“Nice new Holiday Inn Express” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Huntington Beach, CA
“Nice new Holiday Inn Express”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

Stayed here again for business. Very new hotel and very clean. Nice full breakfast in the morning. Stayed here because my company put me up here for a week of training.

Not a lot around the area. A small shopping area with a couple of nice restaurants but not a lot of variety to choose from.

The only complaint that I had, was that a couple of the front desk people had offered to find my frequent traveler number in their computer system but never followed through on finding it. I had left my number at home and wanted to get credit for my 5 night stay. First, they DID offer to add that and to find it in their system, but it never happened. Another day, I asked the person at the front desk if they could do that for me, they agreed but never did it. So, I finally found it myself on the internet and gave them my number on my last day there. My only frustration was, "don't offer to do something for a guest then don't do it". What the heck. If they had never offered, it would have been a different story.

But, all in all, a nice place to stay, but again not a lot around to see and do in the area.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
CHILR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan, responded to this review, April 22, 2010
Dear Guest,
We appreciate hearing about your stay. We are happy to learn that our amenities met your expectations. We will definitely work on our follow through. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know. It is from our guests that we know what we need to work on and what we need to maintain.
We hope that you will try us again whenever you are in the Waukegan area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

Rooms are OK hotel is newer has LCD TV's. Rooms are a bit loud. Heating and air-conditioning is hard to control and fan mode can't be left on while on heat. Wireless internet was good.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for letting us know how your stay was. As a new hotel, we appreciate each comment and the opportunity to improve our amenities and services. We will certainly address the issue of the auto-fan when heat is on and resolve it to the best of our capabilities.

We hope to see you again soon.
essex, uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

I stayed for 8 nights in total for business. The hotel is exactly what you would expect it to be given the type of hotel and the price of the hotel. The hotel is modern - it still feels new and is clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel doesn't have a restaurant and the local restaurants generally a poor selection - whilst there are plenty, they are mostly cheap, fast food. Breakfast was a limited selection with bananas as the only fruit. The free wifi was very useful.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
CHILR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan, responded to this review, November 30, 2009
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are glad to have met your expectations and are working hard to improve our hotel amenities and providing consistent quality accommodations in the Waukegan, IL area. We hope to see you again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

I stayed in this hotel a number of nights over a 3 week period while conducting business nearby. The days were long and the work situation was stressful. I selected the HI Express based on location and price. My first call was to see if there was availability that very night. I spoke with Daniel who was expremely accommodating and held a room for me for my arrival. Over the next 3 weeks, every time I entered the hotel for the evening, I was greeted by name with a smile and always asked what could be done to make my stay more comfortable. I dealt with Tony, Daniel and Ryan during my stay and all 3 of these gentlemen went out of their way to make sure that my stay was as comfortable as could be. The facility was clean and quiet and the beds and breakfast were more than adequate. What sets apart the HI Express is the quality of the staff. These young men recognized the situation and went out of their way to make my stay wonderful. Should business dictate, I will return to this facility and have recommended it to others.

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
CHILR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan, responded to this review, November 5, 2009
Dear Guest,
It truly made our day to know that our efforts were not left unnoticed. Providing a consistent positive experience is very important to us. Knowing we have impacted your stay positively encourages us to do even better, thank you for taking the time to let us know that you enjoyed your. We hope to see you again soon!
Green Bay, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

We stayed at this hotel on our vacation to Six Flags Theme Park. When we checked in everything seemed great until we got to our room and it was the wrong type of room, the desk clerk even read back the hotel room type. We went back to notify him that it was the wrong room. We reserved a double queen suite with sleeper sofa, wet bar, and refrigerator. He told us that the only one of those left was the room right off of the lobby (they had two rooms directly off of the lobby). So we took it. Our window was right next to the enterance of the hotel and you could hear every single person coming and going. You could also hear all the people gathered in the lobby loudly talking and walking past the room. We left for most of the day to go back to the park and returned to the room to find that you could see all the lights from the parking lot shining into the room, and the "black out" curtains are fake! Only the lighter linen type curtains went over the entire window, the other one was for decoration only. As before, people still constantly walking in and out of the lobby and we could hear them right outside the window. To make matters worse, it's 11:00pm and the people above us are jumping around all night and pounding on the floor. Then of course, we find that there is no wetbar set up! The next morning was probably the worst part of our stay. Woke up to really loud music being played on their grand piano out in the lobby. Opened the curtains to find some lady staring into the window talking on her cellphone. Went to get the complimentary breakfast which was a joke. Eggs were cold and watery, juice was litterally just orange water, everything else was decent enough to eat at least. There wasn't anywere to sit in the lobby for it, so we took everything back to the room. We left for check out and told them about all the problems. We weren't offered a single thing and were hurried out of there. I wrote the hotel after receiving an email to do a survey based on my stay and suprisingly got a reply from the manager there. We were offered a percentage off our stay for that night and a percentage off our stay if we ever go there again! First of all, bad offer and second of all, we never even received it to this day and we went there in June! AWEFUL HOTEL! Never had a problem at any Holiday Inn until I stayed here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
CHILR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan, responded to this review, October 6, 2009
Dear Guest,
We sincerely apologize that the service we provided did not meet your exepectations. Our goal is to provide quality service consistently. Your comments provide us with valuable information so we know that we need to work on delivering better service. We have looked into the noise issue and lighting issue you brought to our attention and we will try to resolve it the best possible way we can. Thank you for the opportunity to host your stay.
Chicagoland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

I've stayed here a couple times when visiting my husband at Great Lakes Naval Base, and I have a room booked here for the upcoming weekend. This is a new hotel, and it's VERY clean, which is my number one consideration when booking a hotel. The staff is pretty friendly. They have a hot continental breakfast. In my expereince, it includes scrambled eggs, biscuts and gravy (yum), cinnamon rolls (think store bought, def not bakery fresh), cereal, bagels/toast, bananas, coffee, juice, etc. There's probably more that I'm forgetting. The pool is kind of small, but I have yet to swim in it. They also have a whirlpool by the pool. Some of the rooms include jaccuzis (for an additional price). I stayed in one of those rooms for one of my stays, it was nice. Nothing super fancy, just a big deep tub with some jets. But those rooms cost a little extra. The beds are VERY comfortable. The TVs are flat screens. They have free wireless access, which I think all hotels should consider a requirement for guests. There was one time when it wasn't working, I just called the front desk, they reset the router and it was working a few minutes later (I have that same probably at home on occassion). As for the "thin walls" I find that it is pretty much the same as what you would find at any hotel. I could hear my neighbors TV and I think even snoring at one point, but that's what you'll find at pretty much any other hotel, so good luck avoiding that.

Nearby, there is a bowling alley, some dining options, a Wal-Mart. Guree is a few minutes away to the north.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this hotel and I'll continue to stay there when I visit my husband at Great Lakes.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
CHILR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan, responded to this review, August 6, 2009
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your positive stay experience. We appreciate your business and loyalty. Our staff is committed to making your every stay a success. Please do not hesitate to let us know if we have missed any opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

Brand new facility (or at least I think it was new - it looked and felt new). Extremely courteous staff during check-in and check-out. Large spacious comfortable rooms. Love the flat screen TV. Definitely would stay again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
CHILR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan, responded to this review, July 28, 2009
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your positive stay experience. We work hard to ensure that we provide the best guest service possible. We hope to see you again soon whenever you are in the Waukegan-Gurnee area.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waukegan? Share your experiences!