“Not worth it, even for the cheap price.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Waukegan / Gurnee

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Waukegan / Gurnee
You added Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Waukegan / Gurnee to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Waukegan / Gurnee
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   411 S Greenbay Rd, Waukegan, IL 60085   |
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Chicago, Illinois
“Not worth it, even for the cheap price.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

I realize this is a very inexpensive hotel. Even so, there are certain things that are just not tolerable at any price. I have to say also that the owners/staff are extremely nice, especially with providing shuttle service to and from Six Flags, so I hope they are able to make some improvements to their hotel that will enable me to stay there again.

Hotel room looked cleaned and vacuumed, I detected no bedbugs, and the beds were pretty comfortable, but a musty smell permeated the room and hallways. Carpets had many stains, sheets had stains, there was peeling wallpaper, mold stains, chipped plaster, etc. in the bathroom. The glass/windows in the entire hotel are dirty. Television and remote were outdated. Could not adjust fridge temperature and all our stuff froze. Air conditioner made an irritating sound every few minutes, waking us up many times. Guests with loud children who slammed doors repeatedly woke us up all three nights of our stay. The hotel was almost empty, so why put this loud family in rooms so close to ours??

We expected to swim in the evenings in the pool we saw mentioned online, but the pool was closed and from the looks of the frosted glass and boxes filling the pool room, it won't be open any time soon.

We expected at least decent basics in the promised complimentary breakfast, and were again disappointed. The cereal was so stale it must have been sitting in those containers for weeks, if not months. I would have liked a cup of coffee, but there was an empty pot. So I tried the orange juice, and it was empty too. My son ate extremely stale froot loops and I had an English muffin, and there was really nothing much else offered.

There were windows wide open with no screens in the stairwells and ends of the hallway, where flies, mosquitoes and all other manner of bugs were free to enter. Most troubling, there was NO SECURITY in this hotel in terms of the outside doors. The front door is wide open, yet not once did I see anyone behind the desk as I entered or left the hotel, and in fact no one came several times after dinging the bell for service. Anyone could walk in at anytime and not be noticed. Even worse, the doors at either end of the hallway need no security key, because they are NOT LOCKED, EVER. Seriously, they do NOT lock. At one time, one of those doors was even purposely left standing wide open. This is a serious breach of security, especially at night. Anyone can walk in any door at any time without a security key. I did not appreciate this, especially traveling with a young child. Also, upon examination of our ground level room windows, I found them unlocked. Anyone could have come right in the window had I not noticed this.

If you're looking for a comfortable bed and a shower, you'll get them here for a pretty cheap price. But if you want a little more, especially security, I would not stay here. Again, the owners are nice, friendly people and I feel bad writing all this. Still, it's my hope that they will make some changes to their hotel soon, and then perhaps they will get more business.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This is not a Radisson hotel. It's an affordable hotel that you usually just spend enough time in it to sleep then go about your vacation fun. The staff was extremely friendly. Room was clean. Bed was soft and comfortable. Complimentary breakfast is basic but it's free so don't whine about it. We stayed two nights and went to the Bristol Renaissance Festival throughout day. Rooms around us quite. We would stay here again for the location, cost and it served our purpose. We would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Avoid This Place At All Cost.
NO POOL - Was told by desk attendant that the pool had been shut down, due to being to expensive to maintain. Wallpaper pealing off the wall in spots in the room we were in. Complimentary breakfast only server from 6-9am - not much to choose from. TV remote held together by scotch tape. Telephone held together with black electrical tape. Tub did not want to drain - maintained three inches of water - mass of hair in drain. Key card swipe on "Security" door to parking lot non-functional. Bathroom ceiling fan made the most ungodly screeching sound when running.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Do not recommend this place. The bathroom toilet leaked all over the floor out of the bottom, the pillows smelled like stripper, the place was dirty, we didn't have a remoat, the sheets didn't even fit the bed. Don't stay here!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Two star hotel should be a no star. Mold and dirt in bathroom. Inlaws room smelled like cat urine. Rigs in rooms dirty. Breakfast was to bad to eat. We went to McDonalds. Looking out our room to breezeway full of garbage on ground and weeds. Terrible

Stayed July 2014
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I chose this motel after searching online never having been to the area before. Just needed a place to crash after Six Flags. We got there at 9pm and I couldn't really tell what kind of area we were in, but it appears to be a little older part of town. Walking in the lobby was strange as most of the lights were off. The pool area has frosted glass, but I could see shadows of boxes so I don't know that the pool was even operational. It looked strange, not welcoming. The front desk was very nice though. We got our room and I'm not sure what the smell was, but it's not that clean smell you usually get when you open a hotel room door. The light bulbs aren't bright, which may be a blessing. The baseboards are coming off the walls and caulk was around every corner so clearly the walls are coming apart from each other and the ceiling. There are broken light switches and outlets. Half the lights weren't even plugged in! And yes, the walls are very thin, so pray for quiet neighbors. The carpet felt dirty...I didn't like walking on it in bare feet. The tub is so stained that my son thought it was dirty too. The sheets were clean but I can feel the springs in the mattress. There were hairs on the blanket on the bed that were not mine. It was a place to crash but if it hadn't been 9 o'clock and I was familiar with the area, I would have promptly left.

Ishpeming
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We have struggled for years on finding an affordable place to stay while visiting Great America. Motel 6 so far was the worst but this wasn't very great either. The beds were comfortable, the room was not very clean. The iron was moldy, fridge dirty, Closet door falling off, T.V didn't work so great but was a quiet place. The thing that upset me the most is that we chose to stay here due to the cheap price and continental breakfast but beings that the hotel did not have many guests they decided not to serve breakfast. I did go to the front desk and ask what was going on and she did get me the things I needed but I felt like I was being a pest. If it was a little cleaner then I would of given it a better rating. They did give us a great price and the beds were comfortable. The area was clean outside and the neighborhood was quiet but we were visiting on a weekday. Out of the 3 hotels I stayed at so far in Waukegan this rates 2nd, motel 6 was by far the worst.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Waukegan / Gurnee? Share your experiences!