“Beauty and the Beast” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rend Lake Resort & Conference Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Whittington
Rend Lake Resort & Conference Center
You added Rend Lake Resort & Conference Center to your Saves list
11712 East Windy Lane, Whittington, IL 62897   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Whittington
Bolingbrook, Illinois
“Beauty and the Beast”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

The Rend Lake resort is a really pretty location, right on the water with a marina and wonderful forest-like tree setting. The bad news is the resort has been in need of major renovations for some time now. This was my third stay here for a working conference and the resort is in desperate need of major renovations. The rooms (never stayed at a cabin) look like they were last overhauled in the 1980s. Old worn carpet, dated nicked-up mismatched furniture, and old fixtures in the bathroom. I walked down to the marina and there is a sign saying the gasoline pump is broken, and, the pontoon boats for rent had torn-up seats and mold growing everywhere. This has the potential for be a great vacation site, but it has a long way to go in its current condition. Sad.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Ok I gave it the benefit of the doubt. I'm not haughty or mean however I do have expectations. As soon as we checked in and went into the room - I was setting my baggage down when the door opened and a maid entered the room with no notice! Thank goodness I was decent! Lol. I splurged and got the jacuzzi suite. The carpet is old and is buckling from water. I can overlook that we sat in jacuzzi for an hour trying to get it to fill up so we could turn jets on! Didn't happen wouldn't fill up. Tv is nice but only got about 3 of channels advertised in book the rest gave message searching no signal. Ac worked great and bed was comfy. The next day I found 2 bugs in the restroom. A beetle and a silverfish. Thank god no bedbugs I searched for them. The ceiling had small black spots that appeared to be mold. The coffee pot was almost ridiculous to try and make coffee with - the carafe doesn't fit with the top part. I have no one to impress or get even with for this post. I just wanted u to know what ur getting. It's a beautiful place that needs some MAJOR work done.

• Stayed September 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Unprofessional, not clean, overpriced, Windows Resturant horrible, frozen food prepared by slow ill trained staff,, they call this cook a chef ( really) when I asked where he had his training no one knew he did or didn't, no host to greet you, dining room dirty, one app. 2 beers, and one entree of cheese ravioli, $46. Seafood buffet ( frozen) a then fried except crab legs $23.99 Resort. No. At least not what most people would think when they book at a resort. They advertise the Green Door Spa. You would think its on the property. Nope 20 miles away. But they will pick you up in the VW Beetle and bring you back. Really/?

• Stayed September 2013
Portage, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband's family has their annual reunion in the Rend Lake area. We have always stayed in the duplex cabins at Rend Lake Resort; so we can have more time together with siblings in the large living room. Siblings also stay in the adjacent air conditioned cabins or the hotel.
It was a pleasant surprise this year that the cabins were updated with new furnishings (flat screen TV's, new leather pullout couches and new table & chairs). Also, considering you are right at the edge of the lake, there wasn't any mold or musty smell either! Now, they only need to update the mattresses. The staff is always courteous and willing to make your stay pleasant. There are plenty of outdoor activities available. The restaurant's food has always been delicious.

Room Tip: If more than one family is spending the night, request a duplex cabin. Although staff says there is...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Parkersburg, WV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed two nights in one of the hotel's spa rooms. Based on the Trip Advisor reviews, I expected the experience to be worse than it actually was. They now have large screen TVs in the rooms (or at least in my wing of the hotel) but, although they show 20 channels available in their room guide, I got only 11 channels in my room. The decor is very outdated--1980s, I would say. The carpet was worn and wrinkled up. The spa tub was nice (though the jets could have been cleaner) but the controls for the tub were located on the other side of the room and you had to get out of the tub to adjust them. I didn't hate the room but I did feel it was overpriced at about $120 per night. They had only a few of the usual amenities...a coffee maker, iron and ironing board...but lacked a lot of things found in most hotels these days such as a room safe, an ice machine (you had to go to the front desk to ask for ice) and a complimentary continental breakfast. The staff were pleasant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Godfrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Wonderful experience. Beautiful room, excellent service and fine dining at it's best. Many enjoyable things to do, boating, fishing, hiking, golf or just relaxing in a peaceful environment. One of the best family vacations we have had.

Room Tip: Ask for the Windjammer.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Columbia, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We are so glad we decided to stay at Rend Lake Resort, the place was just beautiful, the grounds were well kept, our room was nice and clean and the staff was excellent, we have a son in a wheelchair and they went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and had everything we/he needed. If you are looking for hot night life this may not be your cup of tea but if you're looking for a beautiful retreat to spend time with your family I highly recommend it. My only complaint is that they only have wifi available in the hotel lobby, not in any of the rooms but they are working at getting it in all the rooms.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Rend Lake Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!