“Almost like in Mexico” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Takeout
Grayslake, Illinois
“Almost like in Mexico”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Very good food and not your standard Taco Dishes. Liked the Chicken in Mole Sauce and also the whole Catfish. Prices are reasonable and "outstanding, friendly" service! Now this is not your romantic getaway place but it is very nice and very busy (Saturday 7:00PM) a fairly large place and when I looked around most tables were occupied by Mexicans with their family, I liked that. Around 8:00PM a singer walked around and was serenading to recorded background music. Not bad, it was fun! We will absolutely go back.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Chicago, Illinois
“Great authentic mexican food and atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

I visited Toluca on Washington at 1pm on a Saturday and it was PACKED. No parking, screaming children running wild...

The food was well worth it. We were immediately brought chips and four different salsas, my favorites were the green salsa (cilantro, lime, tomatillos) and a 'traditional' salsa that we white folks are used to. There was also a salsa served warm that was very spicy and very good.

There was an excellent Mariachi trio wandering around that added to the chaos.

I ordered a Torta (Cubana). I Highly recommend it to you meat lovers. It was a torta with crema, lettuce, generous avocado, and great meat. Ham, sausage, bacon, and steak. It seems like it would be overwhelming, but it worked really really well. Each meat was excellent on it's own. I had a hair in my food, and I didn't even care, the sandwich was that good.

A couple of people in our party had Bloody Marys, but made with beer. I don't remember what they were called, but they were very good and refreshing.

We went to Toluca because our original restaurant choice had a tree smush it from the recent storm. So glad we went!

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
near Chicago
“Favorite Taqueria in Waukegan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2008

As far as taquerias go (and there are plenty to choose from in Waukegan), Toluca is the best due to its extensive menu (including plenty of vegetarian options), quick service and ambience/live entertainment. My husband always gets the burrito al pastor, and I have tried several seafood dishes. If you are overwhelmed by the choices in Mexican restaurants in Waukegan, head to Toluca #2 (the one on Washington Street near Butrick). The only negative is that they have no parking lot.