“Fine for a short stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Wheeling
Madison, Wisconsin
“Fine for a short stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Got this hotel through a good deal on Hotwire for a cheap stay near Chicago. Looks like it is in the last stages of remodel as there was still some unfinished areas, but it looks like it's almost done. The room was nice, however the pillows were small and lumpy, so I recommend bringing your own. We had some loud stomping above us but a call to guest services got it promptly taken care of. Overall, it's fine for a short stay like one or two nights.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HawthornsuitesMgmnt, Director of Sales at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Northbrook Wheeling, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we appreciate your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff to be helpful and prompt. Our renovations are in the final stages and should be fully completed within the next two weeks. We would love to have you stay at our hotel again in the future. We look forward to accommodating you again!

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
La Crosse, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I booked one night. It's like a dorm.
Parking looked safe to me. Front dear was very friendly.
There is no elevator!
The room was clean. There was some sort of an odour in the hallway but generally speaking. It's ok for the price you pay for a room.
They have no breakfast but only coffee, donuts and candy. Would feel better if they replace those wth fruits like banana or apple actually.
Also hotel has a small workout room. But. Only trade mills were there!
I would probably again since it's affordable to me and clean!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and were satisfied with our rates and our friendly staff. I did want to point out that we do have 2 elevators that are conveniently located next to our lobby, it may have been difficult to find because the hallway was being renovated around that time. Also our renovation brings with it a complimentary hot breakfast which will be served each morning starting in early November. We would love to have you stay at our hotel again and experience our renovated property. We look forward to accommodating you again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

There are having construction going on, the moment I entered the room it smelled paint and polish , when i immediately asked the staff person (Victor) to move me to a different room , he very rudely told me that he can't do that , infact his attitude was really bad. The next day i ended up falling sick and cant go to my work bcos of drowsy feeling due to the strong paint smell .

When i spoke to the morning staff about this smell problem they told me that there were rooms available last night too and victor never left any notes regarding my problem .

So finally they moved me to a new room in afternoon , that night the internet stopped working , and again there answer was due to construction work the internet is showing a lot of problems , the same guy very rudely gave me number of some internet provider tech support and asked me to call them , i told him ,its not my job to call the service provider,but his attitude was again that he doesn't cares anything and if i need internet i need to call them .
I was on call with the tech support for almost 30 min , still internet never came back till morning .

Infact internet was always a problem in my whole stay in this place . It was always coming and going .
The staff is super rude , Its the worst hotel i have ever stayed ...the room service never left any soap and shampoo , i need to go downstairs to get those items each time , i even told them , how can the room service miss the soaps and shampoos , to which there reply was as we have construction going on , for everything there answer was "we are having construction going on"

Please stay way from here for atleast 4 months till the construction is over and paint , polish smell goes way completely . It is really bad smell and bad for health .

Staff definitely needs some good lesson of hospitality industry .Worst Wyndham , infact worst hotel i have ever stayed .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am terribly sorry that your experience at our hotel did not reflect the quality and standard that not only we hold ourselves up to, but the standard that many reviewers have found that we exemplify. During your stay we were going through an upgrade for our Wireless and that is the reason for the constant outages. The upgrade is now complete and our Internet is working perfectly and is much faster than it was previously. I have forwarded your comments to the proper departments and will address this with all of our staff. Our renovations will be completed within two weeks and I hope you will give our hotel another try. Please contact us directly at the hotel to book your next reservation and I will ensure your next stay with us supersedes your last.
Utica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This property is in the last stages of a major renovation project so the first floor is a warzone as rooms are being completely gutted, expanded, and updated. The lobby and other common areas are inaccessible (including the breakfast room) and a temporary front-desk/office has been set up in a storage closet. It's a little scary checking in as you think perhaps you've booked a sub-par hotel.

Once you get to your room however, you will find a freshly updated suite will new furnishings, a comfortable bed, ample electrical outlets, good lighting, large flat-panel TVs, plush towels, and all the amenities you would normally expect from an extended-stay facility or this type. The only draw-back I found was that there are no nearby (walk to) convenience stores, but they do have a shuttle that can take you to anyplace within about 5 miles, and they do have a weekly grocery run if you are without wheels.

As soon as the common areas (lobby, breakfast room, exercise room, front desk, etc) are open and the construction debris cleared from the first floor, this will be a premier property in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

HawthornsuitesMgmnt, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Northbrook Wheeling, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Hawthorn Suites-Wheeling! This is a great detailed review that I am sure will be very helpful to other people searching for a hotel in our area. We appreciate the positive feedback, and are so glad you feel you received such a great value. As you mention we will be completely renovated by the beginning of October 2013; will have new WIFI, decor and a full hot breakfast. . We appreciate your feedback and hope you will consider us again in the future.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My first stay was but a few weeks after the hotel was re-branded from Candlewood to Hawthorn, so still in a transitional state but prior to the renovations. I was very impressed with the staff and the room as well. At this time the room still resembled a Candlewood hotel but I'm sure when the renovations are completed, it will look more Wyndham! The full service kitchen is a bonus, and the on site store was helpful. I was able to fit my semi truck with trailer in the parking lot even though there is not necessarily "designated" truck parking. The location is somewhat funky to get to but I don't blame this on the hotel. I received a great rate during my stay and have noticed recently that prices have gone up. But that's to be expected during a huge renovation process, and I am looking forward to returning after the repairs are completed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HawthornsuitesMgmnt, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Northbrook Wheeling, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Hawthorn Suites-Wheeling! This is a great detailed review that I am sure will be very helpful to other people searching for a hotel in our area. We appreciate the positive feedback, and are so glad you feel you received such a great value. We hope you will stay with us again in the future and experience the renovations being made to the property in. We will be completely renovated by the beginning of October 2013, will have new WIFI, decor and a full hot breakfast. . We appreciate your feedback and hope you will consider us again in the future.

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Northbrook Wheeling? Share your experiences!