“Excellent hotel find” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Market Square

You added The Inn at Market Square to your Saves list
The Inn at Market Square
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2723 Sheridan Road, Zion, IL 60099 (Formerly BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn & Suites at Market Square)   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Zion
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Calgary, Alberta
“Excellent hotel find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

We picked this hotel for the location close to the outlet mall for shopping. The room was very clean, nicely decorated, and the bed was very comfortable. The shower was very nice as were the toiletry items available for us. There wasn't a restaurant onsite but the casual restaurant next door cooked up one of three choices hot breakfast no charge with coupon from front desk that was basic but good. The staff was very friendly and helped us with directions, restaurant recommondations incuding printing out maps with directions. We dined at Ray Radigans about 5 to 10 min. awayby car. The food was excellent, had an interesting history and I look forward to going back again. There was a nice coffee shop across the street that had bakery items and also served sandwiches, soups and salads.
I would not hesitate to to return to this hotel and only gave it 4 stars since there wasn't a restaurant onsite yet, it's under constructions.

Room Tip: I would think all would be fine. The street side had little traffic and the back that I was on look...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

Oh how I know this is sour grapes at this point, however I feel the need to share my subpar experience with this location. I travel a lot, and am a rational individual but when a hotel shows complete disrespect at their front desk to a customer it is wholly unexceptable. Let me preface this by saying that I traveled to the middle of nowhere to console a friend over dinner who had just lost someone near and dear to them. After dinner, I decided to forgo the trek back to Chicago and instead opted for a room at the best western "plus" in Zion, IL. When I arrived I did not have a reservation though confirmed in advance via phone that rooms were available. Upon arrival I noticed a discrepancy in rate that I looked up on bestwestern.com. I requested that the rate be honored and I was notified that it was a "mistake". After letting the front desk know that the rate was via bestwestern.com the woman behind the desk said that I would have to book online or the rate posted on bestwestern.com would not be honored. First, the fact that I had to book online when I was present at the hotel itself was absolutely bonkers. Then upon booking via my phone the front desk demanded that I show my aaa/AARP credentials. This WAS NOT a special aaa/AARP rate and I have the screenshots to prove this. She then asked me where the rate was and I let her know it was on the ACTUAL bestwestern website. She could not find the rate and I showed her the confirmation on my phone And the page with the actual rate on bestwestern.com. THEN where any person with one iota of common sense would honor the rate for a tired customer in the middle of nowhere who just wanted to goto sleep who showed the rate and confirmation page that did not mention aaa/AARP I was then asked to show how I got the rate on the hotel lobby computer. Are you SERIOUS?! Upon jumping through hoops for 20 minutes to justify the rates that were clearly on bestwestern.com and legitimate I thought that any person in their right mind would not prompt me a fourth time. To top it all off, the most insulting thing is that when I was trying to show her the way I booked during an arduous and utterly unacceptable situation the woman said to me "i can smell alcohol on your breath". This made me so IRATE that she was implying I was intoxicated when I did every ridiculous step requested of me JUST to give this company my money! For the record, over dinner I consumed two pints of beer at dinner before deciding to settle down for the night in best western. I was UNDER NO CERTAIN terms intoxicated or even moderately buzzed, and the last time I checked moderate consumption of adult beverages is by no means prohibited in the united states. So the fact that I showed that the corporate website proved my rate was valid, regardless of an internal discrepancy, and the fact that I had to book online when a front desk agent was present, that I was told the rate was still not valid, that I was asked to waste my time proving my innocence on the computer under a watchful eye, and then you make an insulting statement implying that I was at fault and also DRUNK had me seeing red. I did not yell or scream but she kept saying that I was yelling at her when we were just having a rational discourse on something that should not have even happened. She cancelled my reservation and asked me to leave stranding me in the middle of nowhere on a Saturday night with no options. Complete inept staff severely lacking in customer service skills and insulting my character with implying my sobriety was compromised will not ever be forgotten. I will be sending my screenshots of my rate booked as a non aaa/AARP rate on the bestwetern.com corporate website along with a scanned receipt showing a total of two beers on my dinner bill to headquarters along with sharing that I will NEVER pass the threshold of a best western hotel bc my dollars are more valuable elsewhere and I should not have to jump through hoops in a four stage fiasco topped off by an insanely inappropriate insult by a mealy mouthed imbecile.

• Stayed August 2011
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

We had a short but great stay at this hotel. It was very clean and the service was great. The bathroom was very clean and had a awesome shower head with great water pressure. My husband loved the fact that it was high so that it was above his head.
We did get free breakfast vouchers for the restaurant next-door to the hotel that was an added bonus as well as the free wi-fi!
The negative thing about it was that the A/C was a bit loud and when we turned on the fan in the bathroom the room got really hot. Maybe a heater attached to the fan?
We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Racine, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Our company held an award dinner for 170 people at the new Best Western Plus Inn & Suites at Market Square in Zion and it was amazing! The staff were very pleasant and accommodating and the room was beautiful. We would definitely hold another event there in the future.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

The wonderful staff of this Best Western stepped in and literally saved my daughter's wedding day when our original place of stay was damaged by a tornado the night before guests arrived. The staff worked with the resort we were to be staying to provide everyone of our guests lodging. Before we even arrived they had arranged for our flowers to be stored in a neighboring restaurants cooler. They worked with us to get a room ready for the rehearsal dinner that night and had some suggestions for catering. They also took the bride to be and showed her the room they would provide for her bridesmaids to get makeup and hair done the next day. Oh, I can't forget the wonderful homemade quiche for complimentary breakfast along with other goodies. Needless to say we were blessed to run into such kind and compassionate people who made it their goal to make sure the bride had a perfect wedding day. Thanks to the staff and their beautiful hotel she did. I strongly recommend the beautiful facility and wonderful thoughtful staff.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
MarketHost, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn at Market Square, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Thank you so much for your kind words. We truly enjoyed being able to make your daughter's wedding day special. Best wishes!
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

This was the worst stay I have ever had. For a new hotel it was mess. I could swear my sheets were never changed from the last person who stayed in that room. When I complained I was told housekeeping would show in a few minutes, it took over 3 hours and I was made to feel like it was my fault. Then the air conditioner was not working properly and I was told the maintenance crew was gone for the evening. I asked about switching rooms but was told they were all booked which seemed funny because the place was almost empty. The front desk person hinted that if I was interested in a better room she could arrange it for a small fee. That was the last straw, I left the next day and checked into a hotel in Gurnee. A little further from where I needed to be but much better service and out of that area. Zion is not the safest town in that area. My advice is to stay away. Terrible service,, dirty, and a manager that even after all the issues still refused to speak to me.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
I am so sorry to hear that your stay with us was anything less than exceptional. As you said, we had just opened when you stayed with us and were still working out all of the wrinkles. I apologize that you felt unsatisfied and would love for you to come back and stay with us again now that we have had a chance to settle in. We greatly appreciate every guest and strive to make their stay as comfortable as possible. Please consider us again when you come back to Zion.
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

I stayed here just to get away from the city for a night. The hotel is brand new, and some of the amenities are not yet completed, such as the restaurant. So far, what's ready is great. I was greeted at the front desk an hour before scheduled check-in time, and the staff was extremely cordial and professional. I was promptly checked in without difficulty, though I'd made the reservation only hours before by internet. The room was immaculate, and I can't think of any possible complaint. There was free wireless internet, as advertised, and there was no trouble logging in and surfing. Since I was on foot (I came in from the nearby Metra station), my dining options were limited by range. There was a really good family restaurant just across the parking lot (don't be fooled by the rough outside appearance; the food was good, the staff homey and friendly, and the environment comfortable and clean). There was also a good-looking bistro across the street that closed for a private party before I was ready for dinner, but I'll try it next time, perhaps.
Overall, an excellent hotel experience, especially for a spur-of-the-moment, pulled-from-a-hat choice. I'll be revisiting this hotel, probably within a couple of months, and I'm guessing with a few more weeks it will be off and running very well.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, request away from the street.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Inn at Market Square? Share your experiences!