“An Odd Experience, Will Not Return” 3 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago Wood Dale - Elk Grove

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago Wood Dale - Elk Grove to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago Wood Dale - Elk Grove
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 N. Mittel Boulevard, Wood Dale, IL 60191 (Formerly Wyndham Garden)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Top Golf Package
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wood Dale
Iowa
“An Odd Experience, Will Not Return”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

I have had mixed experiences at Doubletree...some are new, comfortable facilities in good locations. Others are older properties, rebranded from something else formerly, with various upgrades and fixes to make it acceptable as a Doubletree. This is in the later category. The facility is older, and formerly was a different chain (Wyndham?). Check in was fine, with staff being nice and helpful. It was a long walk to our room, as the hotel is in a U shape with only one elevator, so we walked the complete U to get to our room. Oddly, the interior of the room was nicer than the lobby and common areas...typical Doubletree stuff (which is decent business hotel fare). But, everything looked tired despite the upgrades. It is obvious when decent stuff has been retrofitted to a bad original hotel...it just lacked the sharpness of a nice, new facility.

The biggest problem with our stay was the clientele. We got a good rate on our stay, which is what motivated us to come prior to a mid morning flight at O'Hare the next day. Apparently, the good rate encouraged a lot of other people to come, ready to party on the weekend. About 10pm a party kicked off next door, with inconceivable rudeness....shouting in the hallways, doors slamming over and over as people shuffled between rooms, and music. I called staff at 11pm, but only 1 person was working the desk and couldn't come up. I requested around midnight to switch rooms, which was granted. We got about 5 hours of poor quality sleep in our next room, whose AC/fan unit made a loud rattling all night.

I have mixed feelings, because the hotel can't be blamed for knucklehead quests, but a higher end facility would have put an end to it sooner. They have tried to make an old hotel decent, but it is still old. The good and friendly staff have an uphill battle at this property.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
APatenaude, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago Wood Dale - Elk Grove, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
nwh7928-

Thank you for taking the time to respond regarding your recent stay with us... I am happy to tell you we are in the planning stages of a large renovation which will take place later this year... Once plans for the renovation are complete, I'd be more than happy to share them with you, if you'd like. Thanks for staying with us... I hope you'll come back and experience our new look after the renovation.

Adam Patenaude

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Franklin, WI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Our basketball team was booked into this hotel by tournament organizers,we were not here by choice. Upon check in the we learned that 4 people had been put in a room with one king bed and a pull out love seat. We then found a roll away bed for the 4th person. The room was warm and there did not appear to be any air coming out of the vents. Called down to the desk and was told they would send someone up. They never did. Called back down and was told that they would send a fan up. They never did. Spent 3 days calling down to the desk and being told that they would send up a fan and never saw a fan or a repairman. Front desk basically blew us off. They never offered to move us to a new room. The hotel was full but there we people checking in and out while we were there. To top it off our in our coaches room if the air conditioning was on there was a leak in the bathroom which flooded the floor. She reported this to the front desk and they ignored this also. So the bathroom stayed flooded and they kept sending up more towel to to soak it up.

It is apparent that this hotel has some major problems with the building itself. However, for the staff and manager to ignore these problems and down right lie about what they will do, is even a bigger concern. If we had had the ability to change hotels we would have. Do not stay here unless you like to sweat.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
jimcyn-

I really appreciate your taking the time to share your disappointment with your recent stay. I want to personally apologize that the temperature control system interfered with your comfort.

We want our guests to have the best stay possible where everything is in perfect working order. I am sorry if that was not the case during your stay. I am happy to report that just this week I placed an order for $150,000 worth up upgrades to our current HVAC system.

Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts. We value you as a guest, and I do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns! Please stay with us again soon so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Hlohovec, Slovakia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel for a long weekend. It is not far from the airport, but it is a long way to downtown Chicago.
The hotel room was clean, and the bed was very comfortable. The only thing I didn’t like was that the toilet seat really needed to be replaced.
The hotel pool and hot tub was a big plus.
I would recommend this hotel to someone on a business trip in the nearby industrial park, but probably I would stay away from it if you want to stay here and visit downtown Chicago.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
TomasBillik-

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience! I will have my Engineering team look at the toilet seat in the room you stayed in. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. I know we aren't in the heart of downtown, but we do offer a cheaper alternative for those who want to be within driving distance of the city, without paying downtown rates. Thanks again for your business!

Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

We had an emergency at our house that caused us to seek a hotel in the area for the weekend as we couldn't stay home. I booked this room and then called with a couple questions. The woman who answered the phone was extremely rude and acted like I was bothering her with my questions.

The people at check in were very nice and checked us in quickly. We had a little suite with a sitting room and bedroom seperated by a small hallway. The room was clean. The shower was old and somewhat dingy. The sliding glass door to the balcony was very hard to open and close.

To use the internet is $10 a day. Breakfast is not free. The TVs have a lock on them so you can not plug in your own DVD player. We were told this is because you can buy movies from some service they provide. Which we were planning to do but the cheapest movie we could find was $15.99! Much more expensive than the movie we had brought from home. Also no fridge in the room. You can get one but it costs a lot of money.

The pool was nice and so was the hot tub. The chlorine level was very high though. The smell burned our noses and made our eyes water just being in the room. Also be sure not to go underwater and open your eyes in the hot tub. I'm not really sure why you would do this but a man there did and he had to leave the pool because he couldn't even open his eyes after.

This was an average hotel that could use some updating. We were also upset that we were expected to pay more for each little thing. We have to stay in a hotel until the house is fixed but we moved to a different one so we could have all our amenities.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
APatenaude, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago Wood Dale - Elk Grove, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
antsgrl-

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us! I'm glad we could provide a place for you to stay during the emergency at your home... I wanted to let you know that we are planning on doing a renovation later in the year to address some of your concerns; we are all excited to start that process! I apologize for the way you were treated on the phone... I will certainly follow up with my staff regarding this, as it is unacceptable. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me should you ever need accommodations again in the future.

Highland Lake County, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Went here last year and it was great. Had nothing but problems this time. Gave me a handicapped room with a shower for wheelchairs, I am close to six foot tall and the shower head was three foot high. Everytime I asked staff for help they seem like they could care less. I asked to switch and without even looking the lady at the front desk was no were booked. Took them two days to get a fridge in my room and when I asked about getting one the first time it seemed like a huge deal (they charge extra BTW). When it still wasn't there the first day I had to call to ask them again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
cereal7-

Thank you for takingthe time to review our hotel! As the new GM of the property, I greatly appreciate the feedback... I will certainly follow-up with my front desk staff regarding their poor interaction with you, as that is unacceptable. I also wanted to let you know I think you bring up a good point regarding fridges in the rooms. I am going to push for them to be added to all rooms in our upcoming renovation later this year!

San Ramon, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel literally dozens of times in the last 3 years. My company used to have a corporate rate here until this year. I let the rate expire because the rooms, carpet, and service, need a major overhaul. Not the cleanest experience anymore. They need to keep up with their competition.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

I stayed here 3-nights during a vacation to Chicago. A nice hotel, clean rooms, but beds were very soft. There is a $10/day charge for internet in the room but free internet in the hotel lobby/business center. Swimming pool/spa is large and the fitness center has nice cardio machines but not much for weights.

The hotel is close to several golf courses and Top Golf. We wanted to try the Top Golf game but just didn't find the time. Overall a nice hotel and enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago Wood Dale - Elk Grove? Share your experiences!