“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rend Lake Resort & Conference Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Whittington
Rend Lake Resort & Conference Center
You added Rend Lake Resort & Conference Center to your Saves list
11712 East Windy Lane, Whittington, IL 62897   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Whittington
Elgin, Illinois
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

The prior reviews almost scared me off at first, but I was roped in by their special rate coupon for during the week. At $85 a night for any room, i decided to at least give it a try. I was so happy that I decided to try it. It was a beautiful location and the staff was great. They were extremely accommodating and did everything they could to help me out. Unfortunately, these bad reviews poorly reflect the resort. Not enough people comment about the good that this place has to offer. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and I would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Riverside, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We were pleasantly surprised by the resort when we got there. The website really does not do the cabins and grounds justice.

The cabin was large especially or the rate. The fridge and wet bar was great. We brought a slow cooker and electric skillet and made great meals for the family.

The grounds were well maintained and the views of the lake are amazing.

We spent a lot of time in the pool which was nice and clean and a great temp.

All staff was very friendly and helpful.

I love the bike rentals and was vet excited they even had small bikes with training wheels for kids.

The place was a great little getaway!

• Stayed July 2013
Bakersfield, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Attractive location and facilities. Sloppy management. Had to call maintenance twice to deal with a backed up toilet and a slow sink drain. Internet never worked (we stayed 5 nights), even in the lobby, and staff could not give a consistent story about the problem. Watched a nice rainstorm on the lake, part of which streamed (not dripped) into the room above the balcony door. The floor above appears to lack carpet padding because all footsteps echoed through our room. Were trapped in our room by skunks that live under the sidewalk outside our door. Other than that, it was OK. Beds, TV, refrigerator, and furnishing were in good condition, but the only chairs are hard and straight. It's sad that a facility with such potential is so poorly managed.

Room Tip: Bottom floors hear everything above them.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This place was down right terrible. We rented 2 flagship boatels expecting nice rooms for the cost. What we got was far from that. The TVs were not the same and barely worked ,the rooms were dirty and the water took 20 min to get hot. I would think that an establishment that knew their patrons would be spending the day in the sun would at least use a fabric softener on their towels. Their towels felt like sand paper. Our coffee wasn't refilled though they made our beds with the same dirty sheets. I mean what is the point if your not going to take the trash out or change the sheets. Only 2 of the 5 lights in each room worked. This place was a huge waste of money. Next time I would rather tent camp,I feel as though the accommodations would be similar. Also one of the fire places did not work. The beds were awful too, every time you moved, it would wake up your partner, and the sheets were nappy and very uncomfortable too.

• Stayed June 2013
Troy, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Hotel was ok at best. By far not worth the price. Had a funny smell, beds were old and saggy. Nothing updated. Everyday we were told the pool would be fixed the next day, when we left on the 4th day is still was not fixed.

The worst part is the manager. She was bashing her customers in the bar to other customers. While the bartender was smoking in the bar, which is illegal. Don't plan on drinking there unless you want to pay $4-$5 for beer and be disrespected and come out smelling like an ash tray.

No way I would recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Fenton, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Rooms were ok, but I am handicapped and they put me on the second floor....and there are no elevators. When I asked about a ground room floor, I was told they were booked. Seriously??? There were like five cars in the parking lot. If we checked in late, I could understand, but it was 4:00. Couldn't a room be switched? I don't see where ground floors are more expensive. Most hotels/motels go out of their way to accomodate someone with crutches. A third party booked the rooms for us, and although I have used crutches for 31 years, and they knew that, I guess they forgot to mention it when booking for the group. I am very dissappointed in this place.

Room Tip: If you are disabled, make sure you request a ground floor room when you book. If you are being book...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Bloomington, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We just spent a night at the Rend Lake Resort. We stayed in the Boatel, the hotel that is just near the water. We had two upper floor rooms which are comprised of a first floor with pull out couch, TV, bathroom and balcony and then a second floor loft with a queen sized bed, TV and one side table (why just one side table??).

The resort is obviously trying to keep up appearances, but looks to be suffering from some financial difficulties that keeps it from updating where needed. The exterior paint and wood trim, doors and landscaping were run down, chipped and downright dirty.

However, once we got inside our room things improved quite a bit. The atmosphere is rustic, but clean. I did not see evidence of a single hair in our bathroom. The linens were crisp, fresh-smelling and clean. The furniture is basic hotel type furniture, but we expected that. The mattress was very comfortable and the room temperature just right. Some of the bathroom fixures (sink handles, sink stopper) were old and in need of replacement, but easy to overlook.

The biggest flaw I saw was when I stepped out onto the balcony. The plastic chairs a la Walmart were cracked and badly in need of replacement. The balcony just below ours was littered with cigarette butts and I saw many places on both balconies that needed to have the wood trim completely replaced.

The woman manning the front desk was kind but hurried. She seemed to be doing it all and trying her best, but I got the impression that they are understaffed and trying hard to keep things up on a reduced budget. There aren't many choices that close to the lake so I hope Rend Lake Resort can stay afloat. We ended up going to Mt. Vernon for dinner as there were not many choices close to the "resort".

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Rend Lake Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!