“WAY OVERPRICED, NOISY, Call Bar Rescue” 2 of 5 stars

(847) 844-7099
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Francesca's Campagna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 28 Restaurants in West Dundee
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: RT 31 and RT 72
Chicagoland
“WAY OVERPRICED, NOISY, Call Bar Rescue”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

This place is the Capital Grille of Italian Restaurants - overpriced, mediocre service, and not worth going to unless you are on someone else's expense account. Comparing it with the Italian Restaurants I go to, there is no comparison. Tuscany's in OakBrook is much better as well as Mandile's in Algonquin.

At least at Mandile's, you get a salad and side potatoes with your main entree. Mandile's veal dishes are excellent and less expensive.

At Francesca's, you get nothing, save for some bread. So why is it $29.99 for a veal dish? Wife had the veal and had to send it back because it was too rare. It came back good - but who makes veal that rare to begin with? I had the Halibut and it was good - but not for $26.99. Again, how much would it be to put on some Vesuvio potatoes and a side salad? Overpriced!

We came in about 5:55PM and were seated at a bad table up facing the wall, so we changed tables (there was no reservations sign on the table we sat at). Then one of the servers said this table was reserved for 7PM. I said we would be done by then, and we placed our order.

Special priced Martini was $5 but was filled about 1/2 inch below the tip of the glass. I guess they did not mix enough liquor because other Martini drinks were coming off the bar filled to the top. So call Bar Rescue for them to learn how to make a full drink. My wife's Chardonnay was good and was $8.

We ate our main entree and left. No coffee or dessert because we did not want to go over our $100 Gift certificate, but more importantly, we wanted to make sure they got their precious little table back before 7PM. We left it was about 6:33PM so they lost money on their overpriced coffee and dessert because we did not have any.

As for coming back? They won't have to worry about the table as it will be empty as far as we are concerned. Bill was $81 and we left the whole $100 gift certificate. I would not go back.

Atmosphere reminded me of eating on a train car. Very narrow space with tables stacked up on oneanother with all the noise coming constantly off the bar. Ambiance for the money? ZERO.
Put in some acoustical tiles to muffle the noise.

Was here five years ago with my lawyer and we thought it was overpriced back then. I swore I would never come back, but decided to go because I received this Gift Certificate. My verdict - stay away, there are other places that offer just as great, if not better food, with more ambiance, service, and actual food on the plate.

Good Italian Restaurant? Maybe, if you're Irish.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Sleepy Hollow, Illinois
“Bad experience will never go back to this restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Very poorly run restaurant. There on my anniversary in September and walked in to an empty restaurant on a Sunday. We sat at the bar and asked the bartender if we could sit at a specific table after our drink. The restaurant started to fill up and we decided to sit down. The bartender came from behind the bar to seat us when the manager seating patrons in a very loud voice yelled at us for sitting at this table. She said that very good costumer's just called and she promised them this table.
Most of the people seated around us were staring at her as she made a fool out of us. The bartender said he was sorry and then charged us for our drinks.
We called up Bistro Wasabi told them of the situation and they had seats waiting for us with a Champaign drink on the house when we arrived.
I will never go back to this restaurant ever again! I have eaten at their locations in Chicago on Taylor street and in Geneva and their management is first class as well as their food.
Stay away from the Dundee location!

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cape Coral, Florida
“Absolutely Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This place has it all. Atmosphere, funny competent Italian waiters, Awesome food and great wine list. My son wanted one kind of fish but is not a real fan of artichoke hearts so told our waiter he was going to order the other fish. Our waiter said no problem they would make the fish he wanted using the other fixings.
I have have a wide range of entrees through the years eaten with many different people and have never heard one word of complaint and almost always exclamations of how good the food was and what a lovely experience they had. If you are entertaining someone special or a client do not miss this place. This is what dining out is supposed to be about.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Denver, Colorado
“always a pleasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We always take our customers and clients there for lunch and it is always great. The staff is super nice, friendly and quick. They really connect with their customers and treat them like family. The food is prepared fresh and nicely presented.Good portion size. I have a favorite soup there and they try to make sure i can get it as often as possible on my visits there.I just love this place.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pennsylvania
“Simply the best !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I am a road warrior and spend 4 days a week traveling. Once every couple months I am in the Elgin area over night. This is ALWAYS where I go for dinner and have never had a bad meal. In fact, now I just sit at the bar, order a wine, and tell Carlos the bartender "feed me" ! Try it. You won't be disappointed!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere