“Great Stay But Watch Out for Pending Credit Card Charges!!!!!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 23 hotels in Bloomington
Michigan
“Great Stay But Watch Out for Pending Credit Card Charges!!!!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

We stayed in this hotel before our visit to Indiana University. The rooms were very clean and the beds very comfortable. The weather was terrible and we drove here from the middle of Michigan and it took us 9 hours to drive what should have been 5.5 hours. We arrrived at 12:30 a.m. to a very friendly lady at the front desk. I wish all front desk employees were like her. After telling her about our exhaustive trip we asked if we could use the pool and she said it closed at 11 but since we had just gotten in from such a long drive she told us to go ahead and use it. Boy what a shock we got when we got to the pool, it was freezing cold (just what we wanted to do climb in a freezing pool after we had been in driving in subzero temperatures for the last 9 hours) so we just used the spa which was very warm. My daughter did get in the pool for about 5 minutes but about froze to death so she got out and got in the hot tub which in turn made her sick going from freezing cold to hot!!! But my biggest complaint was after we arrived home, I checked my credit card only to find that the hotel had held up $115 worth of pending charges on the first day of our stay and $124 on the second day of our stay (which was actually the day we checked out) and I had paid cash for the nights stay. There was no reason to hold that on our card and I had to make several calls to get them to finally get it straightened out. They did finally get the pending charges off our card but it took from fri untl the following tues to finally get it off of my card. Botton line was I paid CASH for the room and these holds should have never been placed on our card. Room was great but watch for unnesscesary holds on your credit card!!!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

198 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2009

We've been back to Bloomington several times over the past couple of years since our son is going to school at IU. This trip was different because he was moving to a new apartment. We decided to try a different hotel that was closer to his new apartment, thinking that would be more convenient.

What a nightmare! After arriving exhausted from the 12-hour drive, we checked in and the place was just a disaster. Everything looked very used, so that even though it looked like the cleaning crew had tried to clean, there's a point where things are so old that no amount of cleaning is going to help! Each bed had many thin worn pillows that probably wouldn't add up to one useful pillow. The linens, carpet and bathroom just looked dirty and dingy. My son called with more bad news. His new apartment (which he had already agreed to delay his move-in time) was not only not ready - it was totally trashed! We were so tired, hungry and discouraged and my husband was ready to blow a major fuse. Everyone left to go get luggage so I quickly called the Holiday Inn and basically begged for help!

NOTE: The night desk person at this original hotel cancelled the reservation without charging us. He was friendly and understanding - the one bright spot in the place!

My family came back dragging in luggage and I told them to turn right back because I had checked out. My husband was suspicious and didn't believe this night could possibly be salvaged. OMG! What a wonderful reception the manager gave me! She immediately told me to bring my tired family right over! We were back in familiar surroundings and she took time from her busy activities to listen to our sad tales of crummy hotel rooms and trashed new apartments. She immediately offered to round up phone numbers to help with the apartment lease agreements and the next morning, the morning clerk had the numbers ready - and even this second representative went far above and beyond by helping us locate IU contacts who might be appropriate resources for our son.

Our kids were thrilled to have the use of the wonderful pool area and you can't believe what a relief it was after so much disappointment - to feel like we had come "home" to the Holiday Inn Express.

Congratulations to the Holiday Inn for great accomodations - but even more important - for having such a wonderful staff! They are The Best!!

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

This hotel looks nice, but it is not nice. It is at the very low end of its type. The room smelled bad from stale air. There are no rooms in the hotel with windows that open. You have no temperature control on the AC and it is freezing. If you turn the system to fan, it barely moves the stagnant air. Shower was extremely difficult to set, which was particularly unfortunate since the hot was scalding. My alarm clock didn't work. It's near some chain restaurants and a shopping center. I don't think there are many other options in the area. If you can, you might want to consider something closer to Indianapolis .... I would never ever stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for the IU vs. OSU game. Other than jacking the price for the weekend and a two-night minimum, the hotel was clean, rooms were nice and spacious and the breakfast buffet was fine. About a 10 minute drive to the IU campus with some nearby shopping including TJ Maxx and Old Navy. Good location to stay if you're going to a game.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
SoCal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

I asked for room with a King bed and they put me in a handicap room. That meant a bigger room and bathroom! Good location, friendly staff, clean rooms/bathrooms. The breakfast is good for a holiday inn express. To be honest it was better than the breakfast we had at Golden Corral right across the street.

The staff also went beyond the call of duty in my opinion. I wanted to print my boarding passes the night before but the door to the business office wasn't working so the person on duty opened her office and let us use her computer and printer.

I would recommend this place to anyone staying in Bloomington.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights after trying the Courtyard by Marriott and hating it. Holiday Inn Express had a big room with king size bed and sofa. All was clean and comfy. Staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast had good variety. Across the street from several restaurants including a McDonalds and Texas Roadhouse.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

Had a great stay. Restaurants are very close. Hotel employees were very kind and helpful. Continental breakfast was wonderful- had lots of variety. Our room was clean and bed was comfy.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Bloomington? Share your experiences!