“Just okay” 3 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #9 of 16 hotels in Waukegan
“Just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Like many other posters, my fiancé and I stayed at this hotel to attend my brother's naval graduation. If you're looking for a quick stay in Waukegan and not planning on spending time in the hotel room, this hotel did the trick. Very bare and basic rooms. Smelled musty and were not renovated but appeared clean. If you want to be in a "feel good" room and spend time in the hotel, then this is not the place for you. We will not return to this hotel again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

J Morgan (You) reviewed in the last week
Quality Poor to fair Facilities Poor to fair Service Poor to fair

This establishment has a lot of work to do, all rooms smell like smoke and rooms are out dated and appear filthy. The manager Nicolas refused to provide a refund due to an hour stay. I explained that I attempted to rest, but was having trouble sleeping due to the smoky air throughout the building. Management didn't show any sign of good customer care nor service. When I attempted to contact customer service I was informed they could only report the incident, but was not able to extend any form of compensation because the Quality Inn at 619 South Green Bay Road, Waukegan, IL 60085 is a franchise. I travel for a living and stay at many hotels, this is by far the worst I have experienced. You should be able to get a decent room that is truly smoke free for a decent price, and although there are many out there this particular facility is not one of them.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sabattus, Maine, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

As many people did, I booked a room here for our son's Navy graduation. I booked through hotelsone.com, so I got a great deal. Now I know why! Though the room was decently priced, it wasn't even worth the price we paid. Upon entering the lobby, which, I must say, was very clean and polished, the smell of Windex was almost overwhelming! Another reviewer described the smell as Lysol. Whichever, I found it quite odd that the lobby would smell that way.

The hallway reeked of mold and cigarette smoke and the room was even worse! The heat was turned up to 77 degrees when we entered the room! The curtain was stained, the sink had no drain cover, the faucet took Herculean strenght to turn on, the tub faucet had to be turned to the RIGHT for hot water instead of the left as is indicated. The TV had only 26 stations to choose from and made a buzzing sound all the while we were trying to watch something. The outlets were loose and there was a mess of power strips behind the TV. None of the electrical plugs were completely connected to the outlets. The rug was filthy. I could go on and on!

The plus side was that the bed sheets and pillow cases were immaculately white and smelled extremely fresh. Also, the bed was firm but very comfortable. And the staff was friendly.

But, if for some reason, I ever had to go back to this location, I would NEVER stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed here 3 nights for our son's graduation from the nearby Naval Recruit Center. We booked two rooms weeks in advance, and had requested that they be close to each other, if not adjoining. We were issued one on the first floor and one on the second floor. No elevator. The hallways smelled of smoke. Neither of the TV's worked properly. Our bedspread and the bathtub surround both had cigarette burn holes, although we had booked a non-smoking room, and there were stains on the carpet. We were told the shuttle bus to the graduation carried around 30 people. It carried 15 and had to make 3 or 4 runs. The breakfast options were bland. I am not a hotel snob; it doesn't take much to make me happy. Seriously? Pass this one up.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Great experience with this hotel, quality indeed. Refrigerator was making a noise at check-in, upon reporting the mgt. immediately replaced. Room was clean and comfortable and had everything you could ask for, even a power strip for all your electronics. Unusual to find housekeeping replenishing towels and coffee items, even brought extra blankets; call the front desk at midnight to request wake-up call & they actually answer, no problem. Best full breakfast, including scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, waffles. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful with directions into Chicago, etc. Close to the Great Lakes Naval Training Center, and a restaurant across the parking lot. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

We had to go to Waukegan for our grandson's graduation from bootcamp at the Naval Training Center at the Great Lakes. I had called 5 other hotels and they were booked and this was the first place I found rooms. During graduation time it is hard to get accommodations if not made early but sometimes you don't know what the date is until later. Therefore we had to settle for this hotel. It was ok in a pinch. It needs updating as far as carpet, bed spreads, linens, etc. The price was right as the Navy give families a special rate for this occasion. I think I would find another place next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We just came back from this weekend's Navy Graduation, and we found it to be a great experience. I had read some of the reviews beforehand, so I was a little worried about cleanliness. Entering the motel, it smelled and looked clean. The staff was friendly. Our rooms were also clean and fresh. I have a habit of inspecting beds, especially roll out beds, before we settle in, and all were freshly washed. The man at the front desk, Nicolas, was very helpful as I tried to print out some important documents on the computer in the lobby, and the cleaning staff also went out of their way to find out if we needed anything. The shuttle service to the graduation was comfortable and got us there early enough to get a good seat. A highlight for my family, especially my kids, was a great hot breakfast and the comfortable dining area with TV, we were able to sit and visit with our Graduate. If I had one complaint, I guess you could say the rooms were on the small side, but for the price, it was fine with me. We had 2 rooms, each with a double bed and a roll out bed, and we had 3 people in each. It worked out just fine. The microwave and refrigerator were clean, and there was plenty of room to prepare food and sit and eat it together.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn Waukegan? Share your experiences!