“you get what you pay for” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Waukegan/Gurnee

Save Saved
You added Ramada Waukegan/Gurnee to your Saves list
Ramada Waukegan/Gurnee
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 North Greenbay Road, Grand Ave & Green Bay Rd, Waukegan, IL 60085   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #7 of 16 hotels in Waukegan
Wisconsin
“you get what you pay for”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We only stayed one night, and thank goodness for that. Hotel lobby is the nicest thing about this hotel. The entire hotel needs a good cleaning. All hallways smelled horribly. When we checked in I asked if the hot tub was working because many reviews mentioned it was broken. I was told yes it was working, which was a lie, when we went to pool we discovered it was broken and had been for quite some time. The water was brownish green, disgusting. Pool area was also in need of some deep cleaning. We also checked out the onsite restaurant, which is actually a bar with a few tables. The restaurant smelled of smoke and the a/c wasn't working so it was quite uncomfortable. Something was dripping from the ceiling and they put a "wet floor" sign on the floor. The bartender was by himself, so service was slow, but the food was ok. Overall I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Ramada W, General Manager at Ramada Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Travel_Girl7575,

I'm sorry you missed the rest of our Base 42 Bar & Grill dining room with several booths and tables. It sounds like you encountered Alfie, our veteran bartender in the bar side of the restaurant. I'm happy to hear he could serve your needs. Thank you for noticing our newly remodeled lobby. We are continuing remodeling into the rest of those horrible hallways, removing dated wallcoverings and worn carpets. We did experience a leak, however it is difficult to address leaking roofs during rainstorms. We placed the wet floor sign for the safety of our guests and repaired the leak the very next dry day.

568 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

July 2-3, 2014. stayed one night. I try to always be fair. this is NOT as bad as other reviewers have said, if you want or need 4STAR go to another hotel-Period. Other reviews were correct there is a smell, not horrible, just like an apartment complex hallway with all the different households cooking combined with a pool smell and your grandma's damp basement. That's the smell. The hotel looks like an old apt. complex. It is old. HOWEVER the room was CLEAN, the bed was COMFY, the STAFF WAS SUPER KIND, HELPFUL & FRIENDLY. The Breakfast was a much better continental breakfast than I have had at even nicer hotels that cost more, some other reviewer that said it was an average bkfst was not being truthful or fair. I stayed with 2 teenage kids and husband. The hot tub was broken. The pool water could've been a bit warmer & there should have been more pool towels available. As far as noises are concerned just about every hotel I have been to you can hear your neighbors doors shutting, walking in the halls, babies crying in other rooms - this was no different & no worse. If you are on a budget, or just looking to not break the bank do not be afraid to stay here. It was a decent, hotel for the price.

Room Tip: All the rooms are old, we stayed in 219. this hotel is 2 floors, not sure there is an elevator, lots...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear LeesaChicago,

Thank you for your kind words and honest review. We try very hard to be the best value for our guests, as we try to correct our shortcomings. I'm happy your family enjoyed our comfy beds and better continental breakfast. I appreciate your patience with us as we repaired our hot tub. The hot tub is now full of hot bubbly water.

Evansville, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Front lobby looked nice, and staff was also nice! The hallways smelt of a old and musty! It is the perfect place to stay if you want to party all night! It felt like we were in a college dorm, there was partying in the halls and in rooms, guest were very loud with no concerns about other guests! tried calling front desk at 1am to see if they could do something about the loud guests but no one answered! So all in all if you want to have a rowdey weekend this is the place to stay, but if you want to relax and get some sleep then this is probably not the place for you!!

Dear BreCat72,

Thank you for noticing our newly remodeled lobby and generously kind staff. We are continuing remodeling into the hallways to remedy that old and musty appearance you saw. I'm sorry no one could take your call at 1am. Sometimes the night clerk must also serve guests away from the desk and will return shortly.

Springfield, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We were in town for Navy graduation with the family. There was an issue getting the room type that we reserved several weeks in advance at check in and had to stay in another room. Lobby men's restroom smelled like a port-a-potty on a hundred degree day during our entire stay (we used it while at the pool). Hallways looked dirty and felt like they were not cleaned regularly. The hot tub was out of order and drained. The pool open an hour after the posted time. There was a strong mildew smell in our room and down the entire hallway. Housekeeping did not leave towels in the room two days in a row and the front desk only had a couple to give us. WiFi did not work the entire time we stayed. The printer in the business center was not working to print boarding passes for our flight. Management was almost non existent. We will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Find another hotel to stay at.
Dear John W.,

Thank you for choosing our Ramada for your Naval Graduation visit. We are privileged to share this proud moment with our guests. Sometimes, room types cannot be guaranteed if an unforeseen maintenance issue arises, and we will subsitute with a similar or better room. I appreciate your patience with our hot tub, it is now fixed and full of hot bubbling water.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

After reading all of these reviews I still booked my stay. The bad reviews just kept getting worse. I tried calling to see if any of these things had been fixed, the assured me they were. I told them you guys have really bad reviews online, they told me if I'm so worried about it I should may cancel my stay. So I found space at the navy lodge wroth great reviews and as advised I canceled! ! Thank God I didn't make it there worth my children.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Eva D.,

I'm sorry you decided not to stay with us.

Appleton, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Worse place I have ever stayed at. They offer a free shuttle to and from Six Flags. Get there and they say the shuttle will be back at 10am. At 10:20 no shuttle, so instead hired a sketchy taxi driver that nearly starts a fight in the parking lot upon our arrival to the park. Then call the hotel later to find out how we are going to get back. Offer to call us when the free shuttle has returned to pick us up at 10pm, they neglect to do so, and when we called, they informed us that they really have no idea where the driver is and tell us to take a cab. We got in the a cab, and the the cab driver told us that this isn't the only time that this has happened with them. When we get back to the hotel to talk to them about how horrible they are doing and we are not pleased, the guy gets an attitude with us when I call out the horrible customer service that we have received all day. We then said "we don't even know if we want to stay here." They said it would be unwise to cancel because "Every hotel in the city is booked." So he offers to pay for our room for us. 3 minutes later says okay you are all set. Asked for our key and he said "You just told me you where leaving, so I checked you out." Um No we didn't say we where leaving because we needed a place to stay and you said you would pay for it because of the service. He said "I'm not paying your room." Well formerly well respected Ramada Inn, you're right I will not stay in a place that says one thing and does another. So we took our business to the hotel down the street. Oh, and they did have available rooms. Ramada had the worst service ever, then got an attitude when you tell them that you are not pleased. Never felt more disrespected by a place like they treated us. ALL of the Ramada's have lost my business because of this one place.

Room Tip: Want a good room, and great service go else where!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ramada W, General Manager at Ramada Waukegan/Gurnee, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Tiffany549,

I am very sorry you were not pleased with our service and I will discuss your experience in detail with my drivers and front desk staff. We do offer free shuttle service to and from Six Flags theme park. If our driver is not available, we will contract a local taxi to shuttle for us.

general manager

Been to Ramada Waukegan/Gurnee? Share your experiences!