“Good Quality Suburban Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Wheeling
Laurel, Maryland
“Good Quality Suburban Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a holiday visit with family living in the area. I reserved a junior suite, which is large and comfortable, with a very spacious bathroom with huge walk-in shower. Unfortunately, the views were of the roof of the hotel and neary Lake-Cook Road. Nevertheless, the hotel is modern and fresh, decorated in soothing colors. I would stay here again.

Only two minor quibbles. First, housekeeping could have been a little more attentive. Found a Twizzler candy laying on the floor next to the drapes. The cocktail table had sticky marks from glasses. And there were a few long black hairs in the bathroom. Secondly, despite the huge bathroom, there was only a single vanity with nowhere to put our stuff, much less a hand towel. Like many hotels nowadays, they encourage you to decline housekeeping for a couple of days during your stay, but there's nowhere to put the towels you migh re-use.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ann U, Starwood Hotels at The Westin Chicago North Shore, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review during your stay over the holidays. We're glad to hear your room was spacious and comfortable. Regarding housekeeping, we have made note and shared with our staff to ensure we improve the cleanliness of our rooms. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

First, let me start off by saying I was pretty excited at staying at this Westin because of its proximity to a few of my beloved restaurants in the local area. I've spent quite a few nights at this hotel, and might choose this hotel (emphasis on might) depending on how I feel they make improvements on a few things. I would say this is a decent hotel. I can't say this is a good business hotel because I needed to print a few things out unexpectedly and needed to use their business center. I walked in and found these OLD and SLOW computers making it frustrating for me to print out something so simple. I felt like I was on dial up. It was certainly one of the most frustrating and ridiculous things I've ever experienced. For God's sake - you're a WESTIN. You can't just throw WESTIN out there without having the feasible amenities. How can you call yourself a 'business' hotel when you can't even maintain your computers. I felt like I was at a high school computer lab that's been deprived of government funding because of their failing test scores. They charge so much per night that getting 3 new computers isn't so hard. Going to the GOOGLE website take 30 minutes in order for it to appear. This was probably the worst I've seen and its probably because they feel they can get away with it because all of the 'business' travelers don't go there in order to print out things. But it so happened I had a last minute issue and I discovered a place that they've orphaned throughout the entire hotel. They need to fix that.

Now, onto other things. I find that the front desk needs to be staffed PARTICULARLY at times when the hoards of business travelers come in. By paying attention to customers management should EASILY be able to see that Monday's from 6-8 are the most hectic and they should staff more people. I found myself waiting 20 minutes to simply check in. Those business travelers such as myself are tired and want a place that's smooth so we can get upstairs and sleep. They weren't short staffed, the other staff was actually in the other room 'chillin' and not really trying to move people along.

As far as the rooms go I have not had a problem and like how everything is very modern and well maintained. The hotel deserves its applause on that part because I can say I haven't had any problems as of yet and I've really enjoyed my room. Being SPG Platinum, I don't see anything that they do to make you feel more welcome or even differentiate themselves to where I can recommend them over other hotels to my fellow SPG Platinum folks that I know. I do enjoy the breakfast every morning as I feel its well stocked and Alice is quite nice and attentive and always conversing and making sure you feel at home.

I haven't used the pool but I have used the gym and believe me its small and somewhat oddly laid out. That's not really a negative, just something I noticed. I haven't had any problems with equipment thus far and they seem to be working well.

As I said before, this is a decent hotel, but it could use some help on a few of those items to make my stay more enjoyable if I do decide to return. There's a Sheraton within a few miles so I'll stay with them to see how they run things for the next 3 weeks or so.

Decent business hotel, but if you're not here on business - this is way too much for what you get. I'd stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Northwest, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We spent 2 nights here for a friends wedding and it was wonderful. Rooms are nice; great showers and very comfortable beds. Hotel bar is a little expensive but that is to be expected. Our friends wedding was amazing. Wonderful service during the reception and staff was very accommodating when it came to rearranging furniture for pictures and making sure the bride and groom had everything they needed. The presidential suite was huge and had beautiful views. If you are planning on having a wedding here I will tell ya first hand they were amazing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

Always difficult to book this one, especially during the week. Seems to be a base for a good number of consulting teams.

Basic Westin approach. Nice rooms, Heavenly bed, great showers. Italian restaurant on-site is better than average.

As SPG Platinum, they don't do much to differentiate. Westin Executive lounge is a bit lacking; just a converted suite - limited facilities. And the aforementioned consultants take it over like a frat house. Not very relaxing.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

One of my favorite hotels in the Northern Burbs. Several good restaurant choices within walking distance. The hotel gives the aura of a well run, clean business friendly outfit. I frequently stay there on business and am always very satisfied.

• Stayed December 2012
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This was my third stay in this hotel. Everything is fine and no complaints. Staff polite and friendly. This time I had a very large room (and paid the price so not an upgrade). The room was almost too big and therefore empty looking with a huge bathroom too. I ordered room service twice and was never disappointed. Salmon and delicious asparagus the first night, and a really tasty steak and more asparagus the second night. The housekeeping could improve a little - empty bottles of shampoo and showergel were piling up over my four night stay, and no-one thought to replace the breakfast ordering card. Beds comfortable and wifi access reasonably quick.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We have been to this hotel for long weekends 3 years in a row for an October convention. The rooms, lobby decor and staff are all first rate. The convention facilities are top notch too. The kitchen and housekeeping people are hard workers and very accomodating. The exotic flowers in the lobby are a really nice touch.

Now for the concerns: They charge extra for Internet access in the rooms. The room rates are not cheap, why nickel and dime us for Internet?

And the one I find most annoying: They put 2 bottles of water in the room with nearly identical tags on them. The first one says it is free; the second one says it costs $4. It seems as if they are trying to trick you into taking the 2nd bottle of water. Treat the guests with respect, and don't use trickery to get an extra $4 out of us. Even though we did nott fall for the ruse, I felt insulted by it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wheeling
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel
4.0 of 5 stars 294 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago-Deerfield/Lincolnshire
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Northbrook Wheeling
Chicago Marriott Suites Deerfield

Been to The Westin Chicago North Shore? Share your experiences!