well-maintained.

Parking in the garage directly behind (and connected to) the Hilton was a real value at $5/day.

We will definitely recommend the Hilton Garden Inn over the Courtyard Marriott to those looking for a pleasant and affordable stay in Bloomington.

Room Tip: Be sure to book your Garden Inn room at the Hilton website, rates were $40 LESS per night compared w...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I've passed along your kind words to our team members! We strive to deliver on a providing a clean, comfortable room and attentive friendly service and I love it when we are able to deliver on this promise. We look forward to your next visit.
Up North
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

I stay here when I am on business in town and I love it. Clean, spacious rooms with everything you need. Great staff and a cracking breakfast. Would thoroughly recommend it!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
MikeCampbell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
Thank you for your recommendation! It sounds like you have stayed with us many times and that is the highest compliment you can give us and we truly value it. Please let me know the next time you are in town, I'd love to meet you and thank you personally.
Miami, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

Stayed there for 5 days while visiting family there. Staff is exceptional and very helpful. Room was very spacious, and clean. Location can't be beat if you want to be close to downtown activities and University. Nice coffee service down in the lobby. Breakfast buffet pretty average but good. Parking garage located right next door and was $5.00 per day. Parking card for garage didn't work half of the time had to constantly ring for assistance. Would of given a higher rating but elevators take a long time only 2 for a six story hotel so when everyone is checking out in the morning the wait is long. Water pressure was almost nonexistent. But overall very nice Hilton to stay at.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I was happy to hear your stay with us was both pleasant and enjoyable. This morning I passed along your comments to our housekeeping and front desk team members. They do a great job and strive to always deliver on great service and a clean room. Next time you stay with us, look for the fresh pastries we are adding to the breakfast buffet starting in July. Based on your comments about parking, I have also spoken with the garage manager today your pass not working consistantly and what would have caused this. It sounds like a glitch in the system. I appreciate you letting us know.
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

I just returned from an overnight stay in Bloomington, where I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn downtown. It was a PERFECT stay. I have stayed in many hotels across the country at this price point, and I have never had a better hotel experience. The staff was friendly and helpful, and were right there to provide the toiletries that I had forgotten from home. Everyone from the people at the front desk, to the people that cleaned the rooms, always had a smile on their face and said hello. The room itself was spacious and very clean. The location was absolutely perfect. An assortment of restaurants and shops are within steps of the hotel. I will never stay anywhere else when I visit Bloomington, and I will highly recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
MikeCampbell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write! Downtown Bloomington is so convenient and walkable and we love being a part of it. The next time you're in town please let us know, we would love to take care of you again.
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

This hotel is located in the heart of downtown Bloomington,the staff was very friendly and the accommodations was awesome! If you are traveling to Bloomington and want to be in the heart of downtown, close to restaurants, shopping and the nightlife, you cannot beat this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
MikeCampbell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
Perfect! Thanks for the thumbs up. I'm glad your stay in Bloomington was a good one. Please let us know the next time you're in town. We'd love to take care of you again.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

Newer hotel with clean rooms and great service. Sports bar in hotel was great option. Very close to University and downtown restaurant options. What you expect from Hilton garden inn as business traveler. Will stay here next time.

• Stayed March 2011
MikeCampbell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, March 24, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. It was great to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable. Bloomington is a great city and we look forward to you come back to visit!

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington? Share your experiences!