“Big portions” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Lexington, Massachusetts
“Big portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Got a 'small' order of noodles for lunch, turned out it was so big it became my lunch and dinner. Good price, though food was just OK. The person there was friendly, though food took a while to be ready. This is really a takeout place, only 1 or 2 tables to sit.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

East Dundee, Illinois
“Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Gilberts has the best egg rolls of any chinese restaurant around! I've never had a bad meal here in 25 years!

Visited September 2013
Carpentersville, Illinois
“Resturant quality went downhill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We have been going to Gilbert's for over 10 years now. It was by far the best Chinese take out in the area. While it was not very close to our house for take-out, it was well worth it. We even bought catering trays of food for parties from them it was that good. We used to go to them all the time but over the past couple of years have been going less and less. The quality of the food has been declining as well as taste. The last time we went will be the last time-worst experience with them ever!. Take-out bill was over $50.00 which we never this high before. Wife ordered a chicken dish and asked it not to be spicy. It was so spicy, she could not eat it. I even had a hard time with it. I ordered Mongolian Beef. It is always served with those white rice noodles to go under it. I did not get the noodles, so the dish was incomplete as it needs this to soak up the sauce and flavor. I called them about this and was told they stopped including noodles with this over a year ago and they don't have them anymore. Not true, it hasn't been a year since I got them last. I then was handed to someone else over the phone and the story changed to if you want them, you have specifically ask for them and pay $2.00 extra for a small bag of noodles which probably cost them 25 cents. If they are now serving a dish which is missing an important component to it, you would think they would let you know. Just another way to jack of the price. If that wasn't bad enough, the meat was like shoe leather. In the past it would be very tender, now it hurts you jaw you have to chew this leather so much. Obviously, they are using much cheaper cuts of meat. Our kid got cashew chicken which used to be very good. The stuff they gave us had almost no cashews, was very dark looking and not very good at all. My wife and kid ended up eating almost none of this $50.00 feast at all. I had to finish all of their food over the next week as lunch leftovers, and no it did not improve with age. Also, ordered bbq pork fried rice. Instead, they gave us beef fried rice which we do not like and was not very good. When I called to complain about this as well, they only said that someone else had the same thing happen to them, Tough luck was the attitude, not we will give you a credit or replace it. The only good thing was the egg rolls, they continue to be the some of the best I've ever had. I know the ownership has not changed, it's the same guy at the front for the past 10 years. He has just decided to save money by cutting the quality of the food and jacking up the prices and charging for what should be free. Didn't even get the damn fortune cookies they used to include in all orders. Felt totally ripped off and got no apology's for screwing up the order. Never going back. What a shame, it used to be so good.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Hong Kong Chef is better down the street.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I've been a loyal customer of Gilberts for years and they have either changed cooks, changed food vendors or a combination of both. The sesame chicken is soggy and has no crunch at all anymore and it seems like you're getting more dark meat than anything else. I'm sorry but I had to move on.

They still have the biggest and best egg rolls though!

Visited May 2012
West Dundee, Illinois
“If you like Chinese food..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Great Chinese take out! Portions are very large and the price is very fair.

• Visited May 2012