“Disappointing to my surprise” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 14 Restaurants in Berne
Cuisines: American
Indiana
“Disappointing to my surprise”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

The Palmer House in Berne, IN in my opinion has gone downhill over the past few years. It used to be the place to go for Swiss style meals in this Swiss themed town. On the Christmas tree lighting downtown after Thanksgiving I expected the restaurant to be busy. We came in at 6:30PM and the place was empty. That was surprising. We opted out of their "famous" smorgasbord. It didn't look appealing and we didn't want to pay the price of about $11 so we ordered off the menu. We ordered an appetizer and it was delivered with the main course. I find that aggravating when that happens. Appetizers should come first. Our main course included a brat sandwich. But to our amazement it wasn't a bratwurst. It was a sausage patty on a hamburger bun. WHAT? I have never seen a brat come that way. It tasted like a breakfast sausage patty. That's just not right for a Swiss restaurant. The breaded tenderloin was OK. Usually these Indiana specialties are thin pork , breaded and deep fried. Ours were thick and heavily breaded. Ok but not what I expected. Overall, OK place but not up to my expectation for a place known for its traditionally good food.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Very good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Comfort food at its best. The friendly crew and peaceful setting are a blessing. We especially enjoy the Friday buffet is an excellent offering of chicken, beef, and local sausage. Take a walk around Bern while there...it's a step back in time. If you love comfort food this is your place

Berne, Indiana
“Great food & service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Great food & service in downtown Berne near clocktower and Swiss Heritage Village.

Visited October 2011
“Good place to go”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011 via mobile

Like the other reviews have said, this place is a nice, quiet place to eat. Its like what Restaurants in America need to be. No fast food crap, just good food and great service.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Indiana
“Great Mom & Pop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

Stopped on the way to see family and by accident stopped in this quaint little restaurant. We had the greatest waitress who had been there since she was a teenager and is just about the sweetest person ever. I had a breaded tenderloin that was the best piece of thick meat I ever had. No flat piece of cardboard here! Homemade milkshakes and great onion rings. I only wish we were there for dinner, because the dining room wasn't open yet. The town is small and friendly so just drop in and have a treat.

• Visited June 2011