“A little old world charm in the heart of Batesville, IN” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Historic German Restaurant in Batesville, Indiana. Over 100 years old- you should have this listed !!!
Massachusetts
“A little old world charm in the heart of Batesville, IN”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Just off I-74, between Indianapolis and Cincinnati, in downtown Batesville, is the Sherman House Restaurant and Inn. I was staying in the area on business and asked the front desk manager at my hotel (Hampton Inn) for a dinner recommendation and she suggested I check out the Sherman House ... it was a great suggestion.

I got there at 8PM, just before closing time (8:30), but was welcomed and given great service (as long as you get there before they close, they don't rush you out). I had the pork schnitzel garnished with gravy, lemon, and chopped hard-boiled egg, which came with fried biscuits & apple butter, potato pancakes, and a trip to the salad bar. Everything was delicious ... the pork very tender and wafer thin. All this was less than $20, and way too much to eat!

I enjoyed it so much that I went again for lunch the next day with a colleague. If your in the area, or driving along I-74, stop by and give them a try!

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Pretty cool and great food at a good price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We spent part of our honeymoon here and it was great. Very sweet romantic atmosphere. Especially if you like history. Want to go back for an anniversary

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Indianapolis
“Fabulous hidden suprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Stopped in tentatively for a late lunch/early dinner ~5p on a trip between Cincinati and Indianapolis. We were the only people there under 60 yrs old and although the architecture and decor were interesting, I wondered if we'd made a mistake - but that could not have been further from the truth! German food was terrific, portions large, and staff delightful. Wonderful visit. Would recommend.

Roselle, Illinois
“Fun old architecture and great food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

The location is in downtown Batesville. The food was old style German like and was very good. We were served fried biscuits and apple butter. The taste was great on the biscuits alone. My wife had the half and half soup and chicken salad sandwich. She said the soup was very good. The kids had chicken fingers and corn dog which both went fast so the kids enjoyed them. I had the pork schnitzel with egg on top and gravy on the bottom. It was excellent. The service was very helpful and attentive.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“European Charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I am reviewing the Sherman House Hotel. This is an institution in Batesville, IN, and for 39 years we've driven past on our way from Chgo to Cinti wanting to stop. We are glad we finally did! This hotel might not be for those who only like franchise lodging as it is old enough to feel like Gen. Sherman could have stayed. But it's a baby compared to European small town lodging, and it's clean, good bed and a sit down breakfast included. We were called by name, given a special room, and our bikes were secured easily. It's heyday might be passed, but it is real and in a nice small town. There's a great brewery with gourmet food down the street called Lil Charlie's if the German restaurant is closed.

• Visited April 2014