“It is what it is” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Wilmington
gainesville,ga
“It is what it is”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

If you're looking for luxury and pampering you are coming to the wrong place. We had 10 of us, got 3 rooms for a week of visiting family, fishing and going up to Chicago for about $800-$900.
Rooms were pretty clean but very basic. We got clean towels everyday.
Not a place to hang out at all day but good for a home base to shower, sleep and chill a little bit.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

13 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

Lights weren't working in center of room so I turned tv on to see if there was power and it caught on fire. They moved us to the adjoining room quickly and asked me to come get new keys instead of bringing it to our room. Dirty tub with spider in it. Sulfur water.

• Stayed September 2012
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

First, the check-in desk is in the gas station right next door, with "smoking" accessories right there at the desk. Second, the room had not been thoroughly cleaned - there was leftover chicken in the refrigerator, a bar of soap in the shower, etc. Third, the exterior of the hotel is as best a mess - broken lawnmower, trash, and even a minivan with four flat tires! BTW, I have NO idea what is meant by "complimentary breakfast". Nothing offered to me!

Knights Inn should pull this hotel from the chain ASAP.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012 via mobile

Stay away from this place!!!! Employees treat you with their a... The place is a hole... I will always close my eyes when I pass by! Terrible experience

• Stayed March 2012
Wilmington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

I will say that based on previous reviews, I booked a different hotel than this one. My colleague, whom I roomed with, booked this one in case it was better than the reviews. He was upfront about the reviews when booking the room, and was told that they are remodeling and working to change their image. From what I saw first-hand, they're doing pretty well - good enough that we switched to this hotel which was closer to where we were working. We were able to check the room out prior to taking it, and I suggest others do the same to make sure you're getting what you want.

One thing that was mentioned before is the smell of the hallway and entrance. It's still there - kind of musty, and the carpet runner is stained and could stand to be changed. But the room we had was nice - rather large with 2 queen beds. The bathroom is a little cramped, but that's not too bad. The shower was a little weak pressure-wise, but the hot water was definitely HOT! We had a small fridge sitting on a luggage bench along with a microwave, older TV (CRT), chest of drawers and an armoire (no coffee maker).

The good: Again, the rooms are sizable. At no time did we see any bugs, either. The beds, for the most part, were comfortable. Most of the other occupants of the hotel seemed to be there for the same purpose me and my colleague were there for, so it wasn't rowdy or too noisy. It's right off the highway, so finding it isn't a problem. The convenience store is open 24 hours, so if you needed to get a snack or something, you can get it at any time without having to drive someplace.

The bad: The TV has limited channels (about 20 maybe?). The WiFi is sketchy at best. I found myself having to disconnect/reconnect at times, sometimes 5 or more times just to get a solid connection, and then it might last an hour, sometimes 3 hours, sometimes 10 minutes. A couple of times we did not have an adequate amount of towels (2 people in the room and one bath towel?) nor was there a bath mat. I had to make a trip to the desk (which is located in the convenience store on the property) to have someone get me towels and a mat. And when we checked in and tried negotiating about an extended stay (30 days), it was like pulling teeth because the guy we were dealing with spoke broken English at best, and the lady we were dealing with wouldn't stay still long enough for us to talk to her and would not let us get a word in edgewise.

Also, the location is a little out of the way. Unless you want to eat at the restaurant on the property (which I never ate at myself, so I can't speak to that), you have to drive 15-30 minutes for food. Joliet is about 30 minutes away, and you'll have no problem finding something to your liking. If fast food is all you want, there's a Dairy Queen at a gas station 2 exits south, and a McDonald's at a gas station 4 exits north. At that same exit, there's a Subway that's open 24 hours. For more "sit down" type food, though, Joliet is probably the closest bet.

For the price we paid and based upon the previous reviews, my "average" certainly is warranted. Again, don't go here expecting a "Hilton" type experience, but then again, compared to previous reviews, this was an excellent stay and worth the flyer.

One thing I will say is that if given the opportunity to stay here again, I would. Those of you who had bad experiences previously might want to book this hotel and maybe another "just in case".

Room Tip: Double rooms (2 queens) are downstairs. King beds are upstairs. Both offer smoking rooms. There i...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Brown
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Bring your cleaning supplies. The staff seem helpful but had a time getting requests done. Took me three time to the desk after check in to get things lined out. The lobby wasn't attached to where the rooms were. We recleaned every surface that we could without washing the linens ourselves. We stayed two nights because we had race tickets for the weekend. They didn't make the beds or vacum and only left two towels when there were four people in the room. Breakfast was only a coupon to a neighboring diner and they only gave out one and we had two nights. I have stayed in worse but I do not need to repeat this experience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
roseville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

We did not stay here.We did purchase a room. When entering the hall it smelled and looked neglected . Upon entering our room we decided we would check it out before bringing in our stuff. We discovered bugs (baby ones) not sure if they were roaches or what..They were all around the sealer strip on the fridge.At least 15 to 20. We looked at each other and headed for the door.When we told the person at the desk he said thats ok we will give another room . No thanks I want my money . He did give us a receipt showing it was taken off the card.

Room Tip: Check for bugs if your going to stay here. Out of 5 different motels we have stayed at this summer 2...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Knights Inn - Wilmington? Share your experiences!