“Nice place with nice people” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Wheeling
Bloomington, Illinois
“Nice place with nice people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

It's a nice hotel. All the people were nice. There were a couple of small issues. They addressed them and the manager followed up with me later. They took care of them very nicely. Everyplace will have some small things, it's a good hotel that tries to be helpful as soon as they can.They are having parking issues at night on the weekends, but are in the process of fixing that too. We would stay there again if the situation would ever present itself.

Room Tip: Ask for a mini-fridge before you arrive and again at check-in. The ones in the room are not refridge...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
LMartin395, Manager at Westin Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I am so glad they you enjoyed your stay and our staff was able to accommodate your needs. We look forward to having you back when the weather gets warmer!

Thanks,
Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Northville, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I've stayed at this property probably 6 or 7 times over the last few years. It's typical Westin quality of lobby, amenities, etc. However this stay, I checked in on a Wednesday afternoon, the place was empty and I was greeted by a less than enthusiastic front desk representative. Upon getting to my room, there was a strong chemical smell. After trying to ignore for a bit, I called to have my room moved. Again, same desk representative, responded with a "yeah - they are painting up on the top floors - it will be like that for a little while". That didn't work for me. Long story short, I got moved to another room - no paint smell. Again, not a horrible place - quite nice - I was just disappointed in the service level given the inconvenience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Ann U, Starwood Hotels at Westin Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Hi MattD,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your comments and it's important that we are always delivering the best customer service possible. And in your case, it seemed that wasn't delivered. Your feedback will be elevated as we continue to improve at Westin. Thank you for your loyalty and staying with us 6-7 times over the past few years. We hope to see you back at Westin again soon!
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed at the Westin about 5 times in the past few years. It is a very nice property, very comfortable beds, and clean. What else can you ask for. The decor is modern and the staff is friendly. I continue to stay for a reason...good sleep and a good price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ann U, Starwood Hotels at Westin Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Hi StephD0205!
Thank you so much for the positive review. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our hotel meets and exceeds your expectations. Thank you for your loyalty over the past few years and we look forward to welcoming you back again at Westin.
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. It is the nicest hotel in Wheeling and probably in the northern suburbs. They have all the amenities here and the service is superb. The club level is worth the extra money.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Ann U, Starwood Hotels at Westin Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear garysteciuk,
Thank you so much for the glowing review of our hotel! We appreciate the feedback and are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations. We hope to see you again soon!
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is a newer hotel, and it shows. The rooms are very nice, with above average furnishings and quality. Typical Westin comfort, which is a good thing. Maintenance is a bit lacking because our room won't cool down and one of the lights is burned out.
The restaurants on property are very solid, with your choice of steaks, sushi, Italian, etc. I also like the fact that you don't pay ridiculous Chicago parking prices or taxes.
If you are planning to be in the northern suburbs, this property is a very good choice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ann U, Starwood Hotels at Westin Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay at Westin Chicago North Shore and found the hotel met your needs while traveling! Thank you for the positive feedback on the restaurant options and the location. Sorry to hear the temperature in your room wasn't working well and the light was burnt out. We will work to improve on that. Hope to see you again soon!
Laurel, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a holiday visit with family living in the area. I reserved a junior suite, which is large and comfortable, with a very spacious bathroom with huge walk-in shower. Unfortunately, the views were of the roof of the hotel and neary Lake-Cook Road. Nevertheless, the hotel is modern and fresh, decorated in soothing colors. I would stay here again.

Only two minor quibbles. First, housekeeping could have been a little more attentive. Found a Twizzler candy laying on the floor next to the drapes. The cocktail table had sticky marks from glasses. And there were a few long black hairs in the bathroom. Secondly, despite the huge bathroom, there was only a single vanity with nowhere to put our stuff, much less a hand towel. Like many hotels nowadays, they encourage you to decline housekeeping for a couple of days during your stay, but there's nowhere to put the towels you migh re-use.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ann U, Starwood Hotels at Westin Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review during your stay over the holidays. We're glad to hear your room was spacious and comfortable. Regarding housekeeping, we have made note and shared with our staff to ensure we improve the cleanliness of our rooms. We hope to welcome you back soon!
Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

First, let me start off by saying I was pretty excited at staying at this Westin because of its proximity to a few of my beloved restaurants in the local area. I've spent quite a few nights at this hotel, and might choose this hotel (emphasis on might) depending on how I feel they make improvements on a few things. I would say this is a decent hotel. I can't say this is a good business hotel because I needed to print a few things out unexpectedly and needed to use their business center. I walked in and found these OLD and SLOW computers making it frustrating for me to print out something so simple. I felt like I was on dial up. It was certainly one of the most frustrating and ridiculous things I've ever experienced. For God's sake - you're a WESTIN. You can't just throw WESTIN out there without having the feasible amenities. How can you call yourself a 'business' hotel when you can't even maintain your computers. I felt like I was at a high school computer lab that's been deprived of government funding because of their failing test scores. They charge so much per night that getting 3 new computers isn't so hard. Going to the GOOGLE website take 30 minutes in order for it to appear. This was probably the worst I've seen and its probably because they feel they can get away with it because all of the 'business' travelers don't go there in order to print out things. But it so happened I had a last minute issue and I discovered a place that they've orphaned throughout the entire hotel. They need to fix that.

Now, onto other things. I find that the front desk needs to be staffed PARTICULARLY at times when the hoards of business travelers come in. By paying attention to customers management should EASILY be able to see that Monday's from 6-8 are the most hectic and they should staff more people. I found myself waiting 20 minutes to simply check in. Those business travelers such as myself are tired and want a place that's smooth so we can get upstairs and sleep. They weren't short staffed, the other staff was actually in the other room 'chillin' and not really trying to move people along.

As far as the rooms go I have not had a problem and like how everything is very modern and well maintained. The hotel deserves its applause on that part because I can say I haven't had any problems as of yet and I've really enjoyed my room. Being SPG Platinum, I don't see anything that they do to make you feel more welcome or even differentiate themselves to where I can recommend them over other hotels to my fellow SPG Platinum folks that I know. I do enjoy the breakfast every morning as I feel its well stocked and Alice is quite nice and attentive and always conversing and making sure you feel at home.

I haven't used the pool but I have used the gym and believe me its small and somewhat oddly laid out. That's not really a negative, just something I noticed. I haven't had any problems with equipment thus far and they seem to be working well.

As I said before, this is a decent hotel, but it could use some help on a few of those items to make my stay more enjoyable if I do decide to return. There's a Sheraton within a few miles so I'll stay with them to see how they run things for the next 3 weeks or so.

Decent business hotel, but if you're not here on business - this is way too much for what you get. I'd stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Westin Chicago North Shore? Share your experiences!