“an elevator would have made it perfect” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan

You added Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3031 Belvidere Rd, Waukegan, IL 60085 (Formerly Comfort Inn)   |
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Joliet, Illinois
“an elevator would have made it perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Red Roof in Waukegan IL. The staff was very friendly and bent over backwards to help us in every way. We had some family business near by and this Red Roof Inn was $20 cheaper than other hotels in the area, but that may be because the Red Roof sits back off the main road (120).

If they would have had an elevator, it would have been perfect.

Room Tip: Get one on the first floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My son Graduated from Boot Camp on 2/8. We chose them because they sounded friendly on the phone and offered good price clean and nice environment and free shuttling to and from the Navy site. Being from Fla and it was snowing in their area (I hate driving in the snow) we asked about getting shuttling from ORD. They provided us with good info. We received all they promised. Thanks to Manager Ken and associate Martel who made our trip recommendable. Definitely would return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Brandon, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We drove from Florida to see our daughter graduate from Boot Camp. We chose Red Roof Inn because of its location and price. We decided to drive straight through and pulled in at 3 am a day earlier than planned. The night shift staff was very courteous and made check in very swift. Our room was very clean with no unusual smells and the beds were very comfortable. The staff was great for directions around town and places to eat. Breakfast was nothing fancy but lots of different choices and plenty of good food. My daughters loved the waffle making machine and had fresh waffles every morning. We took the shuttle service to graduation because there was snow and ice and my daughter found she had her pocket knife in the backpack she was taking with her. We gave it to the shuttle driver to hold for us and he took it back to the front desk where we picked it up later in the day. We really enjoyed our stay here and would highly recommend staying here. I only hope there is a Red Roof Inn like this in every place she is stationed because it really was a nice place and it was a great value for the money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Athens, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We chose Red Roof Inn for the price and location for the graduation of my son-in-law from Navy boot camp the weekend of 2/1. We were not sure of what we were getting, had not read the reviews before hand. It was just the location we needed. My daughter and I could not have asked for a better stay. The manager, Ken, treated us like royality. We arrived in about 7 degree weather at close to 8 PM. He came to our car after we had parked, carried our luggage up the stairs to our room, insisted. That was beyond the call of duty. We stayed from 1/31 thru 2/2. As we were getting ready to leave, we pulled to the front to load our luggage, he loaded it for us, wiped all snow (about 3" had fallen over night).Totally cleared our car of the snow. He was so helpful as to restaurants, places to go for the graduation, etc as was his staff. We ended up needing to leave to be near MIdway earlier than planned due to getting to visit with sailor at the airport for 5 hours on Saturday. We told him of this and he said he thought it to be the best idea and did not hesitate to cancel our planned stay for the night of the 2/2. What other manager would have said that. He cares about his guests and it shows. His assistants (mgrs) or just staff, not sure, but if you had a question, they were there to answer as best they could, doing very well concerning the weather or the best place to eat or where the walmart was. I even noticed the morning of the PIR graduation, each recruit was only allowed 3 guest due to the size of the graduation so many people had to stay behind at the hotels. Breakfast time was to be over with but when a group came down, the food was immediately put back out for the guest. The breakfast room was open to all who wanted to sit there and visit during the day. The rooms were clean, no smells, fresh smelling towels and linens. The hotel has recently been upgraded to new TVs, pillows and looked really nice. I think it would make your stay enjoyable whether for a Navy graduation or overnight stay. I would definitely stay again if ever in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Beaumont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Excellent choice for us! We come for our sons graduation from Navy Boot Camp. They offered a discount for military families as well as information about the graduation and directions to the base. The staff was friendly and the manager treated us like we were family. He helped us find our room and made sure everything was to our liking. When we returned from our daily outings, he came out of his office and asked how our day was and if we needed anything. His staff members were also very accommodating and friendly. The room was clean and comfortable and only a few miles from the Navy base. They offered a shuttle to and from graduation, a complementary breakfast with great coffee. After graduation we brought our new Sailor back to the hotel to visit and relax. Other hotels and business should treat customers the way Ken and his staff treated us.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I had a little trouble finding the inn (even the GPS could not locate the address), but when I entered the place, there was a really friendly staff greeting me. The place might look quaint but they are excellent on customer service. I was there for my daughter's Boot Camp graduation in November, 2012 for 2 nights. I found the room to be clean and comfortable. I had to take some items to my daughter at the Chicago Midway Airport at 1:30 a.m. since she was not allowed to take her cell phone and other electronics on base. Transportation was going to be expensive for a 2 hours round trip, so Ken Hasty, the manager took me to the airport and back. He was great company. He really save my day! Hospitality was GREAT also. They offer continental breakfast which was fine with me. I highly recommend this inn & would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I had to go next door to McDonalds to buy my breakfast! Here is what the website promised-

"Your Morning Breakfast is full of hot and delicious options, making breakfast at the Comfort Inn the perfect way to start your day. Enjoy our free hot breakfast featuring eggs, meat, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal and more, including your choice of hot waffle flavors!"

Coffee was cold, no eggs, meat or yogurt as described above, not much of anything for that matter.

Problem with the fire alarm at 9:30 pm, all of the Waukegan Fire Department came out for this one! Nice to see how quickly they made it out even though it was only a false alarm.

I am a Gold Member and have stayed at a lot of Comfort Hotels across the country for business in the past., This hotel is not what I am used to getting at Comfort and will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
kenh777, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for your review. We view all reviews as an opportunuity to serve our guest better. In looking into your comments, I was able to find out that we had an extremely low occupancy that day you were here. And in order to assure top quality freshness for our breakfast items, we normally put out food by request.
We are always happy to prepare or get you any items you want, and we normally have a breakfast attendant there to assure you of that.

I will make sure however that the food levels are checked more frequently, so that even when we might have lower occupancy, that any and all guest still recieve the the same quality of breakfast. But the most important thing we want to do, is to make sure the food is hot and fresh for you. So allow me to apologize if we did not meet your expectations.

I hope if you are in the area again, you would consider giving us another chance to meet your expectations. Our goal is to get 100% satisfaction from our guest.

So thanks again for your feedback.

Ken Hasty

Been to Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan? Share your experiences!