“Great Hotel Great Staff Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee

You added Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee to your Saves list
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3800 Northpoint Boulevard, Lakehurst Rd, Waukegan, IL 60085   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
san jose
“Great Hotel Great Staff Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

How more vague can I get with the title but really my stay here was just great.

I stayed here to visit my boyfriend who just graduated in the Navy. About a ten minute drive from base.

Staff was great! This is my third time staying at this hotel. A lot of eateries in the area. Starbucks is right next to the hotel. My stay was all leisure so I dont really know what is around. But other than the staff and room itself I was really comfortable.

When I arrived they had Navy souvenirs. Keychains, T-Shirts, Stickers etc. All fairly priced I bought a "I heart my sailor" decal sticker for my laptop. Around 4-5bucksish

Across the street there are a lot of shopping areas for groceries, togo food, and just places to wonder around.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Nashville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

From the time we walked in the door, the staff was very friendly. Our room was large and comfortable, better than we expected. Clean. Workout room was great. Internet was very fast. Most of all, we were SO happy with the packet they gave us with information about shopping, transportation, etc. They were really well prepared for the onslaught of parents of navy graduates. Price was great. Breakfast is VERY overpriced; syrup was cold as were eggs. Glad I only needed it once.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Washington, DC, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

Liked best: location, room was nice, also balcony and grass courtyard interior.

Liked least: breakfast, staff did not understand-I gotta go. And I hear they are going to charge for a slow breakfast soon. No. Keep it quick and simple-that's what I want and need.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

Some of the Courtyards have been refurbished and are ok, but this one is not.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

This hotel is a bit off the beaten path, but only minutes from the Navy Base at Great Lakes. It is within walking distance from many restaurants and next door to a fun sports bar. There is a gazebo in the court yard and a nice business center. Breakfast buffet in the morning was great and they'll even charge you for a la carte which is wonderful (oatmeal with fixins $1.88). The staff at the front desk was more than helpful and very gracious. The rate was reasonable and the room was pretty clean. It is not what I would call luxury, but for business it was fine. Free internet too.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

The front desk help was great. The room was very clean. We chose this hotel because it was so convenient to Great Lakes Naval Center. It was very convenient to the ONLY shopping venue - Walmart ;-p If I had known the lay of the land, I'd have stayed at the new Holiday Inn or Springhill Suites. They were grouped all together. The pillows were horrible. It was like very old dacron that had crumbled on the inside of the pillow. I asked for more and the housekeeper informed me that all the pillows were that way and this was "normal" . . . not. The room seemed a little worn, but like I said, clean. We didn't spend much time in the room. The vanity area was so small it was almost impossible for two people to get ready. A few more mirrors would have been great. They only had one mirror above the vanity sink with mirrored closet doors right next to it. Would I recommend it to a friend? Only if you can get a great deal . . . DON'T PAY FULL PRICE! The free Wi-Fi was appreciated. Oh . . . PLEASE PAY A VISIT TO THE ILLINOIS STATE PART - RESORT HOTEL. WHAT A FABULOUS PLACE! ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!! Great little surprise. Twenty or so minutes from Waukegan.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Racine, Wi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

I traveled to this area about once a month for work in winter of 2007

Now this hotel is a square shaped building, and they charge extra for the rooms that face the inside. They call them “Courtyard view”. I call it, “outside rooms face the highway so you have to hear truck roaring by at two in the morning.”

So I show up, and it turns out there’s an eight grade basketball tournament in the area and several of the teams were staying in this hotel.

When I arrive there was along line to check in due to all the basketball players and chaperones.

Despite the fact that when it was my turn to check in, I had my Rewards card and conformation number out and ready, the front desk worker ignored that and assumed I was part of the group. She started to hand me a room key and tell me the group rate would apply. I’m like “What group rate? I’m not with them”. She gets this annoyed look and was like “oh, what’s your name again?”

She gave me a room key and I went upstairs. When I got to my room, it was a two queen bed room and was a connecting room to a room with basketball players.

Also, the kids were making a ton of noise. They were running up and down the halls and rough- housing in the elevators.

I returned to the front desk and told the girl working that my reservation was for a king size bed and that I would like a room that was not near the kids.

She gave me a new room key, and I noticed the new room number was just a few rooms down from where I was before, so I asked if there was anything available farther away from where the kids were staying.

She snapped at me and said “OK, what do you want?! You said you wanted a king size bed, I switched you. I’m trying to help you out!”

I repeated that I wanted to be put farther away from where the basketball team was staying and she said the other end of the building was filled.

I’m thinking “my reservation was for a king sized bed in the first place. So she really shouldn’t have acted like she was doing me some huge favor by correcting her mistake.”

While I was trying to get some work done in my room, I heard a loud bang and a scream from outside. I opened my door and these kids were playing leap frog down the hallway.

I went to the business center thinking I could get some work done there. No such luck, the kids were in there playing on the internet.

In the pool, again, the kids were making a ton of noise and horseplay. There were no adults there supervising.

I ended up getting hit when one of the kids decided the lifesaving tube hanging on the wall was a toy and started throwing it around the pool.

There were six other people in the hot tub, one was am elderly man.

These kids apparently thought the hot tub was just a mini pool, one of them cannon balled right into the middle of it, I thought the older man was going to have a heart attack.

Another guest in the pool called the front desk to ask that someone get these kids in line. There was no response, at least not while I was in the pool.

I did not get any sleep that night as kids were continuing to play in the halls.

So I go to the hotel chain’s website and sent an email about what happened.

I got a response from the manager offering me a free night.

I was back in that are and was going to redeem my free night.

I walk in and there was the same girl working the front desk.

First thing out of her mouth, is, in a snippy tone “Don’t worry, there’s no basketball players here this time”

She tells me all the courtyard rooms are full. I told her that I had reserved an inside room and she repeated that they were all taken. I’m like “I reserved a courtyard room and they cost extra”.

She gives me this dirty look and says, “it doesn’t matter anyway, your room’s free”.

Let’s see here: My rooms is free because the last time I was there she messed up my reservation and gave me the same attitude!

So, once again I went tot he hotel chain’s website and sent in a complaint describing what happed.

Once again, I got an automated message saying “We have forwarded your comments to associates in the Executive Office of the hotel for review and have requested that someone from that office respond to address your concerns. You should be contacted within three to five business days.”

I finally received an email form the same manager as before saying “I have spoke with the clerk that you encountered and have gone over with her the correct way to handle the situation.” (yeah, she “spoke” to her last time, lots of good it did!)

Than she says: “Please know that the situation with the courtyard view, this is not a guarantee but a request and we always do our best to fulfill all the request we can.”

I replied saying that according to both the website and the 1-800 number, Courtyard view rooms cost extra. Therefore, when reserving the room at a higher cost, it seems as a guarantee.

I then copy and pasted the room descriptions from the website, where it clearly states in the room description “Courtyard view”.

The manager wrote back saying the rooms cost extra because they include breakfast, but still insisted that the Courtyard view rooms are not a guarantee, they are a request.

I once again copy and pasted the room descriptions from the website.

She finally quit responding to me.

I had stayed there several times with no problems, but this just took the cake.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee? Share your experiences!