“Fun mini-vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Zion
Griffith, Indiana
“Fun mini-vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We have twice purchased Living Social vouchers for the Illinois Beach Resort. The deal includes breakfast and dinner, as well as chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne. It is a nice getaway in a lovely location. The staff is friendly and helpful and there are many amenities that make it a good time for the family: a huge pool, game room, and health club on site. The rooms feel a little old but they are clean and well kept. Perhaps the only issue is that the walls are somewhat thin. We stayed next to woman who make a nightly phone call. We could not only detect her Wisconsin accent, we also came to know more about her than we cared. However, we always have a good and relaxing time here and will be back.

Room Tip: Try to face the lake - very pretty.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Geurts, General Manager at Illinois Beach Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
We appreciate your feedback and hope we have you with us again in the future as we continue improvement on the property.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

I struggle to give this a fair rating so I'm just going to list pros and cons.

Pros
-The staff is funny, kind and really fantastic!
-The hotel is clean.
-Loved the location, right on Lake Michigan with a drive through the state beach park to get to the hotel which in march makes it feel secluded and private. Very nice.
- Room is quite large with a big picture window overlooking the lake.
-Pool is quite large. I enjoyed it.

Cons
-The hotel needs work. LOTS of work. I don't usually mind this so much when a place is clean and priced right but things literally are falling off in my hands!
- I can hear every single thing in the room next to me. Conversations, coughing, TV, opening a bag... EVERYTHING!!!!! I've never actually stayed anywhere the walls were this thin.
-This is supposed to be a conference center so it did not occur to me there may not be a desk in the room. There isn't. I'm here to get work done and have to make due with a tiny table.
-It was extremely difficult for me to find a plug in the room for my cell and computer. The only one I could get to was across the room from the table, again a problem if you are a business traveler.
-My allergies went crazy. Usually at hotels I get a break from my allergies (animals, dust, mold) but I woke up here with swollen eyes and completely congested. I couldn't figure out why.

Overall I won't stay again. Even though it is inexpensive, I think for the condition of the place it is overpriced and the nice location doesn't make up for it. In my opinion the hotel needs a major remodel to stay in business. I don't mind hotels that need a little TLC because usually the price matches the condition but there comes a point when it passes needing a little TLC and it needs major work.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Geurts, General Manager at Illinois Beach Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear Melanie M,

Thank you for your feedback Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure that all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Your review will help us make the necessary improvements to make your next visit exceptional. The pool and meeting rooms have been renovated last year. Currently we're renovating the lobby, restaurant and bar and the sleeping rooms will be next .We hope that you will consider staying with us again.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We've been here for brunches, and decided to make a weekend get-away at the resort to enjoy the Lake Michigan shore in the winter. Definitely not rustic in outward appearance since it was built in the 1960s or 1970s, but the lobby is warm and welcoming with flagstone floors and comfortable furnishings. Check-in was quick with a friendly clerk who handed us our coffee supply for the next two days along with a welcoming smile. If you don't have a lot of bags, use the stairs as the elevator is extremely slow. We used the stairs when we moved without our bags. Our room was comfortable with a sliver of a view of the lake, and if you positioned a chair just right, you only saw the lake and not the roof of the hotel. We hadn't booked a lake view, so we were happy with the view we had. Our bed was comfortable and the walls thick, so we didn't hear our neighbors. Signs of wear and tear were abundant in the room with the stained carpet, old bathroom, peeling wallpaper and nicks and chips in the furniture. Our room was large enough to accommodate a sofa or more chairs, but none were available, so the only sitting area was a table and chair set or the bed. This was disappointing as we have been at other state lodges and experienced better furnishings, so if you're expecting luxury, you won't have it. Another down side was housekeeping. Our room wasn't cleaned until after we called, which was near 3 p.m., and when housekeeping arrived, they didn't replace the coffee cups or plastic cups, and they left the used coffee container in the coffee maker. When we contacted the front desk about getting our room cleaned, the man politely explained that the hotel had been full the night before, so it was taking a while to clean the rooms. He was very professional. When we checked out the front desk clerk was also very nice. However despite this, the room was clean and comfortable, and you can't beat the location for shore exploring. We ate at the restaurant for Friday night, which specializes in the fish fry. My lake perch was yummy but my husband thought his walleye was dry. The waitress was wonderful, and I have to say the cocktails she brought from the bar were delicious. Breakfast was less efficient, but the breakfast a good value. All in all, we would return, but we would hope that some furniture and decorating upgrades will occur in the near future.

Room Tip: Splurge for a full lake view to really appreciate the beauty of the lake.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear badger2773,

Thank you for sharing your kinds comments about your recent stay. We appreciate you sharing your great experience with us on TripAdvisor! Feedback like this can make the Illinois Beach Resort and Conference Center only stronger.
Burr Ridge, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

When I walked into the lobby of this resort, I was impressed. The architecture alone was impressive, and then there is the view. I loved it. The restaurant is located where there is a beautiful view of the lake and a walk on the beach is inviting all of the time. The only down side is that much of the state park surrounding the resort has been neglected and some areas closed.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Deeda C,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at our property. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. Again, Thank you very much and hope to see you soon.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

What a great evening we had. The staff was helpful the rooms were clean and the food was delicious. We have never been to this hotel before but i guarantee i will go back. We are looking forward to making some memories there this summer. What a hidden treasure!

Room Tip: The view of the lake was beautiful!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Geurts, General Manager at Illinois Beach Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Diane S., Happy New Year! Thank you for ringing in the New Year with our crew! We enjoyed creating a memorable experience and hope to begin a new tradition. Again, thank you very much for your kind review and hope to see you soon.
McHenry, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Once we turned onto the road leading to the hotel we knew we were in for a treat. The long, winding road, through the woods and wetlands, that leads to the hotel is an adventure on it's own. Watch for the wildlife!
Upon entering the hotel, we were greeted by friendly and knowledge staff. knowledgeable about the taxi services in the area and local restaurants... Although this info wasn't needed as we decided to stay in after we looked over the menu at the onsite restaurant. I had the pepper crusted filet, very tender, juicy and cooked perfectly. My fiancé had the fish fry...they had many fish species options to choose from. Again, it was cooked perfectly, not too greasy. Yummm!
We had a 2 room suite, which included a living room, small dining table, fridge, microwave and a separate bedroom. Cozy, clean and What a VIEW! Gorgeous views of the lakefront. A must to wake up early and watch the sunrise!
I can't wait to go back this winter. It's so close to home, it's an easy weekend get-a-way. We will defiantly bring our bicycles this summer to take advantage of the bike trails running through the park.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Stephanie C,

What else is there to say except, thank you, thank you, and thank you! Our team could not have found more joy in taking care of you and your family. It is people like you that make our positions so rewarding.
Plainfield,Il
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for the weekend and was very happy with my stay. I cannot stress enough how beautiful the views are overlooking the lake. We went during the winter so of of course we didn't take advantage of the lake but we'll definitely come back during the summer.
I love the staff: Jason, Marcos, Joey, Violeta and all the others whose names I didn't get. Oh let me just say, the food in the restaurant is absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!
The indoor pool area is ver nice also. Like the other reviews, I will say the resort can use some updating in the rooms and game room area, but other than that it's a very nice place to stay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear fromsuntowind,

Thank you so very much for your fabulous review. Our team here is truly passionate about service and it shows. We all work very hard to provide the best possible experience for all of our guests. We sincerely appreciate your business and look forward to having you as our guest again.

Been to Illinois Beach Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!