“Loved It!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 9 Bloomington B&B and Inns
Memphis, Tennessee
“Loved It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

We have stayed many times in other Bloomington hotels, as our daughter is a student at IU. But coming on a big game weekend, we found that all our known hotels were sold out. Quite by accident, we stumbled upon the Showers Inn, and what a treat for us! The Inn has been brought into the 21st century, making sure to have all the conveniences of today, but the charm of the original house has been left in all the right places. Our room had windows on 3 of the 4 walls, giving us a beautiful view of Bloomington from various angles. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in. In fact, my husband said that he got very little sleep, because I woke him so many times doing the night to tell him how comfortable I was. The staff was warm and welcoming. The food was excellent. My only complaint was that I couldn't stay longer. Had to hit the road early, and didn't have time to see more of the Inn. Will definitely return, and hopefully for longer next time.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

As avid IU fans, we love to venture down to Bloomington whenever we have a chance for a football weekend or basketball weekend -- this has quickly become the ONLY place we stay! The rooms are wonderful (ahh the beds!), the breakfast and cozy dining area always hits the spot and the staff there are all very friendly. They can make breakfast to your preference if you like your eggs a particular way and are happy to share their recommendations in Bloomington. I love this place and with its great location to campus, Kirkwood (main bar street), as well as the downtown square, you are literally within a brief walk to anywhere you want to go! If you are traveling with others and are planning to book 3 or 4 rooms, you may want to request the main house as there are 4 total rooms in there - we frequently fill all 4 rooms with everyone we are with, thus allowing even more of a sense of "being at home." You can meet your friends by the fireplace below, all sit at the dining table for breakfast, gather on the main balcony off the large room and more. Highly recommend...and be sure to sign the guest book on the way out!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

if you are visiting bloomington, this is the best place to stay, hands down. i have been visiting
the area for the last 6 years, and wish that the Showers Inn was built then. Immaculate clean, modern rooms, all have mini kitchenettes, granite counters, jacuzzi tubs, i-pod ports with stereo speakers in the ceiling. our room was beautifully appointed and comfortable. I love this place

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

Best time to stay is when college Is not in session. We went in May and it was very quiet and romantic. The staff is friendly, professional, fun and caring. I cannot wait to go back. I have been searching for this same type of B&B with a Boutique Hotel in Other states. Breakfast is awesome, made to order eggs, lovely bakery and great tea and coffee selections. Rooms are modern in the Composer house. hardwood floors, high tech audio systems, bring your iPods!, granite counters, kitchenettes and beds you will not want to leave!

• Stayed May 2011
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

This B&B is nice. Not exquisite, which I would expect for the price I paid. The staff is kind but the "services" provided were average to non-existent and "breakfast" is continental at best. The location is in downtown Bloomington, which despite what others might say about being removed from campus is still right next to partying college kids. I was expecting to be pampered and impressed beyond belief as this was the most I have EVER spent on a B&B stay. I was sorely disappointed. College kids partying literally right next door until 2 am. The size of the room was average and nothing stood out as "wow, this is really worth $200+ a night!" The website was misleading. I was not greeted with afternoon tea and delicious baked goods. Getting an in-room massage, which is listed as a feature of the establishment, was like pulling teeth and caused more tension than worth it. I could have stayed in a similar establishment for two or three nights for the price I paid for this non-impressive disappointment. Totally worth about $100 per night, absolutely no more. I have never felt so "hosed" in my life. Pros: bed was comfy. I slept fine once the blasting bass next door was turned off. Cons: the free wireless does not work very well at all, and you can hear everything going on in the inn, outside of the inn and in the neighborhood (aka no real sense of privacy for those on romantic visits). Drunk, loud folks out all night. I was worried about my vehicle because the off-street parking seemed to share space with local renters who were milling about all night. Summary: I was extremely disappointed with my overall experience. I won't stay here again unless I win the lottery or my husband's MBA from IU starts paying 7 figures. I will also be cautioning others from spending the outrageous rates to stay here.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

During my very first visit to Bloomington IN, my boyfriend (an IU alum) found the Showers Inn through the local tourism bureau. They couldn't have recommended a better place for us! We love staying at B&B's whenever we travel, and the Showers Inn has that perfect blend of historic charm and modern amenities that a good B&B should have. Anne, Mike, and the rest of the staff were as friendly as can be. The house has been beautifully remodeled; our room (the "Sandburg") featured an original tub and brand-new shower head, pedestal sink, and flat-screen TV. We enjoyed our breakfast at a bistro table, then took our coffee out to the walled, sunken garden -- the ideal spot to spend a spring morning. The inn is quite close to campus, but we felt just enough removed from the hustle & bustle of a busy college weekend. The price was very competitive, and well worth *not* staying at a mainstream hotel. We hope to come back to the Showers Inn again soon!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

Wow where do I begin! First I will start with reservations and check -in. I was given a bargain business rate for a first -class top notch place to lay my weary head.(Thank-you Mike) Upon check -in were delecious homemade oatmeal cranberry/raisin and peanut butter cookies. I had reserved the Lazy River room which was located in the 1920 House. There are 2 different homes to choose a room from, they are the 1903 Home of the Showers family and the 1920 House owned by the Showers family. Both of these homes have recently had over one million dollars spent to create the upscale accommodations and it shows!! The Lazy River room had a jacuzzi spa tub, kitchenette with microwave, refrigerator, sink, granite counter top, and a flat screen tv (satellite)above the timer controlled gas fireplace. The queen sized bed was heavenly which included elaborate bedding and a ceiling fan above it. Another thing the room had (which was the first time I have seen this) was a built in Ipod docking station in the wall. The room was furnished with classic elegance yet trendy. Breakfast consisted of fresh fruit, granola, cereal, bread, bacon and eggs. Coffee, juice , milk and assorted teas were also available. Private parking was off street behind both of the inns. This inn made me forget that I was on a required business trip instead it turned out to be a romantic Valentine luxury getaway. This is the only place I will ever stay when visiting Bloomington. Thank -you Showers Inn for my exceptional accomodations! For pictures and a tour check out their website: showersinn.com

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Been to Showers Inn? Share your experiences!