“Recommended” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan

You added Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3031 Belvidere Rd, Waukegan, IL 60085 (Formerly Comfort Inn)   |
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Rockingham, North Carolina
“Recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011 via mobile

Convenient to Recruit Training Center. Wonderful staff. Will stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

i was in waukegan for my nephews graduation. i was booked for the red carpet inn which was totally disgusting there were nats in the bathroom and the room smelled so bad. I called the comfort inn and they gave my sister and i 2 rooms.This hotel was a godsent the place was clean. The manager KEN HASTY was so nice . he went out of his way for us.I smoke , he did not have any smoking rooms that night but he called me the next day and gave me another room. He also gave us directions to any where we wanted to go.All the staff were accomidating. We had a great stay. I would reccomend this hotel to any military family. Thanks KEN!!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011 via mobile

We were in Waukegan for our sons navy graduation. We originally booked at Americas best which turned out to be the worst. Just when I thought our trip was ruined I called the comfort inn in a panic andd spoke to Paul. He held a room for us and upon arrival we were so relieved to see a clean, well taken care of lobby that had a nice clean smell to it. The manager Ken went out of his way to make sure we were comfortable, he even carried our bags for us. The place was quiet and close to the base, and very accomidating. My family will stay there again and I would definatly reccomend it to all the military families out there.

• Stayed October 2011
kingman, az
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

we first made reservations across the highway at Quality Inn (which was totally disgusting) and this hotel was a godsend. our whole trip thus far had been a "griswold vacation" and the quality inn was the topper. comfort inn was just the place for us---it was very very clean, the rooms were nice and extremely quiet (we never heard anyone else) and the grounds were pleasant with no trash around. connected to internet very easily, breakfast was good, service was excellent, wendys was located next door for convenience. very good location to access the boot camp graduation ceremony and located by a kmart and several good places to eat. hubby had pizza delivered and loved it. our only regret was that we didnt reserve here first, but were thankful we could be accomodated at the last minute. no pool, but we didnt come to swim....everything was great and we had a nice visit. we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

This is the first time I have written a review. We booked this hotel before looking at previous reviews. When I read what was written I tried unsuccessfully to change to another hotel (all were booked). To my surprise and delight the hotel was very good. It was very clean and friendly with professional young men attending the front desk. Honesty might be taken a little too far. We left a tip for the maid the first day and she didn’t take it. I guess better safe than sorry. There were two small issues that I have to admit, I was looking for. A missing drain cover and I wanted more of a breakfast variety. I am sure if I had addressed these issues with management they would have been remedied. I should be clear there was a large variety of breakfast items, not just the usual pastry and coffee-oj but I am a very picky eater and I always diet and ramble on. I just want to let you know it is a great hotel and forget the bad reviews because they are not warranted.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Houston, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

My husband, oldest son and I stayed here June 4 for my youngest son's graduation from Navy bootcamp.

We received a military discount which was good. I booked 1 room with double beds.

When we arrived it was late and the young lady was nice during check in although she could use better customer service skills. The lobby was clean and quiet. When we got to the 2nd floor where our room was located and we opend the double doors into the hallway the smell of cigarette smoke was overwhelming. The room and bathroom was clean, bathroom was small and it served our needs just fine.

The breakfast buffet was sparse but it also served our needs fine since we needed to make our way to the graduation. The coffee was hot, orange juice was available and there was varieties of bagels and danish and you could make waffles, toast and have cereal.

My only complaint is the cigarette smoke. The smell was so overwhelming that the 2 nights we were there I couldn't sleep. I had to sleep with my head covered and a towel covering my nose to keep from inhaling the smoke.

I did mention to the manager during checkout about the smoke and he gave me some lame excuse about smoking rooms on the other end and smoke drifting down the hall and I told him that might be the case but not this time, it was the lady staying across the hall that kept chain smoking the whole entire time.

I read the bad reviews and it is what it is. I knew I wasn't getting a 3 or 4 star hotel room for $68, a swimming pool and all the amenities when I booked the room. We needed a clean place to stay while spending time with our son and the Comfort Inn accomplished that.

If you know what you are getting going in then you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

We booked this hotel because our son was graduating from Navy Basic Training and they offered a special rate for that of $69 per night. Upon arrival we discovered that this hotel does not have a pool (my own fault for not checking). The hotel itself is old, worn out and in definite need of a face lift. Not sure what "upgrades" were made in the rooms, but our's was still old style, smelled musty and I was appalled that they charged $69 per night (with the non-military rate being over $100!!!). This hotel is a discredit to the Comfort chain, which I have come to expect high standards from. This hotel offered more along the lines of a Motel 6 or Super 8. Not that I mind those types of hotels, but if I want that type of hotel, I STAY in that type of hotel.
To the hotel's credit, the front desk staff are very friendly and always smiling. That is about the only good thing to say about this location. We originally booked 3 nights but checked out after one and moved to the LaQuinta in Bannockburn where, for $74 a night we got an indoor heated pool, jacuzzi and wonderful breakfast layout.
There are so many other hotels in the area (the LaQuinta is also convenient to the Navy Base), just say no to this Comfort Inn and go elsewhere. For your money, you will be glad you did.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
kenhasty, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan, responded to this review, October 6, 2010
I am sorry you felt this way, but I am glad our staff was friendly and helpful.

We work hard to make everyones stay as comfortable as possible, and the majority of our guest leave here more than satisfied.

We hope you would consider us again, we will try to make sure your stay is to your satisfaction.

Been to Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan? Share your experiences!