“Nice place to stay but we had money stolen” 1 of 5 stars

Sunrise Resort
72 Nguyen Dinh Chieu, Ham Tien, Phan Thiet, Vietnam   |
Ranked #37 of 45 Hotels in Ham Tien
Switzerland
“Nice place to stay but we had money stolen”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

While we really enjoyed our stay in Sunrise resort we had money go missing from our room.

To highlight the good points - the room and premises were clean, the front desk staff were friendly, the pool was great with nice reclining beds to relax on and the beach was swimmable directly from the hotel. Both beach towels and shower towels were provided in the room as well.

To highlight the bad points - the bed was worn and had 'ribs' that stuck into your back. The shower pulsated in flow and fluctuated between hot and cold. Cleaning staff woke us up to clean the room, and when we returned 10 minutes later to get some things we found them all laying on our bed.

We did however have a serious problem during our stay, and it’s probably best we briefly highlight our case for a fair review:

- Before taking the bus to Mue Né, we withdrew several million VND

- We split the smaller notes of 200,000 and below into my wife’s purse and kept the larger notes in my money belt to pay for future bus, train and accommodation. Since we'd pre-booked everything until Nha Trang, we didn't need access to the money belt so we didn’t open it.

- We stayed three nights at Sunrise resort and unfortunately it was only after we left Mue Né and arrived at Nha Trang that we checked the money belt and discovered that 3,000,000 VND had been stolen.

-The only time we did not wear the money belt or did not have it locked away was during our first morning at Sunrise resort when we went to breakfast. We took our room key with us to breakfast and we were surprised when we returned half an hour later to find that the room had been cleaned while we’d eaten breakfast. Unfortunately, since we’d assumed no one would be entering our room as we had the key our valuables, including the money belt, were visible and sitting on the table. This was the only time we have ever left it unattended.

- We were understandable upset and emailed the manager asking him to please question his staff with the hope the thief would own up. He replied promptly only to query our tardiness in reporting the theft (I agree it was odd that it was a day after we checked out and 3 days after the theft, but we didn't need to access the money belt before then). He stated that his staff had been working there for many years and were trusted.

- In addition, we keep an extremely accurate record on our laptop and smartphone of ALL the money that we spend each day. So we could prove the theft, probably to the police with ease, as we have precise records of what we withdraw and spent as our data is entered after every transaction and has timestamps.

Basically, money went missing from our room and we suspect who the staff who were there during the time frame and had the opportunity. Due to this, and the fact that we didn’t get a clear response about whether the manager actually questioned his cleaning staff, we cannot recommend staying at this resort.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

The staff speak a little english and the hotel have a good location, near some really good restaurant like Hoang restaurant with nice seafood!
The rooms are nice, and clean but I advise you the room at the 1st floor, because the others are around the swimmong pool, if you want more intimacy.
Other point: there is no beach, the hotel is just in front of the sea, but no playa to take rest. If you stay at the hotel I advise you to go at the Mia hotel to enjoy the playa, a great place to take a drink and to take a sunbather!

Room Tip: Choose the room at the 1st floor or near the beach
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We had a lovely time at this resort - the location is ideal (right on the beach) and the pool is great as the beach isn't really sunbathing territory due to the kitesurfers... Lots of bars and restaurants nearby. Very chilled!! The bungalows are spacious with good channels on the TV. Would definitely come back!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Gallen, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

We stayed at the Sunset Beach Resort for two nights. The hotel is located directly on the beach. There is also a quite large and well kept swimming pool. That's great, because the sea was very rough at the time we were there. The room was not very spacious but clean and had a large window facing the garden. A small breakfast was included.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Kapaa, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

We had originally booked a hotel that was a bit too "flash" for us - we are more of the cheap and cheerful types - not the "luxury" type. Sunrise fit the bill for us. We looked at a few other comparative guest houses - there was the $25 a room hotel attached to a bar - that was def a no - go. When we stopped by Sunrise we were shown the three choices of rooms he had available.
$35 will get you a standard room. A bit more gets you the view of the pool and a larger room (double bed and single bed) we literally had to step out of our room and saw the pool - just couldn't see it from our room. or option 3 for about $65 could go for the corner, on the ocean, private balcony room. We opted for the first option. (Our previous room at the other hotel was $55 and we had to walk across the street to get to breakfast, the ocean or pool.
There is a comfortable feel to this hotel. The staff didn't speak a lot of English, but VERY nice, and accommodating. The owner does speak English very well and was around normal business hours so no worries there. He booked our bus trip out and was ready to answer any questions we had.
This hotel offers free breakfast - your choice of a few different options. Breakfast was good - the only thing I would recommend is bringing out the drinks before the breakfast - when all you want is your tea or coffee but it doesn't arrive until the pancakes are made... silly gripe - but little things like that do leave an impression.
I also like the afternoon "tea time break" free tea/coffee and some cookies - a nice touch.
Wifi worked in the room about 80% of the time.
As I mentioned, we stayed in the room right behind the office and you do kind of feel like you are in a fish bowl - one of the walls is completely made of glass so you either have your drapes open or closed - open for all to see, or closed and blocking all the light. Def not a deal breaker for us - but it might be for you.
The pool was lovely, very clean and you look out over the beach/ocean and all the kitesurfers flying around.
As the post below mentions, there isn't much "beach" on Mui Ne - not a big deal for us.
I also can see how not having a "do not disturb" sign can get frustrating (I did come back from a late breakfast to them cleaning the room - I didn't really feel like I had "left" for the day and wasn't ready for it to be cleaned - but it only takes a few minutes and they are out of your hair)
I was impressed by them constantly cleaning the pool, windows, pine needles, etc.
Ordered a mango juice and banana smoothie and they came out warm - very weird... :(
We had no problem with the comfort of beds
The air conditioning worked - a little too well, probably operator error but we could only figure out on or off.
We were very pleased with our stay here. I hope you enjoy it as well.
I reviewed a few of the places we ate as well. Oh - and the laundry across the street was fine for us.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Davis, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

My family of 5 stayed in 2 rooms here on the beach portion of our 1-month trip to Vietnam this past July. At a glance, the place is perfect, but after staying there, I wished we had chosen another hotel.

The hotel is physically beautiful, with bungalow-style rooms arranged around a central swimming pool which overlooks the sea. The gardens are lovely and the rooms look fine, but we encountered some problems which upset me:
- The shower wasn't hot; it was cold, then warm, then hot, then cold again, etc,... making it very difficult to complete the shower. Not relaxing at all.
- The wifi never worked in our room and after speaking with other guests I found it seems to only work at the front desk.
- While the bigger bed my kids slept in was fine, the single 'bed' I slept in was hard and lumpy. My hips and shoulders hurt in the morning and I wasn't able to get a good night's sleep.
- They didn't offer a door sign allowing me to tell them whether or not I preferred they let us be or if I preferred to have them clean the room. So we never know when they'd be in the room, and we had to work around them every day, and they always left the floors wet.

We paid $40(USD) for the room, and it just wasn't worth it.
Compounding the issues, was the fact that the beach is now gone from in front of the hotel... this is obviously nature's doing and not the hotel's fault, but for $40, we should have gone further South and stayed at a hotel which still had a beach to sit on and swim from.

They do not offer a laundry service, but the little convenience store across the road did, so I used them and they did a fine job.

I am interested in visiting Mui Ne again, but I would definitely not consider staying at the Sunrise again.

Room Tip: Ask to see available rooms before choosing, try to negotiate the rate, especially in the off season.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

Our family went there in the middle of July. There was no bad feature of this resort. After looking for a resort with reasonable price and good quality, we came up with this one and we made a good decision. The resort is not as big as those in the neighborhood but it provides a warm and friendly atmosphere. I love it at the first glance. Don't be disappointed at the first look at the gate, step inside and you will be surprised at a totally different view. I love the rooms. they are nicely decorated. the restrooms are spotlessly clean, which meet hygiene quality. I love that ! breakfast is free ! good place to spend vacation ! the owner is a couple from hochiminh city, they are amazing !

Room Tip: good experience
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sunrise Resort? Share your experiences!