“Enjoyed our stay - lovely location, good service” 3 of 5 stars

Illinois Beach Resort and Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Lake Front Drive, Zion, IL 60099   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Zion
Chicago, Illinois
“Enjoyed our stay - lovely location, good service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

The resort is a nice place overall.

Pool is wonderful - very big and they had pool noodles and other pool things there for the kids to play with. The pool was a nice temperature; not cold but average warm where you just needed a minute or two to get used to it. Hot tub is on the smaller size but didn't hinder us at all.

Outside grounds are absolutely gorgeous - love the beach and rock hunting and trail walking.

Some reviews said that the elevator was slow... not so much. If that's a problem then just use the stairs right next to the elevator. The hotel is only 3 levels - it can be walked as long as you're able.

Food was average. There was one occasion where the chicken I had and my daughter had was over cooked so it was dry. Not a big deal. Service on one night was slow but I believe the waitress we had was a new girl. The second night we had Marcos and he was very accommodating and 'on his toes' to our needs and our young daughters; he was very personable.

My only disappointment were the condition of the rooms (we had 2 adjoining rooms). Carpet had many obvious stains on them and two good missing pieces of carpet by the threshold of the entry door, one of the locks were missing on the bathroom door so that door didn't lock and someone filled it in with kleenex or toilet paper which was pressed into the hole where the lock was, and one of the entry doors was missing the bottom panel to it at one time and the way they seemed to fix it was putting a piece of MDF to fill where the original panel was. There were a few other items like the phone was missing something minor and a lamp that didn't work.

However, I did also notice the good - the rooms were very clean, the bathroom floors seemed that they were recently renovated, the beds were comfy, the T.V.'s were nice (flat screen), good/average size rooms and the people that worked there were very friendly. (Hello Jason at the front desk!)

I didn't complain to management about any of the issues we had. I figured it was what it was. After all, we were on a mini vacation and I wanted to keep the positive. None of the issues we experienced were a hindrance and sometimes you have to out weigh the good with the not so good. We all had a nice time and will visit again providing the price is not too costly.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Geurts, General Manager at Illinois Beach Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear GN267, Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I apologize that your stay was not 100% to your satisfaction. Your review will help us make the necessary improvements to make your next visit exceptional. We hope that you will consider staying with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Janesville,Wi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

My hubby and I just stayed here the last two days. I bought a LivingSocial deal that included 2 $20 dinner certificates and a free breakfast for two one morning,PLUS champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries. We live about 1.5 hours away so it was perfect for a get-away without being too far. The hotel is kind of your average hotel, same for the room. The pool is BIG! I loved the on-site restaurant plus our wait staff was great, with one guy being outstanding. For both dinners we were the only ones in the restaurant. The pool had 3 other people in it. Very easy check-in and check-out. It was a chilly April weekend so we couldn't go on the beach but still had a beautiful view of Lake Michigan :) Total spent was $168 for both nights and all that food I previously mentioned. It was totally worth it and we will be returning.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear bryantsmommy07, Thank you for sharing your kinds comments about your recent stay. We appreciate you sharing your great experience with us on TripAdvisor! We look forward to being a part of your future stays here.
Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

we have never been let down with our stay. the staff is very helpful, the food is GREAT and the rooms are ok. the location is the best. only once have we had bad weather and thats not on IBR. fast check-in, friendly front desk and easy check-out. we will be back in 2014

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review of the Illinois Beach and Conference Center . We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back shortly!
Griffith, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We have twice purchased Living Social vouchers for the Illinois Beach Resort. The deal includes breakfast and dinner, as well as chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne. It is a nice getaway in a lovely location. The staff is friendly and helpful and there are many amenities that make it a good time for the family: a huge pool, game room, and health club on site. The rooms feel a little old but they are clean and well kept. Perhaps the only issue is that the walls are somewhat thin. We stayed next to woman who make a nightly phone call. We could not only detect her Wisconsin accent, we also came to know more about her than we cared. However, we always have a good and relaxing time here and will be back.

Room Tip: Try to face the lake - very pretty.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
We appreciate your feedback and hope we have you with us again in the future as we continue improvement on the property.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

I struggle to give this a fair rating so I'm just going to list pros and cons.

Pros
-The staff is funny, kind and really fantastic!
-The hotel is clean.
-Loved the location, right on Lake Michigan with a drive through the state beach park to get to the hotel which in march makes it feel secluded and private. Very nice.
- Room is quite large with a big picture window overlooking the lake.
-Pool is quite large. I enjoyed it.

Cons
-The hotel needs work. LOTS of work. I don't usually mind this so much when a place is clean and priced right but things literally are falling off in my hands!
- I can hear every single thing in the room next to me. Conversations, coughing, TV, opening a bag... EVERYTHING!!!!! I've never actually stayed anywhere the walls were this thin.
-This is supposed to be a conference center so it did not occur to me there may not be a desk in the room. There isn't. I'm here to get work done and have to make due with a tiny table.
-It was extremely difficult for me to find a plug in the room for my cell and computer. The only one I could get to was across the room from the table, again a problem if you are a business traveler.
-My allergies went crazy. Usually at hotels I get a break from my allergies (animals, dust, mold) but I woke up here with swollen eyes and completely congested. I couldn't figure out why.

Overall I won't stay again. Even though it is inexpensive, I think for the condition of the place it is overpriced and the nice location doesn't make up for it. In my opinion the hotel needs a major remodel to stay in business. I don't mind hotels that need a little TLC because usually the price matches the condition but there comes a point when it passes needing a little TLC and it needs major work.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Geurts, General Manager at Illinois Beach Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear Melanie M,

Thank you for your feedback Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure that all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Your review will help us make the necessary improvements to make your next visit exceptional. The pool and meeting rooms have been renovated last year. Currently we're renovating the lobby, restaurant and bar and the sleeping rooms will be next .We hope that you will consider staying with us again.

Travelers are raving about these Zion hotels

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We've been here for brunches, and decided to make a weekend get-away at the resort to enjoy the Lake Michigan shore in the winter. Definitely not rustic in outward appearance since it was built in the 1960s or 1970s, but the lobby is warm and welcoming with flagstone floors and comfortable furnishings. Check-in was quick with a friendly clerk who handed us our coffee supply for the next two days along with a welcoming smile. If you don't have a lot of bags, use the stairs as the elevator is extremely slow. We used the stairs when we moved without our bags. Our room was comfortable with a sliver of a view of the lake, and if you positioned a chair just right, you only saw the lake and not the roof of the hotel. We hadn't booked a lake view, so we were happy with the view we had. Our bed was comfortable and the walls thick, so we didn't hear our neighbors. Signs of wear and tear were abundant in the room with the stained carpet, old bathroom, peeling wallpaper and nicks and chips in the furniture. Our room was large enough to accommodate a sofa or more chairs, but none were available, so the only sitting area was a table and chair set or the bed. This was disappointing as we have been at other state lodges and experienced better furnishings, so if you're expecting luxury, you won't have it. Another down side was housekeeping. Our room wasn't cleaned until after we called, which was near 3 p.m., and when housekeeping arrived, they didn't replace the coffee cups or plastic cups, and they left the used coffee container in the coffee maker. When we contacted the front desk about getting our room cleaned, the man politely explained that the hotel had been full the night before, so it was taking a while to clean the rooms. He was very professional. When we checked out the front desk clerk was also very nice. However despite this, the room was clean and comfortable, and you can't beat the location for shore exploring. We ate at the restaurant for Friday night, which specializes in the fish fry. My lake perch was yummy but my husband thought his walleye was dry. The waitress was wonderful, and I have to say the cocktails she brought from the bar were delicious. Breakfast was less efficient, but the breakfast a good value. All in all, we would return, but we would hope that some furniture and decorating upgrades will occur in the near future.

Room Tip: Splurge for a full lake view to really appreciate the beauty of the lake.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear badger2773,

Thank you for sharing your kinds comments about your recent stay. We appreciate you sharing your great experience with us on TripAdvisor! Feedback like this can make the Illinois Beach Resort and Conference Center only stronger.
Burr Ridge, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

When I walked into the lobby of this resort, I was impressed. The architecture alone was impressive, and then there is the view. I loved it. The restaurant is located where there is a beautiful view of the lake and a walk on the beach is inviting all of the time. The only down side is that much of the state park surrounding the resort has been neglected and some areas closed.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Deeda C,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at our property. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. Again, Thank you very much and hope to see you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zion
The Inn at Market Square
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Zion
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
BEST WESTERN Harborside Inn & Kenosha Conference Center
Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center
Harbourwalk Hotel Racine

Been to Illinois Beach Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!