“Lovely, intimate concert” 4 of 5 stars

Chicago, Illinois
21 attraction reviews
“Lovely, intimate concert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I've wanted for more than 20 years to attend a Mozart Festival concert, and this year I finally made it. The Woodstock Opera House is a grand old (1889) building and an intimate concert venue. I can't imagine there's a bad seat in the house. My actual seat was quite uncomfortable because of a steel bar across the back of the cushion. There seemed to be no way my tailbone could avoid this steel bar. This was minor in the grand scheme of things because everything else was so delightful. The ushers were friendly, the orchestra accomplished, featured musicians amazing. We were close enough to see the expressions on the animated conductor's face, and I think probably every patron could be part of the action from any seat on the main floor or balcony. Parking was easy, too. Would love to attend more concerts here.

Visited July 2013

Round Lake, Illinois
17 attraction reviews
“A bit of History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Woodstock it self is filled with history Al Capp the writer of Dick Tracy was from there there was many shoes put on at the theater and are still going on . The Woodstock Square is filled with many interesting sights . Enjoy the entire town of Woodstock.

Visited February 2013
Gladwyne, Pennsylvania
190 attraction reviews
“Site of the filming of Bill Murray's Groundhog Day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Having been to the Groundhog Day celebration in Punxsutawney, Pa I was at first surprised when I found out the Bill Murray movie wasn't filmed there. I promised that if I was ever in the area of Woodstock Il, I would make sure to check it out. It so happens I was in the Chicago area last week and made the trek to Woodstock. It's a funny feeling to be standing in the same spot as characters in one of my favorite movies. The Woodstock website has a nice walking tour that shows exactly where certain scenes were filmed. There are also plaques on some of the sites letting you know you're at the correct location. I'm planning now to rent the movie again so I can pick out the places I was just at like the Opera House that played the Pennsylvania Hotel where Bill Murray jumped from and where his crew was staying. You'll see Ned's corner,the movie theater, the old man's alley, the fake gobbler's knob which is actually Woodstock Square, and the spot in front of the restaurant, called the Tip Top Cafe in the movie, where Bill steps into the puddle. I was happy to have made the visit. I hope Woodstock has a brighter future.

Visited March 2013
Woodstock, Illinois, United States
“Farmers Market on the square”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This place is great if you love victorian mansions and I do. I grew up in a very beautiful gray stone in the kenwood area of chicago, Il. The oprea house has all tthe orginal decor and some seats on display form when it was first built. Woodstock has a lot of nestalgia for the 19th centry if you enjoy this kind of histry please drive up about 70 miles northwest fo Chicago.

Visited September 2012
Illinois
12 attraction reviews
“Wonderful Place to See a Musical”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

The Woodstock Opera House is a historical landmark building on the Woodstock Square. It was built in 1889. It has been modernized with air conditioning, sound systems, etc., but it still retains its charm. If you have seen the movie Groundhog Day you may recognize this building as the one that Bill Murray kept throwing himself off of. The Opera House hosts a variety of amateur and professional events every year. I have been there many times, most recently to see a musical "Crazy for You". I sat in the first row of the balcony in the middle section which is a great place to sit for a very good view of the stage. The balcony, however, is not a good place for anyone who has trouble climbing stairs because you do have to use stairs to get there. The elevator does not go up to the balcony level. The ground floor of the Opera House often has photography or artwork displayed and prior to Christmas they have a room full of decorated Christmas trees that are fun to see. I definitely recommend the Opera House for any activity or event one is interested in attending at this facility.

Visited October 2012